• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

G43 Sniper?

Not sure what to make of this, but a recent test of real life SVT vs. G43 I've read in a german gun mag clearly states that the G43 is highly inprecise on the first "cold" shot. Something to do with the oil in bore after the last cleaning and other stuff inherent in the construction.

They basically argued that it would have been worthless as a sniper rifle because the first shot can be off by as much as 5 inches whereas other shots may be well within an inch.

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
Not sure what to make of this, but a recent test of real life SVT vs. G43 I've read in a german gun mag clearly states that the G43 is highly inprecise on the first "cold" shot. Something to do with the oil in bore after the last cleaning and other stuff inherent in the construction.

They basically argued that it would have been worthless as a sniper rifle because the first shot can be off by as much as 5 inches whereas other shots may be well within an inch.
Interesting. But I think most shooters before they test a gun either shoot a "fowling shot" that will go astray and that is not counted as part of the group or shoot a round or two into the dirt first to condition the barrel to the bullets. It seems that would be easily fixable by just shooting off a round before you went into action.

I have a magazine that show test results for an unscoped g-43 and they seem to be very good. I'll scan it and post a pic.

Edit: Here you go

g43test3um.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you want all your shots to be consistent, you either fire from a clean barrel (cleaning between shots) or shoot a fouling shot or shots, then fire your group - at least with modern, non-corrosive ammo. The problem lies in that much of the ammo used during WWII by some countries was corrosive. While the powder itself might be non-corrosive, the primers were. The compounds used to ignite the powder charge in the cartridge case left metallic salts in the bore, which are highly agroscopic - they attract moisture (water) and promote rust in the barrel. If you're in constant action it's not as much of an issue, but any good soldier would clean his rifle as soon as he had a few minutes of relative peace and quiet.

However, the assumption of that magazine is that a sniper wouldn't be aware of the clean bore vs. dirty bore difference in shot placement. I can't believe that anyone competent enough to be assigned as a sniper wouldn't have at least a basic understanding of such a simple principle of shooting. Any "sniper" that didn't know the principle obviously never spent much time practicing with his rifle and deserved what he got. I bet they wouldn't have checked the accuracy between different lots of ammo in their rifles, either.

Upvote 0
[CoFR]BooBoo said:
If you want all your shots to be consistent, you either fire from a clean barrel (cleaning between shots) or shoot a fouling shot or shots, then fire your group - at least with modern, non-corrosive ammo. The problem lies in that much of the ammo used during WWII by some countries was corrosive. While the powder itself might be non-corrosive, the primers were. The compounds used to ignite the powder charge in the cartridge case left metallic salts in the bore, which are highly agroscopic - they attract moisture (water) and promote rust in the barrel. If you're in constant action it's not as much of an issue, but any good soldier would clean his rifle as soon as he had a few minutes of relative peace and quiet.

However, the assumption of that magazine is that a sniper wouldn't be aware of the clean bore vs. dirty bore difference in shot placement. I can't believe that anyone competent enough to be assigned as a sniper wouldn't have at least a basic understanding of such a simple principle of shooting. Any "sniper" that didn't know the principle obviously never spent much time practicing with his rifle and deserved what he got. I bet they wouldn't have checked the accuracy between different lots of ammo in their rifles, either.

Great post BooBoo. Thanks for clearing up the "fouling" (not fowling, lol) shot thing. "Agroscopic metal salts"... interesting.

Upvote 0
Neither the SVT-40 or the G.43 were suitable as sniper rifles. They both suffered from accuracy issues. This is why the Russians stopped production of their SVT.40 snipers in 1943 and went back to the mosin-nagant.

With the G.43 it was Hitlers intention to equip every soldier with a scoped semi-automatic rifle hence all but the late war rifles had the scope rail on them. However quality problems with the scopes meant that they lost their zero quickly and were essentually usless, and they never managed to produce enough of them.

As a sniper rifle the G.43 was also unpopular because its long range accuracy was not of the same standard as the Kar98k snipers.

Not that this will have much affect in the game. :D

D3terioNation: They preferred the Kar98k hands down. Snipers don't need semi-auto rifles as additional shots increase the risk of being detected. Where the semi-auto shines is in the role of squad Marksman, that is a shooter of above average ability that is issued a scoped rifle and stays with the squad to give it that extra bit of range.

Remember guys, adding a scope to a rifle does not automatically make it "sniper rifle". What defines a sniper rifle is the role played by the guy pulling the trigger.

Upvote 0
[CoR]MiccyNarc said:
Nothing wrong with that. A weapon is only as good as the human operating it.

ofcourse, but it means i have to be twice as good as the guy opperating that weapon in order to beat him/kill him with for example the rifle.
any half decent player wil be able to own the scoreboard with it and a really good player could be near too unstopable.

if worse comes to worse we'll have a constant run on the scoped semi's and the whole game long we'll have people going "give me the scoped semi" "give it to me"

i think what im trying to say is i hope it dusnt become the new whore weapon, if your all familiar with the term. i really hope it will have some clear disadvantages.

Upvote 0