• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rainbow6 Lockdown Demo is out

The Rainbow Series is dead :(...

Ok, that the planning phase, which was one of the main selling points of the previous versions to me, was gone was already known. But not only the planning is gone, at least in the demo, you can't chose those three other fellows that go with you (Domingo "Ding" Chavez) out on a mission.

Basically, the "on the fly" planning is the same as in SWAT 4, you press the order button and then are allowed to chose the appropriate order. Locked doors work as usual: chose preferred method of breaking, and then of entry. They stack up, end then, after finally giving the go order (g-key), they'll do it. Allthough, if the doors are not locked, your only possible order is open. No "entry", no "flashbang", just open and they open it immediately, so no getting in position or letting you chose the right moment to do so. And, to make things worse, only one door in the three level demo is locked.

Other than that, you can order your team to follow you, to hold the position, or to go to a certain position. Your team though always sticks together, so entering a room from two sides simultaneously, one door must be locked, so you can stack up your team there, and you yourself enter from the other one alone.

But then, the level design does not allow this. In fact, the only room with two possible entry points is the one with the locked door. Other that that, the levels are not the openly structured buildings with multiple entry points, but tunnels, where you start at point A and have to get to point B via one single possible route. The only difference in that is level three, the final of the demo mission: there you ahve to get from a to B, and then back again to C, which is the half distance from A to B. And so your trigger finger does not get bored, the level is filled again with enemies when you are on your way back again.

Now talking about enemies, lets talk about their AI and behaviour. Their AI can be called static, as the tangos reacted the very same way in all my three demo runs. Which leads me to the conclusion, that they did not redo the old, relatively bad KI, but replaced it with a 100% scripted shooting house behaviour. You reach a certain point, tangos will rush out a door. Other tangos, only 20 meters away don't bother, no matter if you used silencers or not and only spring to life once you get past a certain point in their direction. Which leads them to get in cover at the very same cars every time you encounter them. Somehow, I felt like I was playing Serious Sam: I go somewhere, enemies rush in, I shoot them, move on, rinse and repeat.

Also, the relatively high tango count did it's role in making me think I am in an action game, and not a tactical shooter: 80 of them are spread out across the three level mission. But don't worry about their numbers, as you do not only endure more damage (three hits, no matter where they hit, as it seems), but they do not aim very well anyway (with those that go behind cover shooting the their own cover instead of me). Also, while hostage rescue was dangerous in the previous R6 titles, when Tangos just shot them once they discovered you and you weren't fast enough, you can now rush in with blazing guns, the hostages won't be harmed unless you yourself kill them.

You, on the other hand, are very unlikely to miss. Firstly, because this is the very first part of the R6 franchise which has ironsights. The rifle sights look quite nice, until you discover that these sights are two sprites, one for the front, one for the back, which move at different ratios to make them look "3D". The weapon themselves handle pretty good. So good, that when sighted you have literally no recoil, and when shooting hipped, you will hit as long as the target is in the rather wide area of your crosshairs, just as if you had a slight auto-aim. So hitting tangos is not what I would call challenging.

Your own team got a little bit more "character". Instead of the unidentifiable "tango down" from the previous parts, every character has his own distinctive voice, saying things like "Et voil

Last edited:
Upvote 0