• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Latest Steam Screens "Hand Signals"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyXwire

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006
In the latest Gamescon Sneak Peak ("peek" btw) previews on the Steam Group site, we're treated to a signaling Landser figure. The new German troopers look great, but the signal animation shown makes we wonder whether we're seeing some of the game's upcoming player communicating ability. Whether it's just scripted AI animation, or player keyed signaling, the figures in these screenshots are looking very fluid indeed.

37bf5789a65caa5ffdb7bdec23fcbacc196cb027.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do have another of those nitpicky observations, and it has to do with the signaling soldier above.....rifles are a bit unbalanced (and heavily weighted) when held as seen in the above screenshot.

First, the tendency would be for the wrist to twist downwards towards the unbalanced end of the weapon (here should mean w/muzzle angled downwards). I understand that this signaling soldier may have just relaxed his grip on the rifle to signal, but then I think his left hand would be more centered on the stock from the start, and not at the trigger position (it is a "right-handed" weapon anyway).

Just a thought.

Upvote 0
There are plenty of comments about the recent screens, let's try and remember it's all a WIP. The weapon arm could have been moving when the screenshot was taken.

That said, it's completely possible to hold the gun in that way should someone choose to in reality using the branch of their thumb...I can hold a guitar that weighs about 4kg by the neck and support the body just fine...

Upvote 0
Anyone else think the lighting on the face and hands looks a little like this at the moment?
The figure lighting effects apparently don't self-shadow at the moment in regards to the orientation of this one soldier's face and his helmet, as his forehead is lighted under the helmet brim as if in direct sunlight.

No telling if this is an WIP issue or just a engine/programming limitation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hand signals would be very nice. They can be tied to the voice commands or spotting function (if there is one). So if you spot an enemy you automatically point in his general direction.

Tbh. from a graphical point of view RO:HoS isn't going to be the new reference.

Does it have to be? It looks great already. A game's atmosphere and the overall gameplay experience are much more important than graphics will ever be. It's not just the technical things (textures, polygons) that contribute to better looking graphics, attention to detail and realistic-looking maps are just as if not more important. I couldn't care less what the 'experts' think about RO's graphics if the game gives me an immersing WWII experience.

Upvote 0
There are plenty of comments about the recent screens, let's try and remember it's all a WIP. The weapon arm could have been moving when the screenshot was taken.

That said, it's completely possible to hold the gun in that way should someone choose to in reality using the branch of their thumb...I can hold a guitar that weighs about 4kg by the neck and support the body just fine...

That is true, but still a finger on the trigger while moving heavy unbalanced object with one hand looks frightening even if it's just a game. :eek:

I'm kinda on and off with the graphics. Some screens and in some scenarios it looks great while some reminds me of Roost. But I guess it's because lots of objects aren't finished yet. I have to say I'm waiting this game more than any other one at the moment, I have huge expectations for this title. Some big issues of RO(animations, movement) seems to have gotten good overhaul, plus it does look good enough.

I see theres a lot running screens with gun being held with one hand, so does it mean we have faster running option? How about faster crawling in there aswell?

Upvote 0
I have to say I'm waiting this game more than any other one at the moment, I have huge expectations for this title. Some big issues of RO(animations, movement) seems to have gotten good overhaul, plus it does look good enough.
This is also where RO got dog-eared for me too. Fluidity of figure movement is a must for me now. Modeling and textures are looking good, but the animations must be smooth not to blow the immersiveness many of us are expecting today (this is baseline stuff anymore).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.