• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tanks - David meets Goliath!

[TW]schneidzekk

Machete Engineering.
Staff member
Oct 10, 2005
ATL
www.tripwireinteractive.com
Tanks - David meets Goliath!

Well, we promised to give you more on the subject of the tanks in Ostfront, so here we go. What we thought we'd show you this time is more on the general features of the vehicles in-game, using 2 new entrants to demonstrate.

Panzerkampfwagen VIE "Tiger" - German heavy tank

Lets start with something reasonably familiar to the WWII fans - the German Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausf E "Tiger". While there were thousands of minor variations on the Tiger during its production run, the one we have in-game is modelled off a late-1942 Ausf E. Lets start with a look at the exterior, in a fairly classic camo pattern:

And following that, we'll show off the driver's position in the Tiger. Yes, that is a partial steering wheel for the driver, not levers. Unusual, but thats what they had. And, yes, it turns! Also, you get to see the basic view for the driver, through the rather nasty little view-port. Don't worry, though - there are other views for the driver!

T-60 - Soviet light tank

Well, that was the "Goliath" of the tank world - now for the "David". After much messing about on the forums, we'll confirm the new Soviet T-60 light tank in-game! For those who don't know it, this is a 2-man tank the Soviets produced from late 1941, most of the way through the war. Armed with the TNSh-20 20mm auto-cannon, plus a co-axial DT light machine gun, it is a dangerous opponent at close range - and very dangerous to infantry too. Not forgetting that it is pretty quick! The TNSh-20 has a rate of fire of around 200 rounds per minute, using 58-round belts. So - some pictures of the exterior:

And we'll finish off this post with a quick view from the commander's position in the T-60. This shows the view when the commander is standing tall and proud, hatch open, looking around, waiting to have his head shot off !

OMG I am first poster.....lol.

EDIT: Ok, I had to leave for work when I made the first post, so now I can properly congratulate the devs on having the best in-game depiction of a Tiger I to date, and the best, ehrm I mean, only depiction of a T-60 :D

These tanks look like they are made for a tank simulator, the little details like the breach of the gun in the one T-60 turret pic and the exhaust gas are fantastic. I am also sure now that all the tanks will have co-axials, and limited ammo, the two things which I have been wanting since the beginning.

One question on the tank exhaust: is it just a static plume coming out the tailpipe, or when you rev the engine will it cough out a nice cloud :) That would only add icing to the cake.

That also got me thinking about the Tiger turret. I know that the turrets will have realistic revolution rates, but will the Tiger have different rates depending on whether the engine is high reving or not, will it switch to manual hand crank speed when you are just idling for a long time?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yoshiro said:
Haha you have no idea how fun it is to be sitting in the tiger listening to " pink pink pink pink pink pink pink BOOM" - no more pinking sounds
Ah, but I want to chase down infantry with that 20mm cannon...and there weren't any panzerfausts back in 1941-42 ;)

Also, you get to see the basic view for the driver, through the rather nasty little view-port. Don't worry, though - there are other views for the driver!

So does that mean we get periscopes as well?

Upvote 0
OMFG! I haven't even read the 1st post or looked at the pictures. Just wanted to comment!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Be back with appropriate comments..!

Edit:

homer-drool.gif

Edit#2:
Fan-focking-tastic! The Tiger looks delish! Exhaust! omfg! nice! Lovely looking interior. So some were panzer-grey on the inside. eh?

T-60 tanks looks great. Awesome shot of it firing!Great to see something different. On the commander view, it looks like you could fire MG with left hand and canon with right. I wonder if you could shoot both at the same time in game? Man, that would be pwnz0rific. Like a sort of mini-Chuck Norris.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TheBeagle said:

Don't forget "Mmmmm...David vs. Goliath...Glalalglalala"

Wow. Very impressive Devs. Good work!

Heh, I knew there was going to be a T-60. Thanks for that 20mm hint.

I can't wait to use that 20mm autocannon to knock out tracks and flank bigger tanks. I just hope the turret rings can get jammed up by 20mm fire:eek:

Plus, with Coaxial MG's in the T-60, I can't see why they wouldn't be in the other tanks. So horay! We've got co-axial MGs. It's also great to hear that the autocannon will need to be reloaded (58 round mags). So I'd be surprised if the MG's didn't also require this.

Water reflections look great too. Everything looks really polished.

BTW: Does that compass in the Tiger on the left work, and is that a functioning gear shift on the right?

Wow, you guys have made my day. Congrats and here's hoping for a speedy release.

Upvote 0