• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Nades......

Maddoxx

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2011
Earth
Lately i have more and more started to get disappointed with the handnades.

Unless i am demo, the handnades seem to be of insignificant use then most of the times nades do not kill but just push zeds aside and then the zeds just keep walking forward.

Handnades seem to be too underpowered in KF. A single handnade should kill any zed except sc or fp in a radius of some feet. Would be fun if in real life handnades would just push soldiers aside and then they can keep running forward as if nothing had happened......it was just a temporary strong wind.

The only time I use grenades in KF -
-Imminent death
-On demo | on support
-When a teammate has zeds around him and I want to clear them away

I've long thought we should have two stacks of grenades. Flashbangs, which make the zeds move away from the point of impact, and hand grenades, which just explode.
3 of each, IMHO it'd work pretty well.

Upvote 0
Grenades have many uses, but most of them are not related to actually killing anything.

-All perks - Breaking down welded dooors
-All perks - Resetting FP autorage timer
-Support/demo - essential in FP speedkills
-Firebug - very safe resetting FP autorage timer / setting yourself free when surrounded
-Medic - creating tactical 'fear spots' to facilitate escape or give other players time to move away from danger / very safe resetting FP autorage timer / setting yourself free when surrounded / oh yeah, they're supposed to be a healing tool also.

Upvote 0
Grenades have many uses, but most of them are not related to actually killing anything.

-All perks - Breaking down welded dooors
-All perks - Resetting FP autorage timer
-Support/demo - essential in FP speedkills
-Firebug - very safe resetting FP autorage timer / setting yourself free when surrounded
-Medic - creating tactical 'fear spots' to facilitate escape or give other players time to move away from danger / very safe resetting FP autorage timer / setting yourself free when surrounded / oh yeah, they're supposed to be a healing tool also.

Having this explained for be nice. I don't quite get it. :/

Upvote 0
The standard grenades are fine how they are, if a Commando can use frags and on-perk weapons to speedkill a 6 man HoE fleshpound by himself (I'll admit it's tricky but still) I'm pretty sure they don't need any kind of buff. Just learn how to use them.

Not any kind of aspect in gameplay can be excused by "learn to play". It is still a fact that the nades are way too underpowered.

A nade is supposed to be a terrifying military ordnance that noone would like to be close to or would panic if one saw one tossed your way. In KF most nades only push the zeds aside and then they just keep walking forward fine and dandy. Not fine! And even worse.....most players only start with a few nades anyway!!! What are they for then? Firreworks? Used by contractors for breaking doors?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Would be fun if in real life handnades would just push soldiers aside and then they can keep running forward as if nothing had happened......it was just a temporary strong wind.
That made me lol.

Well the best way to use the grenades (if you wanna count the Incedinary/Medinade) is by throwing them into small hallways, the zeds would barly have enough room to really get away and you can kill at lease 4 of each (Stalker/Crawler/Clot)

Upvote 0
Spoiler!

I didn't say learn to play I said learn how to use them specifically. :p
I actually think a fair bit of things in KF are like this, look at the M14 as another example, plenty of people will tell you it's terrible because it has bad iron sights, etc etc. I've never met an experienced player who told me the M14 is bad, some even regard it as a sort of swiss army knife god gun. I believe in one of the other sub-forums here there's even a thread complaining about the Commando perk in its entirety being underpowered. I'm rambling though.

Spoiler!

The LAW is supposed to be an anti-tank rocket, doesn't that mean it should be able to blow anything in KF including the patriarch apart in one shot? For games like this; Balance > Realism.

Upvote 0
Having this explained for be nice. I don't quite get it. :/

FP auto rage timer (about 10 seconds of seeing a player) resets on any of 3 conditions: breaking line of sight, performing an attack, or evading grenade.

Tossing a grenade somewhere where FP will try to avoid it, but far enough not to deal him too much damage is a way to keep it calm. Firebug and medic nades doesn't have enough power to trigger damage threshold rage (unless FP stands in the med nade smoke for several seconds), so they are extra safe.

Upvote 0
I think it's silly how zeds are happy to sprint face first into your waves of bullets, but instantly and automatically avoid nades without even glancing at them. Otherwise they're pretty devoid of AI.
Perhaps clots and gorefasts (I see them as the worst offenders) should have a weakness towards nades on higher difficulties.
That way the nades will be just the same against scrakes & fleshpounds but also useful again for their original purpose.

Upvote 0
I didn't say learn to play I said learn how to use them specifically. :p
I actually think a fair bit of things in KF are like this, look at the M14 as another example, plenty of people will tell you it's terrible because it has bad iron sights, etc etc. I've never met an experienced player who told me the M14 is bad, some even regard it as a sort of swiss army knife god gun. I believe in one of the other sub-forums here there's even a thread complaining about the Commando perk in its entirety being underpowered. I'm rambling though.

The LAW is supposed to be an anti-tank rocket, doesn't that mean it should be able to blow anything in KF including the patriarch apart in one shot? For games like this; Balance > Realism.

You are right about the LAW, so this means TWI should further look into some balanceissues. This time it is not about OP, but nades and, i guess, the LAW being UP!!!

Considering balance vs realism, i would moreso look over the nades than the LAW that have 22 rockets as demo lv 6 and can kill a sc or fp with 2 rockets to the chestarea. So....the LAW seems strong enough already or it would become OP!

Other perks, except demo and support, on the other hand, have only a few nades and they are too weak!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you can't kill most things in wave without buffed nades, you must be doing something wrong. The standard nades are fine the way they are. If you find them too lacklustre, play demo or support; simple. The only times that I use the nades outside of support/demo/medic/'bug is to break doors, free teammates, buy me some time by making the zeds back up, or do an FP combo with an off perk M32.

Sorry, but I just can't see a point in buffing the nades. IMHO, they are fine the way they are :)

Upvote 0
If you can't kill most things in wave without buffed nades, you must be doing something wrong. The standard nades are fine the way they are. If you find them too lacklustre, play demo or support; simple. The only times that I use the nades outside of support/demo/medic/'bug is to break doors, free teammates, buy me some time by making the zeds back up, or do an FP combo with an off perk M32.

Sorry, but I just can't see a point in buffing the nades. IMHO, they are fine the way they are :)

The nades as nondemo or nonsupp are just as ineffective as the knife as a nonzerk! It happens so often i stand and slash a clot +10 times at throat until it dies???? WHAT? It cant be? I have to keep slashing a mere clot so many times?

Upvote 0
The standard grenades are fine how they are, if a Commando can use frags and on-perk weapons to speedkill a 6 man HoE fleshpound by himself (I'll admit it's tricky but still) I'm pretty sure they don't need any kind of buff. Just learn how to use them.
I've played for 850+ hours (and that's only what steam's counted) and I still don't know how to play. What few people I know that DO know how to play have at least 1,500 hours or so logged. That's the problem with KF and I daresay the cancer that will kill it.

Upvote 0
The nades as nondemo or nonsupp are just as ineffective as the knife as a nonzerk! It happens so often i stand and slash a clot +10 times at throat until it dies???? WHAT? It cant be? I have to keep slashing a mere clot so many times?

Alt fire once at the head and it'll decap anything under a siren.

If you don't decap, you've missed the head and also flinched whatever you were attacking, so it'll move it's hitbox. Unless it's a gorefast, just back up and let it reset, and take another go.

Offperk knife is actually pretty good if you know how to use it.

Upvote 0