• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG ramboing

Gudenrath

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2011
So the recent patch nerf obviously didn't work. MG ramboing is as rampant as ever, and machinegunners are still able to outdraw any assault troopers in close combat from sprinting to firing.

I still propose implementing the RO1 system, where hipfiring the mg requires right click, where the machinegunner then enters hipfiring mode which considerably slows hims down as well as takes a short while to enter.

I was about to write something similar in 'Ideas and Suggestions'. Consider the following:

1. The Gunner+MG34 combination in game is used by some as a de facto assault class, not support. It is now a leading element on cqb maps; just hop on any busy server to see this.
  2. The MG34 is easily controlled on full auto from standing by the experienced user, and has no obvious accuracy penalty.
  3. There is no inertia or traverse penalty; the gun can be turned as fast as the mouse is moved.
  4. Prone gunners in decent positions are extremely difficult to dislodge as they can rotate on the spot at very high speed; meaning they can cover a 180 arc with little difficulty.

It is already a superb belt-fed weapon with a high cyclic rate, accurate across the entire map and lethal with a good supporting gunner, but frankly, it is being abused.

It is not unreasonable to ask for the mechanics to be trimmed a little to stop it being used to outclass conventional assaulters, which I am seeing more and more and more of as people level up with it.

People say an Mg34 can be hip fired; I dare say it can, but this is pretty extraordinary. Anyone that has lifted one, let alone fired one would realise this is folly.

The MKB I can just about live with - its presence does make a vague sort of sense in the context of the game, and it is used more or less as it should be - but MG super soldiers are becoming very annoying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They slowed down the speed that you can move and fire effectively which is good.

They did not take into account the size and weight of the weapon with regards to raising it to fire compared to the other weapons available. You should require an extra mouse click to raise the weapon level to simulate the extra time and effort required to bring the mgs into firing position. Simple as that.

Players with mgs should not be able to outdraw players with smaller lighter weapons.

Upvote 0
O
They slowed down the speed that you can move and fire effectively which is good.

They did not take into account the size and weight of the weapon with regards to raising it to fire compared to the other weapons available. You should require an extra mouse click to raise the weapon level to simulate the extra time and effort required to bring the mgs into firing position. Simple as that.

Players with mgs should not be able to outdraw players with smaller lighter weapons.

I would like to see the rotation speed slowed while prone too. Right you can spin like a top. It means folk can cover big areas without worrying about their flank, and put down a lot of fire pretty much instantly in any direction .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
O

I would like to see the rotation speed slowed while prone too. Right you can spin like a top. It means folk can cover big areas without worrying about their flank, and put down a lot of fire pretty much instantly in any direction .

Not really--it takes several mouse drags to turn around completely when prone.

~~~~~

The MG hipfire patch made things more convincing when the user is actually firing the weapon, but my objection to hipfire to begin with was based on the fact that the weapon is eternally, irreversibly in a hipfire position no matter how you crouch, jog, or jump around.

The sprint-to-hipfire transition is actually not all that fast--it seems like other weapons are indeed ready to fire more quickly. It's still fast, but not gamebreaking.

Really, I do wish the Iron-sights-to-enter-hipfire solution had been implemented. Gluing the weapon in hipfire stance automatically means that catching a machine gunner "off-guard" in close quarters just means they have a better than even chance of blowing you away through sheer spin-around-and-hold-LMB luck, since they don't have to use any player key input to ready themselves for hipfire.

Ah well. Some people argued very fiercely against the iron-sights-to-hipfire, and I guess they've won for now.

Upvote 0
Are MG's really that bad in Ramboing? Is this on realisem or Classic? (action has no relation to reality so it cant count.)

I play assault whenever i can and find MG's easy because they have to go into a full stop when they fire and not move. Where in an assault you can actually move while going on full auto....

Upvote 0
Are MG's really that bad in Ramboing? Is this on realisem or Classic? (action has no relation to reality so it cant count.)

I play assault whenever i can and find MG's easy because they have to go into a full stop when they fire and not move. Where in an assault you can actually move while going on full auto....

I think in Classic, you are just less likely to see it because of how most of the players actually play their classes.

But I have seen it once in awhile and its usually a certain player who seems to routinely use this behavior over and over. In other words, they are just using the mg as a bigger smg...

Upvote 0
I 101% agree with you. I have been playing RO since it was just an unreal tournament mod. I can honestly say this is the only part of the game that frustrates me. I just recently played RO1 last week to remind myself how the MGs work. Wow, what a difference and RO1 implements them so much better. Sure you can hip fire them but that was ALWAYS a last resort in RO. I would love for this to be removed as I feel it makes people use them for the wrong reason. I enjoyed having MGs covering me in RO1 instead of leading the way in RO2.

Upvote 0
I like to play the game using the MG34 or MG42 (whatever model it is...sorry, I should know) and try to use it in a way that provides longer range covering fire for the hopefully advancing team mates and/or flanking cover when it is apparent all are concentrating on the center or trying to advance in force on an opposite flank. But, a few times, when I have been catching up as the team advances, I have come around a corner in a trench or popped into a building just as an opponent does the same and I have no choice but "pull the trigger" and try to aim the MG from its left leaning position toward the opponent. Mostly, I have an adrenaline rush when that happens and I think my ability to survive the encounter is 50/50 at best. I am not trying to "Rambo" the game at all...I find the encounters nerve-wracking...but that's what I like about this game.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
But, a few times, when I have been catching up as the team advances, I have come around a corner in a trench or popped into a building just as an opponent does the same and I have no choice but "pull the trigger" and try to aim the MG from its left leaning position toward the opponent. Mostly, I have an adrenaline rush when that happens and I think my ability to survive the encounter is 50/50 at best. I am not trying to "Rambo" the game at all...I find the encounters nerve-wracking...but that's what I like about this game.:rolleyes:

I doubt anyone would fault you for doing that. I myself have switched from pistol to mg in order to set it up somewhere, then some enemy comes around the corner and I panic fire. It happens.

Upvote 0