• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Did Someone say Ideas and Suggestions?

DieFledermaus

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2006
OK. Here are my list of suggestions, some of which have been mentioned elsewhere by me and others. I do not see them as actually being put into RO. But I think it would be cool if they were there.

1. Separate game mode with limited lives.

I have been looking for this for years. Maybe you get six lives or ten, maybe even that could be server-optional. This would cut down on the Rambo maniac with an smg syndrome. You have to be more careful but you still get to respawn, but not indefinitely.

If you get killed by a teammate you do NOT lose one of your lives. If you kill a teammate you do NOT lose one of your lives IF you say “sorry” and they say “np” or “no problem”.

2. Ammo has to be searched for. When someone is killed their nades and ammo do not just lay there for all to see. If you see a body or a gun on the ground you must do a “search” of X seconds to see if there is any ammo or nades to be had. Ideally this would be a random thing. Just because you had 6 magazines on you when you died does not mean all six are available for search and recovery.

3. Random ammo distribution. I would like to see some games where I do not spawn with 35,000 clips of ammo. I think I have ran out of ammo in a rifle or semiauto like once ever in all the time I have played RO and I am by no means a reckless player.

4. Wound effects. I hate it when I get shot and have to slow down or limp, but that makes it more important not to get shot. I would like to see this go even farther. If you get shot above the waist you drop your weapon. If you get shot below the waist you fall down. If you get shot in the chest and do not die you both drop your weapon and fall down. As much as I hate being crippled temporarily, I hate it worse when I shot some guy with a steel jacketed bullet from close range, painting the wall behind him with his blood and viscera, only to have him keep right on shooting at me.

5. Bind Your Wounds feature. If you get hit you can run the BYW feature. Maybe it was not a bad hit so the BYW takes no time and does nothing (i.e. you checked to make sure you were ok and you were.) If the wound was more serious it could take anywhere from 3 to, say 10 seconds, to run the BYW. You are vulnerable at that time and cannot shoot or run away. If you do not run the BYW there is a chance that you will not stop limping or you cannot stand up or yo might even bleed to death.

6. New map types.

A. One type that would work with many maps already in existence would be a variation on the idea that you cannot cap forward objectives until you capture nearer ones. Only this would feature a “front line” of three or four strong points across the axis of advance. The attackers must take all of the front strong points before the deeper objectives are cappable. If the defenders manage to get back and take one of those forward check points the rear objectives do not gray out. Rather the attackers just spawn farther back because their lines of supply and communications have been breached or threatened.

B. An “Alamo” type map that is made up of a single building or complex like a monastery. There would be an outer circle of several objectives, more than can be adequately held. The inner circle(s) of objectives are closer together and may afford cross fire from one to the other. In the center of it all is the inner citadel, perhaps a bunker or chapel, etc. The attacking force could choose to attack from one side and cut their way to the heart and capture the citadel and then mop up any holdouts elsewhere. Or they could lay siege and take the entire outer circle of objectives, then the inner circle to surround the citadel. But time might run out on them (which represents the defenders holding out long enough to be relieved by reinforcements from outside).

7. Self Defense. I wish I could take on someone with a rifle and bayonet when I only had my bare hands and possibly parry and deflect his attack and even knock him down with my fist or a knife. This could be done by programming a game so the moment you do not have a weapon in your hand the secondary attack could be a block/deflection move and the attack be a strike move. Even a kick high and kick low could be put in by hitting a function key along with the attack key.

8. Being able to shoot people in an open halftrack or drop a nade into it. Or how about jumping on a tank, opening the top hatch and dropping a nade or sachel into it?

And finally,

9. Campaign Mode. This is a server set up so the attacker takes map #1, moves to map #2, if they do not take map #2 after two rounds you return the map #1. So the attacker must get through a series of maps, laid out logically (i.e. 1. open countryside, 2. outskirts of village or city, 3. inner city, 4. last hold out.) so you advance to a final goal, or have to retreat over ground you already fought over. The server owner could pick what maps and in what order and how many there would be. If the defender pushes the attacker all the way back to map #1 and then holds it for one round the defender wins the campaign.

10. Switch Sides. I have seen one server do this already. Basically when a round ends the two teams switch spawn points and objectives. That was a blast! It made some old, tired maps fun again. It would work very well with a Campaign Mode as mentioned above. After the campaign was over, it would start anew only with the teams switching roles as defender and attacker.

Well that’s in for now. I know most of this is not entirely new, I just wanted to put it all in one place.

Last edited:
DieFledermaus said:

4. Wound effects.

5. Bind Your Wounds feature.

No! Wounds and especially healing has nothing to lose in any realistic game that does not stretch over weeks. The RO approach is just as realistic as you can be in a FPS: Either you are in a shape to fight, or you are not.
Wound effects like limping, only being able to crawl or jittering of the weapon are neither realistic not fun. And you cannot get magically healed in 15 to 30 seconds.

And lastly, this topic ha sbeen discussed severel times already.

Well, now I feel better :D

Upvote 0
3---- The amount of ammo given is in no way excessive. I wish I could point you to some resources, but they escape me at the moment.
I dont think there are very many people who do run out of ammo. Least of all me...only because my half life on any map is usually somewhere between 3-10 footsteps. :eek:

6(B) - Have you played the "Kaukasus" map?

9---- Have you checked out the "Battle for Europe" website?

Upvote 0
I know the topic has been discussed. Name a game with a forum that has not discussed it. That is why I said I know some of these ideas have been mentioned before, but that I was putting MY ideas in one post. And they are my ideas, I had them on my own from the first day I started playing RO and wished they were there, several since before RO was invented.

No one is putting a gun to anyone's head to discuss such things or read such posts. I have not seen many threads dealing with them. So I am interested in discussing the possibilities of such options.

4. and 5. You need weeks to play a game with wounds? Either you are in shape to fight or you are not in RO?

Hmmm. Then how do you explain getting shot with a bullet to the point that you are bent over and limping and suddenly are all back good as new running full speed? That is hardly what you suggested.

Many other games have a bleed feature. I have not seen any that had a bind feature. The bind feature would take seconds, it would not make games last any longer. If what you implied actually happened in RO 90% of anyone hit by a nade or bullet should be out of the game instantly, no yellow, no red, no recovering from limping. OUT. Yes some soldiers recieved wounds and kept fighting, most do not. The pain makes it impossible, even getting a finger or toe blown off.

3. What is the point of having ammo limits at all if you have so much you never run out? Starting every game as if every soldier had the correct amount of ammo they were given the day they arrived at the front is neither realistic nor fun. MOST soldiers are on the line for days at a time, most engagments took hours if not days. Supplies were not always forthcoming. Most of these maps start in the middle of a battle, not when someone is coming straight from the supply truck. The men in RO have so much ammo only someone prone to blasting away continually would ever run out. What I hear over and over in documentaries featuring the real guys, on all fronts of that war is, "we were running low on ammo." "We were down to 20 rounds a man", over and over.

6 B. And yes, Kaukaus is set up like the Alamo idea that is why I mentioned a monastery. But it has four objectives spread out. It is not JUST the monastary only with 12 objectives all inside it.

Picture that monastery, only larger, a whole map, with a bit of ground to cover for the initial assault. That court yard in Kaukaus would only be one entrance the the main building. The main building is shaped in a square with a inner court yard. There are rooms throughout the square-shaped building, many are cappable. There are strong points like mg nests on the roof that cover either the outter courtyard or the inner, each is cappable. There is an inner sanctuary, about the size of the Kaukaus monastery, situated in the inner courtyard. Itself with two or three cap points and rooms accessed from all four sides.

So MANY cap points. Oh yes, and I am glad you brought it up. Ideally the defenders would get limited lives, maybe three each. The attackers have more lives or even unlimited. It is a race agains the clock to either wipe out the garrison or race to get all those caps. I think that would be fun.

There is that one bastardized map that has the apartment building with each floor being a cap. But that is too straight up and down. I could see having some higher floors, but it would still be about making your way through the rooms and halls and walls, to the center citadel and the last stand.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see limping once you are wounded, but not like it was in the mod (when they had it in).

Rather once you get wounded and limp, you regain your speed a bit faster then how it is now. Rather the limping would only slow you down a little bit (not as much at first, like it is in the mod) however it would impact your sprint function much more.

So limping is permanent once you get wounded, but it's not as slow as the initial "shock" of getting hit, but rather impacts your ability to sprint and such much more.

Upvote 0
8.The "open a tank hatch and drop a nade system" gets on my nerves greatly,
I mean,the germans(or russians for that matter)werent so dumb
as to go to combat with their hatches not safely closed and locked...
As for the halftrack thing,that is natural,I dont see any reason why that shouldnt be implemented

Upvote 0
DieFledermaus said:
4. and 5. You need weeks to play a game with wounds? Either you are in shape to fight or you are not in RO?

Hmmm. Then how do you explain getting shot with a bullet to the point that you are bent over and limping and suddenly are all back good as new running full speed? That is hardly what you suggested.

Many other games have a bleed feature. I have not seen any that had a bind feature. The bind feature would take seconds, it would not make games last any longer. If what you implied actually happened in RO 90% of anyone hit by a nade or bullet should be out of the game instantly, no yellow, no red, no recovering from limping. OUT. Yes some soldiers recieved wounds and kept fighting, most do not. The pain makes it impossible, even getting a finger or toe blown off.

I agree that the limping in the mod right now is not realistic (and hopefully not represented in the retail version)

Concering wound treatment: Americas Army, Firearms HL mod, H&D, just to name a few "realistic" ones with something like that in game. Still, it is not realistic. Wound treatment, even of minor wounds would take more than five minutes, especially if you are fighting: First, you'd have to fetch the first aid kit (well, can skip that... ;) ) then you' have to locate the wound, uncover it, clean it, and then treat it according to it's severeness... So let's assume that we could leave minor wounds, which would only need a patch or bandage to keep it clean, out, as you will most propably still be able to fight unaffected with them, the wound treatment would most likely contain applying pressure to the wound over a longer period of time to stop the bleeding...

Well, at leats you don't want a "bleed to death" feature, which is, IMHO one of the biggest plagues all games that incorporate it :D I will not go into further detail on that (except if it is requested :D )

Upvote 0
About 'wounds' it's just impossible for a game going to realism, if there's a wound thats so bad that you absolutly MUST BANDAGE IT NOW! Then there's no way in hell your combat capable, either the wound is such that you can ignore it completly or you need to bandage it or die right there then there's no way in hell your slapping a bandage on it and running back into the fight.

If a wounds bad enough that you need to bandage it or bleed out in 3 seconds your a corpse anyhow, you'd have to have had your stomach ripped out or your arterial vains severed severly.

Upvote 0

Breeds slower gameplay and self preservation.

2. Ammo has to be searched for. When someone is killed their nades and ammo do not just lay there for all to see.

Start with reasonable but not endless supply and one someones dies you should be able to 'pick' it up, not walk/run over it to get the goodies like some games.

3. Random ammo distribution.

Nah

4. Wound effects. I hate it when I get shot and have to slow down or limp, but that makes it more important not to get shot. I would like to see this go even farther. If you get shot above the waist you drop your weapon.

Played this in a CoD2 Mod and its very poor for gameplay/enjoyment. Realism can only go so far or you ruin what is a game at the end of the day. If you want true realism you'll die a lot more easily or lie around useless on the battlefield.

5. Bind Your Wounds feature.

See above, in WWII how many people were patched up in 10 seconds and then back into battle. Its bad enough to stop you or you keep going, bleeding or otherwise.

6. New map types.

A. One type that would work with many maps already in existence would be a variation on the idea that you cannot cap forward objectives until you capture nearer ones.

Any map can take on a totally diiferent feel by simply changing the gametype, which I do believe is a major area for change

B. An “Alamo” type map that is made up of a single building or complex like a monastery. See above and think outside the current mods box.

7. Self Defense.

Go play Doom ;)

8. Being able to shoot people in an open halftrack or drop a nade into it. Or how about jumping on a tank, opening the top hatch and dropping a nade or sachel into it?

Essential I would of thought

9. Campaign Mode.

More modes to expand RO to a bigger customer base

10. Switch Sides.

You telling me RO does'nt switch sides for two rounds on each map? Different Weapons etc

Have a stun mode for several seconds (when shellshocked), smoke grenades, airstrikes and poosibly a ranking system that gets you extra nades, a satchel charge etc as your score advances. Short realistic sprint feature, out of breath noises, things to blow up :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK. Here are my list of suggestions, some of which have been mentioned elsewhere by me and others. I do not see them as actually being put into RO. But I think it would be cool if they were there.

I have been looking for this for years. Maybe you get six lives or ten, maybe even that could be server-optional. This would cut down on the Rambo maniac with an smg syndrome. You have to be more careful but you still get to respawn, but not indefinitely.

Great idea, but from my experience, ramboing is usually done indoors and in closed areas, so ramboing isn't necessarily something that risks your life. Also, there has to be a way to prevent people from rejoining to reset their lives

2. Ammo has to be searched for. When someone is killed their nades and ammo do not just lay there for all to see. If you see a body or a gun on the ground you must do a “search” of X seconds to see if there is any ammo or nades to be had. Ideally this would be a random thing. Just because you had 6 magazines on you when you died does not mean all six are available for search and recovery.

I definately would like this, but I heard that the physics are client-side.

3. Random ammo distribution. I would like to see some games where I do not spawn with 35,000 clips of ammo. I think I have ran out of ammo in a rifle or semiauto like once ever in all the time I have played RO and I am by no means a reckless player.

If it's realistic, then I'm for it

4. Wound effects. I hate it when I get shot and have to slow down or limp, but that makes it more important not to get shot. I would like to see this go even farther. If you get shot above the waist you drop your weapon. If you get shot below the waist you fall down. If you get shot in the chest and do not die you both drop your weapon and fall down. As much as I hate being crippled temporarily, I hate it worse when I shot some guy with a steel jacketed bullet from close range, painting the wall behind him with his blood and viscera, only to have him keep right on shooting at me.

Getting shot above the waist will not make you drop your weapon, although getting shot in the hand could. Depending on where you get shot below your waist, you could drop. IMO, If you get a bullet in the thigh, it could just cause incapacitation. In Muay Thai, the shin kick is usually targeted to the thigh since it will cripple you whether you feel the pain or not.

5. Bind Your Wounds feature. If you get hit you can run the BYW feature. Maybe it was not a bad hit so the BYW takes no time and does nothing (i.e. you checked to make sure you were ok and you were.) If the wound was more serious it could take anywhere from 3 to, say 10 seconds, to run the BYW. You are vulnerable at that time and cannot shoot or run away. If you do not run the BYW there is a chance that you will not stop limping or you cannot stand up or yo might even bleed to death.

If there is such a complex system in RO:O where a bullet could just graze you, then another teammate should be able to apply medical aid to you rather than you doing it yourself.

7. Self Defense. I wish I could take on someone with a rifle and bayonet when I only had my bare hands and possibly parry and deflect his attack and even knock him down with my fist or a knife. This could be done by programming a game so the moment you do not have a weapon in your hand the secondary attack could be a block/deflection move and the attack be a strike move. Even a kick high and kick low could be put in by hitting a function key along with the attack key.

Most people hate this idea, but the fact is, even nowadays they teach H2H in the military. High kicks only have a purpose for flexibility, breaking, patterns, and sparring in most martial arts, but they aren't designed for practicality. However, if the devs don't have much knowledge in H2H, I'd rather not see this implemented because it would be BS if I did a round house kick to the oppponent's thigh and the opponent didn't drop or get crippled

10. Switch Sides. I have seen one server do this already. Basically when a round ends the two teams switch spawn points and objectives. That was a blast! It made some old, tired maps fun again. It would work very well with a Campaign Mode as mentioned above. After the campaign was over, it would start anew only with the teams switching roles as defender and attacker.

I'd much rather change the map, but this isn't a bad idea

Well that’s in for now. I know most of this is not entirely new, I just wanted to put it all in one place.

Upvote 0
malice said:
correct me If I'm wrong (havent played RO for that long) but wasnt there limping and wounding in a earlier version and it lead to people suiciding themselves so they could respawn fresh?

The main reason is because it was terribly slow. Hard to move around/fight, etc.

I think limping could be done a lot faster, so you can still get around and actually viabley be able to play the game still and not have it moving at a snail's pace so people /suicide. Have it be more of an impact on your sprint and not so much on your general speed.

Upvote 0