• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Random deco generator.

zeep

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Maybe not a bad idea for RO maps. It's basically having leaves, pieces of paper, rubbish etc. move around on the ground in some area's like the wind is blowing them. If you've played GTA you must have noticed the newspaper pages etc moving on the ground, well just like that.

The UT99 mod Infiltration has it in some maps and since it's uscript (afaik) it shouldn't be that hard to port.

Get it here. It's programmed by Freon so if you're gonna use/port it you may want to mail him.

Ghadafi said:
Is this purely clientside then?
The way it works is that the deco's are spawned around the player in a certain radius. I'm pretty sure it works clientside, so no lag.
The deco generator can also make clouds / puffs that blow along quickly like the player is in a sand- or snow storm.

*edit: it can also do an exhale cloud effect in cold maps. Like the player is breathing.

Some screenshots of newspaper deco's:

Shot0018.jpg

Shot0017.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It works client side, but I'm no UScript expect so it was pretty buggy. The last screenshot by Zeep actually shows a bug, there shouldn't be paper that far. It sometime happens when the player dies and is spawned back somewhere. Nothing too serious though.

Zeep, the "puff clouds" where another mutator actually, just search on the Inf forums, it was called "Cold Zone". The last version was embeded in EAS-INF-Frozen.

Anyway, I think both these features would look nice in RO, but you may as well recode them from scratch, it will probably work much better ;)

edit: Btw Zeep, I didn't know you were a gamma whore :p

Upvote 0
zeep said:
The way it works is that the deco's are spawned around the player in a certain radius. I'm pretty sure it works clientside, so no lag.
The deco generator can also make clouds / puffs that blow along quickly like the player is in a sand- or snow storm.

*edit: it can also do an exhale cloud effect in cold maps. Like the player is breathing.
Hmmm that sounds cool, so if it's client sided it could be disabled aswell! :D

I like this, but instead of newspapers you could insert just random props like cardboard flaps, pieces of wood, bottles, etc...
Of course these should have damagemodels, so that the game looks a little destructible without the use of modern-day physics engines... :D

Upvote 0