• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Rotating the pivot of a door?

Yes there is, you need to right click on the door actor and then click the mover tag, usually the door pivots use key 0 and key 1, key 0 is usually the door in its closed state. Key 1 is usually the door in its open state to edit the location you simply drag or rotate the door once you have selected which key you want to edit and then it will rotate to that position when in game.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to make a door like this

http://www.bilco.com/foundations/store/products/bd_bds_1-200.jpg

When I rotate the door into its open position which takes a long time to get right, the door doesnt swing open right. It seems to try to take its normal horizontal axis to rotate. I need it to rotate at its diagonal axis. Which means rotating it's pivot. Those of you who know 3ds max, will know that in order to get the door to swing at an angle (like in pic) you'll have to rotate its local axis so its parallel with the door.

Upvote 0
Reviving dead thread only because I have this problem and feel the answer has not yet been posted in this thread.

Lets just say I'm using a killing floor static mesh as a KFDoorMover. I can't seem to move the damn pivots, it keeps reverting back to the middle of the door. This isn't much good because a door hinge is on the side of the door, and the movement looks funky. I had this problem on my last map and ended up releasing as final with this problem.

For the most part I just copy KFDoorMovers from official maps and tweak the key frames as needed. But now I want to use a few other door meshes as movers and don't have anything to copy from. So, how to move the pivot and have it not snap back to the middle as soon as i click somewhere else?

Upvote 0
If you just want to rotate something, yes. But if you want to set up a mover this only helps you move the mover around in the editor, but it mover will still use its original pivot for rotation ingame. If you change the "PrePivot" his original pivot is changed.
If you want a door to rotate around its hinges but its pivot is at its center you have to change the PrePivot values.

Upvote 0
OKAY,

when you use properties prepivot, you cant actually see where the pvot is, so how do you know how to set it? The pivot doesn't stick. The door rotates into the wall. where is the pivot really supposed to go anyway? help!

Shot00017-2.jpg

Shot00016-1.jpg

Shot00015-2.jpg

Shot00014-2.jpg

Reactions: Fel
Upvote 0
i dont really know what the problem was or how i fixed it. =) but i think i know what to do.

move the pivot to the desired center of rotation in maya, import to udk, if you dont see the pivot or the pivot doesnt stick in udk, try again, maybe restart, once it starts acking normal and as one would expect, it is really easy.

oh yeah, i finally got the zombies to attack the door simply by putting a pathnode right in the middle of the door.

oh yeah, and the reason i couldnt weld the door, i had the closed position set to key 1 and the open position set to key 0, apparently only key 0 is weldable so that has to be the closed position. funny though, sometimes in game i'd walk up to the door and it would instantaniously flash close. I noticed that by trying to weld the door in the open position.

So, that brings up a question, how do you set the default position of the door to open?

Last edited:
Upvote 0