• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Using cover around you to conceal yourself

Also, I'd think that taking effort to rig something up during combat would only make you *more* obvious of a target.

"Hey! In that bush over the....wait, that's not a bush...it's....a tree limb! It's...an armed tree limb?"

*MG crew exchanges glances*

Pbrhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrat! Pbrrrrrrrrrrrat Pbrrrrrat!

"Eww. And it bleeds too."

Upvote 0
Some tips for camouflage I've learned from training and else-where:

1) Know your surroundings. If your uniform matches your environment, great, use it to your advantage. If it doesn't, there's always stuff to hide under, in, or around.

2) Know your angle to the enemy. Sometimes, all it takes is knowing what your enemy will most likely be looking at. Are you laying directly infront of an objective? Are you by a group of soldiers? Are you in direct line-of-sight of the target? Many soldiers get "tunnel-vision" in combat (games, too), which is the loss of peripheral vision. Staying on the enemies flanks gives you less chance of being spotted.

3) Use strategic movement. Always make sure that every movement you make has a purpose. If you're laying prone, don't keep wigging around looking for a better position. Find a fire path and hold it. The human eye is far better at detecting movement than it is at detecting texture or color differences. This is especially true when you're going against people with restricted fields of vision. It's old military logic that says running away when you see a tank or helicopter is the surest path to death. You have less chance of being spotted and killed if you stop where you are and go prone/hide.

If you have to move from one area to another, break the movement up into smaller paths. Move from one cover to another, pause, survey the situation, then move to the next cover until you reach your final destination. Avoid large, flat, open, cover-less areas at all cost.

Smart movement will make you an effective and deadly soldier.

4) Always make sure that you aren't trying to handle too much when in an ambush position. This takes experience and knowledge of your surroundings to be successful, but is probably the most important skill that will allow someone to survive. What you want to make sure is that you are not trying to cover a full 180 degrees of fire. Remember, you can only be firing at a target in a fairly small zone of fire at any one time, so any side that is unprotected is vulnerable to incoming.

An example of this would be laying prone on top of a hill. If a superior enemy force came at you, you could only fire at one target at a time. In the mean time, enemies could return fire on you from all directions (from your left, center, right, and even rear if you're really screwed). This gives the enemy a far greater probability of killing you.

On the other hand, let's say you were laying prone on the right side of the hill. The left side of the hill is blocking your left flank, so you only have to concentrate on enemy on your center or right. You could take it a step further and lay on the right rear and simply cover the right flank.

Like I said before, this skill takes knowledge of your surroundings. You have to know where the enemy is, where he is going, and where your friendlies are. If a friendly isn't covering the fire paths you aren't covering, you're probably screwed. It's time to fall back and find another field of fire.

Anyway, I hope these few tips help you conceal and camouflage yourself better in game because I really doubt the dev's will ever put in ghillie suits!

Upvote 0