• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Now that TWI is an independent publisher...steam not required for RO:HoS?

Nope, we're not leaving Steam. The difference now is we'll be selling games in stores ourselves in the US. This will allow us to make more money (instead of giving money to publishers), and in the end will allow us to make better games.
An expected, or rather feared development. Most regrettable.
Sure, from the reverse side, consumer rights may be perceived as a burden, but some of us quite like them because of their beneficial nature.
At least you're following a common trend. The players really don't need any rights or liberties, we're supposed to buy games, anything beyond that just leads to us doing stupid things ;)

Upvote 0
An expected, or rather feared development. Most regrettable.
Sure, from the reverse side, consumer rights may be perceived as a burden, but some of us quite like them because of their beneficial nature.
At least you're following a common trend. The players really don't need any rights or liberties, we're supposed to buy games, anything beyond that just leads to us doing stupid things ;)

Can someone explain to me why this guy thinks Tripwire making more money and better games is a bad thing?

Upvote 0
Can someone explain to me why this guy thinks Tripwire making more money and better games is a bad thing?

he has probably a cluster**** of ideas in his head, confusing steam with some kind of malware securom that limits the times you can install your game or some weird **** like that.

dude, steams allows for lower prices, cool features and a kind of support that a independent company like TWI wouldnt be able to offer otherwise.

Most companies just release their games there with full price and forget about it, not using the advantages of steam, I can see that. But if you think TWI is one of those, then you don't know TWI

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hehehe, maybe "this guy" can elaborate a bit on that ;)

I spawned a similar thread a few months ago, and also acknowledged that for you as developers, there are little to no downsides in this. That's because the downsides are passed on to the player.
Steam means (among other things) impaired consumer rights and unresolved privacy concerns, none of which would need to bother you, since you're the "reverse side" in this secnario. As much as I'd happily grant you an increased profit from your games, I have to see what's best for myself before that. Digital distribution comes with the renouncement of elemental consumer rights in my country, and even if I don't intend to make use of those rights, I feel obliged to cling on to them for the sake of those people who do :)

That's not necessarily a satisfactory explanation for you, it's just the other side of the coin.

Edit: And thanks for those kind words, Fedorov :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yo Ramm . . . u need us to buy from a shop to get you more money?? Just say the word and im sure the community can oblige :cool:

(ps - only if the activation on steam is instant as we cant be hanging around for steam to auth our game :) )

As in: He can't sell the game forward if he wants.

For even suggesting selling on a TWI game he should be eaten by angry finns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Boxed version of HoS? Will this be US only? I hope not.

Not leaving steam. Well, this sounds good. So even the most stupid idiots can buy the game, this gives us thousands of morons we can blow to hell :D
Also for mapping this is just awesome. I can remember back in the mod ages that so many ppl were too stupid to sort in the files in the right folders to get the map running properly, this can't happen with steam anymore :)

Upvote 0
Boxed version of HoS? Will this be US only? I hope not.

Not leaving steam. Well, this sounds good. So even the most stupid idiots can buy the game, this gives us thousands of morons we can blow to hell :D
Also for mapping this is just awesome. I can remember back in the mod ages that so many ppl were too stupid to sort in the files in the right folders to get the map running properly, this can't happen with steam anymore :)

oh god READ!
1C is publishing in europe!

Upvote 0
oh god READ!
1C is publishing in europe!

You don't need to call me "god", Emperor or "Impy" does it also :D

Anyhow I need an english language version, loved the english descriptions yet in my OST. Wouldn't want to miss them in HoS. :)

And yet I've an interesting question concerning a possible public beta, just like Ostfront had it. Will it be only available to people who pre-order it, like OST had to be, or will it be more like you register at a TWI hosted page, get a key and can then play the beta?

Upvote 0
The difference now is we'll be selling games in stores ourselves in the US.

Any plan of you self publishing outside of the US?(nothing against 1C or any other publisher for that matter) Or is it mostly a legal/cost thing thats keeping you using publishers for other regions.

Will probably be buying on steam anyway for day one playing goodness, unless theres a special edition full of RO awesome sauce of course :)

Upvote 0