• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Some Stupid Server Questions :)

after my experiences with the mod and the retail i would choose WINDOWS the next time.

we had several linux-gameservers and one windows-gameserver.
the windowsserver had alot better ping and a admin of the provider told me, that linux and ut-enginge is not the best combination.

now with the retail even after several patches our linux-server(and others too) still is crashing from time to time, while i heard only good about the windows-server.

on advantage of the linux-server should be prize. every provider i checked wanted more/alot more for windows-rootserver because of the licence i guess.
this made up to 30

Upvote 0
Floyd said:
In all seriousness, if all you plan to run is one RO server on this machine, then either Linux or WinServer 2003 (I can't speak for XP) will do the job admirably. I'd look at it one of two ways.

a) You could opt for the O/S that you are most familiar with and can easily access.
-or-
b) If you'd like to learn a new O/S, choose your poison :)

Floyd, I can vouch for Windows XP Pro. I run three servers on XPPro with no hassles at all. In fact, I've gone as long as two weeks without a re-boot as a test. Our main servers for our paying clients run under W2KAS, but our "fun" servers all run under WXPPRO.

Upvote 0
I run Win server 2003 mainly because everything runs on it first time out.
I usually find that the Linux servers have to wait for their versions.
I do agree Linux servers run a little better on the performance front as a rule but not enough to warrant the trouble you have with getting game servers to run on them.
But that's just my opinion.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0