• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

question on suppresion

r5cya

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
San Bruno, California
i haven't seen this question pop up, but does suppression worsen the closer the bullets are to you? i saw a few threads over the last few months about how suppression doesn't really work right and started wondering about it. i think it works fine myself. i've had my screen get all weird, keeping me from poking my head out to see who was doing it and returning fire. was it because i was so close to getting hit? is the effect less, if the bullets are flying farther overhead? that's how it should be, but i don't have a clue if twi made it that way.

i'm not sure why people say suppression doesn't work. i think it could be more effective at times, but it does work. if twi gets off their butts and give us the bullet snap of the rounds passing by us at supersonic speed, i think we'd be just about perfect on the suppression.

what's your thoughts on this?

Annoying, as in: "oh look, my screen got a bit blurry, guess I was shot at. I will now shoot back without any noticable penalty." It also lasts too long, giving the impression of being in a certain 'state' dictated by the game, rather than your avatar reacting with basic instincts.

Maybe it's because I play with depthOfField off, but even with it on, it was only a bit better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The caliber of the weapon determines how much suppression is dealt by a bullet pass event, not the proximity of the bullet, although obviously, if it's not near enough, it won't trigger suppression at all.

The things that reduce the suppression you take from events:

* if you're using the cover system, and by how much - leaning out (x0.95) is less of an effect than fully behind cover (x0.85)

* the bonus conferred by your class' level (x1.0 - x0.7, or x0.25 for heroes)

* the bonus for a friendly hero (x0.8 for having one on the team, x0.6 for having one nearby)

* if you're a German sprinting with a melee attack charged (x0.03 * your kill count that life = near total suppression immunity) (this also CAUSES suppression to nearby enemies, interestingly)

* if you're a Russian sprinting as a group with other Russians (x0.75)

All of the above multiply in sequence, so there can be significant variance.

Upvote 0
The caliber of the weapon determines how much suppression is dealt by a bullet pass event, not the proximity of the bullet, although obviously, if it's not near enough, it won't trigger suppression at all.

Its odd that distance doesn't have any effect in HOS, this Paper seems to think that distance got a bigger effect relatively than bullets size. Once a certain kinetic energy threshold is reached the perceived dangerousness doesn't change that much.
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA071116

Importance of distance in suppression:
Spoiler!

Importance of kinetic energy for suppression:
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0