• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Better Maps

Buzz_Litebeer

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
Make sure maps like warsaw are better designed the next time around.

I had a unit I thought I could respect today basically abusing the maps flaw that allows Russians to be killed wholesale in their spawn area by firing from near the hotel. This makes the game not fun, and will only be worse when you get even more unscrupulous players who care not if the other team is able to enjoy themselves.

If you do not play test the maps for these kinds of flaws, the players that join up will playtest and find it themselves. If enough players beging to get dissattisfied with the game, people will hear about it and not make purchases cause their friend described games were he died every 20 seconds as a grenade entered his spawn.

First of all: This should be in Ideas and Suggestions, though it barely qualifies because:

Second: Demanding and telling people to "do better" is not going to get people to listen, how about posting it in the RO: Mod's Bugs forum where it belongs? By playing a beta you are as much a tester as anyone else...you have every right to bring it up and ask for it to be fixed, but just demanding something is not going to get the job done.

Thirdly: It was playtested - and it would have been playtested more hours than you might believe, but when there are 500 bug reports for the devs to work through, sometimes things get left unfinished because there are more important problems that have to take precedence. Spawn camping is annoying, but not as annoying as dying everytime you brush past a wall, for example, or having half the map go invisible every time you raise iron-sights...if you think the spawn camping is bad, think yourself lucky you never saw half the OTHER stuff that was dealt with before a release :eek:

Upvote 0
That's exit camping, not spawn camping. It can get annoying, but it can be countered. Just exit the area in a group, then fire back from cover.

And no, I don't shoot from the roof towards the ruskie exit, it's a sure way to get killed, and I prefer capping more than killing anyways.

About bugs, the mg shooting blanks and the double nade throw were the worse for me. The IS bug ony lasted like a week, and you could always drop stuck nades. Oh, and the time when the server had hit detection wrong or something, god, how fun it was to have a bolt those days :-/

Upvote 0
Maschine Pistole-38 said:
Oh please do tell, because Warsaw feels exactly the same now in 3.3 as it did in 1.2

I barely drop in here every few weeks, but you still won't miss any opportunity to attack me. No matter what the Devs say, some things will stay the same in RO:O, neh?

I haven't played RO in awhile, and I forgot the name of the map, but it is the one that used to take about 2 hours before a certain patch, and it takes around 2 minutes after the latest patch? Not saying that that was a good or bad thing, it depended on how you looked at it...It had the statue with the scoped SVT-40 leaning up against it in the middle.

Rostov was pretty crappy after they changed the cap requirements. Too many lone wolves being able to just sneaking around and taking un-recappable points.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Deathsai said:
I barely drop in here every few weeks, but you still won't miss any opportunity to attack me. No matter what the Devs say, some things will stay the same in RO:O, neh?

I haven't played RO in awhile, and I forgot the name of the map, but it is the one that used to take about 2 hours before a certain patch, and it takes around 2 minutes after the latest patch? Not saying that that was a good or bad thing, it depended on how you looked at it...It had the statue with the scoped SVT-40 leaning up against it in the middle.

Rostov was pretty crappy after they changed the cap requirements. Too many lone wolves being able to just sneaking around and taking un-recappable points.
Then how can you comment on how the maps in RO work if you haven't actually played it 'in awhile'? It's probably your nostalgia talking, or your memory is going on you.

Upvote 0
Maschine Pistole-38 said:
Then how can you comment on how the maps in RO work if you haven't actually played it 'in awhile'? It's probably your nostalgia talking, or your memory is going on you.

Because I did play it "for awhile" and I remember myself and many others making these complaints. You can stop trying to make me look ignorant now. It only makes you seem petty.

Upvote 0
The only thing that drives me nuts about Warsaw is that it was obviously never ment to be a map won by caps. It's a classic figure eight map, close quarters with plenty of areas to hide in.

With a fast respawn time, it was a deathmatch. Nothing was wrong with that. It made getting a good team to push through an accomplishment and a rarity. Nothing is wrong with a good old fashion deathmatch romp through squares and dark allys.

Glad to see everyone still trolls and flames tho....Jenova should be right at home.

<3 Jenova

Also server admins:

LETS BE HONEST! some of these "custom" maps blow. Lets use our better judgement before making horrible maps available.

Upvote 0
Deathsai said:
Because I did play it "for awhile" and I remember myself and many others making these complaints. You can stop trying to make me look ignorant now. It only makes you seem petty.
That's all fine and dandy. But you still didn't answer my question. I still find Warsaw an enjoyable map if you can get a decent team together. But that could be found true of any of the maps.

Upvote 0
-Semperfi-Snowden said:
The only thing that drives me nuts about Warsaw is that it was obviously never ment to be a map won by caps. It's a classic figure eight map, close quarters with plenty of areas to hide in.

With a fast respawn time, it was a deathmatch. Nothing was wrong with that. It made getting a good team to push through an accomplishment and a rarity. Nothing is wrong with a good old fashion deathmatch romp through squares and dark allys.

Glad to see everyone still trolls and flames tho....Jenova should be right at home.

<3 Jenova

Also server admins:

LETS BE HONEST! some of these "custom" maps blow. Lets use our better judgement before making horrible maps available.

Speaking of which, is Desantnik out of training yet? I must apologize to him. On his last night, I promised him I'd keep you guys in line, but here I am, spending time away from the RO community!

Upvote 0
Play nice children. As far as maps go, we have a great (if not very overworked) mapping crew here at Tripwire. They've been busy putting togeather the finest maps in RO to date and revamping a few old favorites to make sure they shine up there with the rest. I'm sure everybody will find a favorite or two but they all have their charm and are wonderful to play.

Upvote 0
Yoshiro said:
Play nice children. As far as maps go, we have a great (if not very overworked) mapping crew here at Tripwire. They've been busy putting togeather the finest maps in RO to date and revamping a few old favorites to make sure they shine up there with the rest. I'm sure everybody will find a favorite or two but they all have their charm and are wonderful to play.

You can trust him on that one :)

Upvote 0
The MOD maps differ in quality big time. They range from maps made for 1.1 up to 3.3, a period of 2 years almost. Some of these maps have been learning projects for mappers that worked on the MOD. Some maps never changed when the core gameplay changed over the new versions. Hence the wide variety of the MOD maps.

And then you have personal preference by players. A map may be loved by one and hated by the other :)

RO:Ostfront will have excellent maps to play on. We've made sure the battles are more intense. But, you'll probably love some and dislike other maps still :) It's a gamers nature.

Upvote 0