• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Catastrophic Session Banning

Weissenwolf

Sep 18, 2011
Hey guys,

I get a "Speed Hack Detected" and a Session Ban after 10 minutes of playing, every single time, on my clan's server.

I'm essentially locked out from playing RO2 on this specific server. I don't seem to have the same issue as consistently on other servers.

I've searched and read others' experiences and was hoping there were some new insights or ideas?

Thanks

Same here, apparently this is an issue caused by using a wireless connection and punkbuster flipping out on some latency spikes?
I've seen the info thread where they suggest you alter some values in your ini file but that doesn't work at all..

I'm not meaning to ***** or whine or something but I really can't afford to go drilling holes everywhere so I can get a cable in here..
Other games which I play through my wireless connection work just fine, so why not this one? I mean, this effectively breaks the game!

When will this issue be addressed? If not soon, then I will also go looking for a refund.

Reactions: u-s-e-r
Upvote 0
Those with a pure wireless connection, the reason why you get that message is because packets that are sent out sometimes are delayed or lost. When this happens the server gets the newest packet and so it can seem as if your avatar teleported 10 meters instantly.

It is a customer connection issue for the most part. Wireless connections drop packets all the time.

Wireless home networks connected to a hardline internet (cable/dsl) are not the same as wireless internet services. Packet loss can happen on these networks which can also lead to this issue but are much less likely, and are also much easier to fix.

Upvote 0
Thanks for clearing that up. Do you know if the dev team is looking at this issue at the moment? Will this get corrected or is this not seen as an issue that needs to be adressed by the dev team but rather the customer?

Greetings

I would say it's something on their end, The game worked fine for me during the first few days of play in the beta, after a few updates came out I've been getting kicked and banned all the time.

Every single other game I've played online has never had these issues, I've never had to fiddle about with my router or anything.

They need to get this fixed fast.

Upvote 0
There isn't a whole lot we can do to alleviate the false detections due to unstable connections (even a bad wired connection can get you sacked for speedhacking). All we can do is loosen the detection (which can lead to people actually exploiting it more).

The other thing is for server admins to reduce the penalty OR increase the number of detections it takes before it kicks/bans you.

Upvote 0
There isn't a whole lot we can do to alleviate the false detections due to unstable connections (even a bad wired connection can get you sacked for speedhacking). All we can do is loosen the detection (which can lead to people actually exploiting it more).

The other thing is for server admins to reduce the penalty OR increase the number of detections it takes before it kicks/bans you.

I just don't see why the problem is at my end when every other game I've played online has never had these issues, thats on Pc and consoles.

It's like I mentioned above, the game was working fine for a few days in the beta, nothing has changed at my end, it was only after a few updates in the beta that this problem started happening.

it's not as if just a few people either, there are quite a few threads on here and the Steam forums reporting the same issues. I understand that you will all be working hard to get the game sorted, but if there's nothing you can do to fix this issue then where does that leave everyone with this problem?

Upvote 0
There isn't a whole lot we can do to alleviate the false detections due to unstable connections

Thanks for the response, PUTZ, but is a very troubling response -- are you telling me that this is simply a consequence of the RO2 online game code and isn't likely to be fixed permanently? And the only options are for servers to tweak their settings and/or the consumer changing his/her ISP?

It sounds like you're telling me I'm basically SOL :confused::(

Upvote 0
The setting to change it on the server is located in ROGame.ini

MaxSpeedhackDetections=3 (this is the number of detections until the 2nd line kicks in)
SpeedhackPunishment=1 (0= no action, 1= kick, 2=session ban, 3=perm ban)

Bandwidth isn't the issue here. It's stability. It could be your isp throttling your connection. It could be a bad/inconsistent wifi signal. It can also be your anti-virus or firewall that could be delaying packets. I wouldn't say your are SOL. There might be additional tweaks coming.

Upvote 0
Okay, my server admin changed the settings as per Putz's instructions and my problem is solved.

I still get the Speed Hack Detected! prompt, and for a brief moment I teleport a few meters here and there, but I'm not banned from the game and the play returns to normal. I played for about 15 minutes and only received the Speed Hack prompt once, at the beginning.

It may not solve the packet loss issue, but that was never occurring frequently enough to have a serious impact on gameplay -- it was the session banning that was the problem and ruining the RO2 experience for me.

It's kind of a band-aid for a more serious problem, but at least now I'm able to play with my clan for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Hopefully you other guys have regular servers you play on and can ask the server admin to do this for you, too. It's the only thing that has worked for me so far. To reiterate -- you'll still get the Speed Hack Detected! prompt numerous times (and you'll think "Oh noes!"), but you will not be Session Banned and play returns to normal a few seconds later.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0