• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Arty Farty

con20or

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2006
Ireland
I was playing a map last night, its the one with the two bridges, and one of the the objectives is called "the peninsula".

Its a decent map, took out my first tank with a panzerfaust with it, and i love charging the bridge, assuming you get more than a few metres.

The only thing is that there was way too much artillery. I know there are two artillery radios on the german side (my team) so there must be two on the russian side too. With the amount of artillery landing on "the bridge" side of the map, id say there was more landing than not. Unbelievable! I wouldnt be surprised if our own side was shelling there too.

It all stopped when the two bunkers on either side of the valley started shelling the crap out of each other, although they're invulnerable in there arent they??

The problem with artillery is that most people that pick the commander class have no idea how to use it properly. Artillery is most effective as an area-denial weapon which forces the enemy to go the long way around to get to the objectives. But most commanders think it's fun to rain down hell upon the control points, even when they are the control points his own team is trying to capture (this is really great when the commander gets kicked due to too many teamkills). If you want make war hell for the enemy, sneak in to their territory and mark those shells to land right on some critical choke point between their spawn and the objective they are trying to attack or defend. If you do it right, the enemy won't be able to get anywhere and your team can just walk right in to the objectives.

Upvote 0
Really sucks when the person calling arty just blindly calls it directly on objectives, or assumes where it should go.
Much more effective placing arty between the enemy spawn and the objective. This allows free movement of friendly forces while greatly hampering the enemy.
Also, the person calling arty should always announce where he's calling it before he calls it. Too often I'll be moving into an enemy area with my comrades to clear and cap objectives and friendly arty rains down killing our invading force while the enemy sits on the outskirts out of harms way.

I always announce whenever I'm moving into enemy areas to the arty commander so that he's clear where to NOT call arty.

Don't just drop it wherever there's an enemy flag.
Does way more harm than good when making assumptions about where arty should go.
Communicate and confirm where it's needed so that you don't rain death down upon your own so often.

Upvote 0
I've had the misfortune of having arty on the spawn on at least one map that I can recall: Rakowice.

Since I haven't really bothered trying the Axis side on this map, I can't verify this for sure, but it seems that the Axis field commander can target the hanger with arty. However, after all other points are capped except the control tower, the Allies spawn inside here.

It also seems that the Axis commander can continue targetting this objective with arty (after Allies cap everything except CT) and the shells can fall through that big hole into the roof, right where the Allies spawn, killing them before they can move.

Upvote 0
Ranari said:
I've had artillery reigning down on me in that infantry/trench map, Barsovka or something I think, while I was playing on the German team.

Spawn, die, spawn, die. =/

If the Russian commander targets the bunker before the Germans capture it, then he can call in artillery on it while the Germans start spawning there. You can't target it after the Germans cap it though.

Upvote 0
Muddy_May said:
I've had the misfortune of having arty on the spawn on at least one map that I can recall: Rakowice.

Since I haven't really bothered trying the Axis side on this map, I can't verify this for sure, but it seems that the Axis field commander can target the hanger with arty. However, after all other points are capped except the control tower, the Allies spawn inside here.

It also seems that the Axis commander can continue targetting this objective with arty (after Allies cap everything except CT) and the shells can fall through that big hole into the roof, right where the Allies spawn, killing them before they can move.

The Russian commander can do this to, I know because I was doing it, just target the side of the hanger and let loose, be surprised the amount of Axis it kills. ;)

As for arty, alot people moan about 'omg not on objectives' yet when your team is having its ass handed to it by the enemy and the point is taken and cannot be taken back I usually tell my team to fallback and rain down some arty on those already captured zones (if they happen to be where the enemy is congregating or has to go).

Rakowice is a prime example, once the Axis lose the Perimeter defences, simply get your ass to flak and target them (you can't actually target them dead on centre, but with a bit of creativity you can get arty pretty close), then just call some arty down on the those poor unsuspecting Ruskies (this also cuts them pretty much off from the Hanger), it is also actually surprising the amount of people who fail to learn from their mistakes the first time and constantly attempt to run through arty.

Can't say I'm a great lover of what I saw in the mod on some maps, a lone enemy would sneak through target the area just outside spawn, miles behind our lines and spam arty down there constantly, it wasn't done for any other purpose than for kills, and after the first barrage people would just go around it (well the clever ones).

Even slow/stupid people learn eventually to avoid arty spam, and it just wastes strikes you may need later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the RO:CA map RO-RedGodOfWar, as defenders we'd use a very sneaky tactic: Have a bunch of friendlies hole up inside the command bunker, then call repeated arty strikes down on the bunker itself. The enemy couldn't even get close to the place, and we're all chilling inside with cotton in our ears, being rocked to sleep by the soothing blast of heavy artillery... :D

Upvote 0