• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon/Vehicle/Item Licenses

The6thElephant

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 26, 2005
Hey,

For our commercial game we want to feature real weapons such as the M4 or G36. Now I'm curious if we have to get permission from Colt and H&K, or even buy licenses. I've tryed to get more information on this subject --to no avail. All I get are opinions from end-users, which quite frankly, don't count much on this matter.

So I've figured I'd post this here since you have first hand knowledge.

Regards

MILK said:
I remember that CS had to change their gun naming because of gun licensing...but these are actual guns still manufactured (imo) but guns in RO are from WW2 ages so I think you dont need to ask for name using of these ... but I am not sure, just imo...
You are aware that abandonware is illegal right? :D Seriously though, I don't think RO:O will have a problem with this because many games have real weapon names. The only games I know of that have real gun models, but fictional names are CS and Goldeneye.

@Murphy: That's pretty stupid. Sometimes I think the reason people are violent is not because of games, but because people are so concerned about games, they forget to deal with bigger issues.

Upvote 0
Pun unintended, but this one is a bit of a minefield. I know that they had to pull a couple of planes out of Pacific Fighters due to this sort of nonsense.

As a general guide (no, I am not a qualified attorney), ex-Soviet kit is just fine, because there was no "copyright" on it as such. I am only aware of issues arising on US-manufactured kit, where the manufacturer is still a going concern in some shape or form.

To be absolutely, 100% safe, you'd want to ask permission of the probable "owners", such as Colt and H&K, directly. If you don't, you run the risk of being subject to ridiculous injunctions at a bad time - like just after you have released! I can't actually imagine why any gun manufacturer would say "no", unless you are trying to portray them in some really awful way :)

Upvote 0