• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Small Reinforcements suggestion

[-project.rattus-]

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Austria
www.youtube.com
SO, you all (who played the mod) know how important the reinforcements percentage is: Not at all, unless you get the two messages "reinforcements running low" and "reinforcements depleated".

I think this is due to the fact that the percentage is too abstarct to have a meaning to most players. SO my suggestion is as follows:

Tell the reinforcements in absolute numbers (or at least rough numbers, if oyu don't want to give away the exact amount), so people literally see them melt away when the enemy is "pwning j00".

Then, to make people heed the reinforcements, get rid of the "reinforcements are running low" message. Hopefully that would make people more cautios and increase theer awareness for the battle.

And lastly, when one team has no reinforcements left, usually the other team recklessly rushes the map, trying to waste the last few survivors. As you usually don't know IRL if there are enemy reinforcements left or not, why not simply remove the counter for the enemy team, so you see just your own reinforcements? That way, you would never know, if the enemy is basically defeated or just gathering some place to launch a massive attack...

oh I like hiding the info from the other team, while we're at it, why not hide the enemy's class on the scoreboard?

I dunno about removing the low reins announcement tho, as it is, vets pay more attention already, the newbs will prolly be blissfully ignorant until suddenly they get that "Reinforcements Depleted" message, not really what we want them to see without warning right?

Upvote 0
Well, there's a ton of new players flooding the MOD version of RO even as we speak (this is both a cool harbinger of things to come and a bit frustrating all at the same time), and I've answered the "Hey! How come I'm not spawning?" question several times already.

Regarding the idea, I like withholding information which the opposition could not realistically know.

For example: I was playing last night on a server full of newcomers, myself, and one guy from the 13th. I saw that the 13th guy grabbed the Sniper slot, which in combination with knowing the map, instantly told me where I could and could not wander. Seeing the Death Messages also gave me a good idea where the expert Sniper was located.

Taking out the "Arcade-y elements" in the HUD would have left me in the dark as to who was the enemy Sniper, where and when he was killing our troopers, and whether or not the guys sent to roust him out were successful or not. This information would all have to be communicated by teammates (thus improving both teamplay and immersion) instead of by the HUD.

I've got almost nothing on my HUD anyways, only the Round Timer and the Death Messages. I'd love to turn off the Death Messages as well, but I can't deny myself such a useful tool if everyone else is using it. On servers with the DMs turned off, I find the added uncertainty improves my immersion and makes the gameplay a bit more deliberate.

Sory about dragging other issues into this discussion, but I think they are all related.

[-I-]Tripper <-- Needs to get his tag sorted out :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
And lastly, when one team has no reinforcements left, usually the other team recklessly rushes the map, trying to waste the last few survivors. As you usually don't know IRL if there are enemy reinforcements left or not, why not simply remove the counter for the enemy team, so you see just your own reinforcements? That way, you would never know, if the enemy is basically defeated or just gathering some place to launch a massive attack...

I have to disagree with this part (and I'm not saying I agree with the rest.) I think this will add another layer of tedium to a part of the game that is already tedious enough. I agree that the way things are handled now when reinforcements are gone is silly, but I think your solution will only drag this aspect of the game out more than it is already. If someone on the non-reinforced team chooses to simply camp in an area in an attempt to run down the clock (as anyone who plays knows happens often and is terribly frustrating when it does) if the enemy team doesn't know that there is very few players left, it will take even longer to route them out and kill them.

Upvote 0
I agree with you Jenova but I think an easy fix to this problem would be the addition of a 'forced round end' timer when all objectives are capped. So once all the nessecary objectives are capped the defence just has to hold them for a maximum of 2 minutes or whatever and then they win. This forces the last few defenders alive to continue hiding for only 2 minutes or try to take back an objective.

Upvote 0
Of course they would lose, but if all reinforcements ran out with twelve minutes left then it would take them twelve minutes to lose. This is the issue under discussion zell...

What he is suggesting is a timer that would only give the russian two minutes to cap their objectives once their reinforcements ran out, so they could either die and lose, cap and win, or lose after 2 min. If attacking team has no reinforcements on the way and they don't cap after two minutes or so they never will. I think it is a good idea, but of course the time would need to be tweaked some.

Upvote 0
I would like individual reinforcements for every person, instead of a team reinforcement then it would automatically adopt it to amount of players aswell :p.
That way if you loose your life 5 times and you die and can't respawn anymore, its your own fault. You should just have been more cautious. That way good players aren't ****ed around by bad players who keep rushing to their death over and over, wasting the entire teams reinforcements.
Then afcourse tking might be something ppl will love, so one simple change will fix that. If you tk someone 1 life of your own gets withdrawed, for the use of the person you just tked to respawn.
And the server should keep a small round database so people can't just reconnect to the server so they get a fresh setting.

Upvote 0
thats why it should be a server side option. Some servers can just disable it, some can enable it. The reason why i want it implented in the main game is just to get more servers to end up using it. In the first few weeks just don't add any max reinf per player, then slowly bring it down with 1 life or something till you find a sweet spot.

Would be great if actually some things you do ingame would increase the amount of reinforcements you've got, like everybody on your team will get an xtra life if you cap something. (and maybe loose one if the enemies cap something) that way in order to play you will just cap stuff and defend capped positions because you want to stay alive. Should encourage teamplay in a positive matter.

Basically things that make your team better should not only benefit you in a simple score points (wich i would love to see removed) but in a personal matter aswell. Thesame as dieing. Nobody now cares about reinforcements (especially with the current amount), even at 15" reinforcements alot of people still rush into the enemy to waste it. Just let them waste their own reinforcements. If you cap atm all you get is 10 points afcourse some people like points but other than points there is no real personal benefit of capping (and alot of non teamminded ppl don't care about their team) now if you give or withdraw people's lifes with capped locations. It will give a whole new meaning to teamplay, as nobody would want to loose a capped objective and everybody would want to gain one, not just for points only. But just to be able to play more and longer. That's what i like about the basic system of shitty battlefield 1942. Now imagine that system but then for every individual player, people will be more carefull. Less nadespam because you need to safe your nades for when you need it you don't want to respawn with new fresh nades because you'll loose a life. etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0