• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Overall Gameplay

MechSpike

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2005
Okay so I went out to the store looking for UTK2004 just so I could play RO but they didn't have it in -_- and since I have never played it before I was just wondering if anyone could give me a quick rundown about the gameplay and mechanics the game uses...likehow much teamwork is needed (how much is actually used?) what different classes specifically do and how they effect the game...does RO compare to any other game? if so what game...is there a squad system?...do teams actually stick together....also the gametypes I have found little to no information on the gametypes and what they are or how it works...can anyone give me some info? sorry im noob

Don't buy UT2k4 now, it will just be a waste of your money if you plan on getting RO: Ost. The retail product is superior to the mod in every aspect.

Red Orchestra focuses on realism. The first thing you will notice apon firing up RO is you have no crosshair, no option to turn on a crosshair, and no way to get a crosshair what so ever. In the words of our president:
"There are no crosshairs, and there is no option to turn on crosshairs. We feel in the evolution of the tactical first person shooter our game has gone far beyond the need or usefulness of crosshairs. Obviously when your aiming down the sight of the gun there is no need for a crosshair. But, even when aiming the gun from the hip, there is a "free-aim" system where the gun moves independent of the players rotation. The bullets go exactly where the barrel is pointing, not the center of the screen. So just like in real life, you estimate where you think the barrel is pointing, and use the bullet puffs hitting the ground to walk to shots onto the target.

It takes a little getting used to, but for most players its not to hard to pick up. One of the big benefits to gameplay of not having crosshairs is it encourages poeple to use thier weapons realistically. Firing on the move is much less effective, and the game plays more tactically. This in turn puts more emphasis on tactics and movement than it does on twitch reaction time."

The free aim system RO uses keeps the gun from pointing at the center of the screen. For example if you move your mouse to the left you'll notice your gun barrel travels far more to the left then your character turns to the left.

More aspects that RO focuses on are a momentum system where characters don't just jump to full speed, true bullet physics with drop and power behind the round, a hud with minimal details to keep the game fun and running (IE: no bullet count, when you reload you get a small message saying if the magazine is heavy or light depending if it is above half full or not).

Teamwork while not required is rewarded. If you run off by yourself you will soon find yourself dead by the hands of a group of enemy soldiers who easily took you out. Moving with a group and having others watch your back if your a sniper or machine gun will keep you alive much longer.

There are many different classes, some which share traits, others which stand by themselves. The commander classes (both infantry and tank) are equiped with binoculars which allow them to spot artillery targets, and later call them in which they reach a radio. The machine gunners have the machine guns obviously, and the snipers the sniper rifles. From here there are your basic rifle infantry, smg infantry, and then we have such units as the sappers who are very much like smg infantry however they carry explosive satchels. Each class offers somthing unique, and you'll want to try them all to find the ones you like best, though all are fun.

There is only one gametype. This is to capture the enemy's positions. This can range from one team attacking the entire map on several positions in succession, or several possitions at once, to both teams attacking and defending positions. The key is to have a greater presense in the area then the enemy does. Also, while not objectives several maps feature areas where sappers can create alternate paths by using their satchels. Also RO features a range of battlefields from infantry (both city and wilderness settings) to combined arms with both tanks and infantry supporting each other like the recently shown off map RO-Konigsplatz, to tank only where tanks battle each other for supremecy.

That brings up tanks. RO tanks, while not a full sim level are quite close (and we don't make anybody play the lovely job of reloader). The three main positions for most vehicles are driver, comander/gunner, and machine gunner. Having 2 to 3 of these positions filled, while not essential to running a tank, will give you a far greater advantage over a person who has just jumped in a tank by himself and is trying to man all three positions.

I hope this counts as a brief overview :)

Upvote 0
MechSpike said:
Okay so I went out to the store looking for UTK2004 just so I could play RO but they didn't have it in -_- and since I have never played it before I was just wondering if anyone could give me a quick rundown about the gameplay and mechanics the game uses...likehow much teamwork is needed (how much is actually used?) what different classes specifically do and how they effect the game...does RO compare to any other game? if so what game...is there a squad system?...do teams actually stick together....also the gametypes I have found little to no information on the gametypes and what they are or how it works...can anyone give me some info? sorry im noob

the game is based pretty much only on teamwork, if your team isnt workign together chances are you will lose

the differant classes are usually map based and consist of basicly
rifleman, sub-machine gun, machine gun, and commander (sometimes sniper)

RO blows every other WW2 game out of the water it will be well worth it
the mod itself blows everything out of the water i cant wait for the retail

most of the time teams do stick together if its in their best interest

pretty much the only gametype is online play and its capture/blow up objectives (depending on map) and differant variants sometimes both teams have to try and capture all the objectives, other times one team attacks and the other defends

hope this helps a lil bit

Upvote 0
thank you very much both of you I appreciate it you definately shed some light on a few subjects I didnt know much about for instance the free-aim which sounds amazing...so if the gametype is like capture points is that like BF2 or DOD in some ways...how many points per map (obviously different for each one) and do teams use teamwork and all attack a certain point...or is there mass havoc like in BF games where half the team is trying to take one point the other half is trying to take another and a small group of friends is randomly trying to take another thats half way acrossed the map...that is the one thing I am always afraid of...does the team actually go point to point stickin together...do you spawn together etc...im pretty picky when it comes to game especially WWII but I am LOVING the way RO sounds

Upvote 0
Awesome okay so basically the points go consecutively...point 1 then point 2 etc...you cant just immeditately grab a quick vehicle and go capture the last point and then move your way back towards your base lol....if your not familiar with BF....BF is just a huge arse map that has several points scattered anyone on any team can attempt to take any point on the map at any time and thats exactly what happens....only in BF2 have I ever seen actually pple working together to take points and it doesnt always happen....how does spawning work? and how many pple does it take to take a point and how are point labeled....sorry so many questions =/

p.s. the release date is set for January correct?

Upvote 0
Ya while BF is a circle jerk and then you get the planes and heli landing in the back RO has usually 3 objectives spread across a map with atleast 2 ways to reach each spot and flank but still maintaining a 1,2,3 style. Also once some objectives are taken they cant be recapped by the other team and the spawns are then adjusted to keep the action fast. Also there is a respawn wave timer and class size as stated above are set by the map. Meaning no matter where you play the class load out are the same on every map. So you dont get some servers playing map A with all commanders and another server playing map A with 1 commander.

Upvote 0
MechSpike said:
Awesome okay so basically the points go consecutively...point 1 then point 2 etc...how does spawning work? and how many pple does it take to take a point and how are point labeled....sorry so many questions =/

p.s. the release date is set for January correct?

The cap points available for capping is up to the mapper, on some maps all are open at all times, on others you have to cap them in a set order, on some you have to take some to unlock others, etc etc etc

Spawning is on a set timer per map, every x seconds, x being the spawn time set by the mapper, everyone who was dead respawns

Capturing an objective can be accomplished by only 1 person, but the more in the cap zone, the faster it finishes, Gruppenfuhrers and Kommandirs count for more in capping, capping is offset by enemys in the capzone, if there's 1 German and 1 Russian in the zone, no cap, 2 Germans will cap it for Axis, unless they already control it, etc etc

Objectives are labeled on the overhead map, and also when you enter one a bar appears at the bottom of the screen showing the name of it, and any cap progress

Release is January, the exact date is unannounced

Upvote 0
well in the interview with gamecloud that was posted on the main page it specifically said they are planning on a release January 2006 that is why I asked...

Gamecloud - What is the current status on the game's progress?

John Gibson - The game is about 90% complete and should be available sometime in January 2006.

Upvote 0
MechSpike said:
Red Orchestra really doesn't compare to any other game out there. The gameplay is unique (although some mainstream games have copied certain features), and it's absolutely the best when it comes to WWII realism. And to think that Ostfront will be even better...

Upvote 0
okay just picked up utk2004 and played my first game of Red Orchestra....well it was frusterating to say the least but i wont lie it started growing on me...by the end of my playing session i was happy with my time but there was definately pitfalls...there were only 3 servers up one had a password protect and another only had 3 pple...so I was stuck to play in one server...it went pretty good except for a few big maps specifically for vehicles...they were the stupidest maps ever too big and pointless i got no play in...the urban maps were sweet i definately love the feel of combat only on these maps did I feel any teamwork was present...the engine seemed a little lunky but i think that will be fixed when Ostfront comes out...I am really excited to see Ostfront if it really is better than this mod because this mod did impress me on a few levels....and that is kinda hard to do when it comes to WWII FPS so....I'll be waiting!

Upvote 0
Hey mech, I think I played with you tonight lol. Ya, it's a bit more fun with a full server. I think there were like max 5 ppl on the whole time.

Like on most other shooting games, you'll find alot of people just go off and rambo by themselves. When your on a server where people talk and cooperate it's a bit different, more involved. I usually try, but we didn't have enough ppl.

Also we were playing Die Walkurie, which isn't the... I don't know...it's a nice map if you know how to play it i guess. What ends up happening on it is that it's too big for the amount of people usually playing it.

And ya, compared to other games, there's very few servers to choose from. Usually max 4 or 5 at any given time and of those maybe 2 will be filled. Course, by reading the forums, you'd think it had a massive freaking following. How does Rumsfeld say it? It's a very "active minority". :p

My complaints when I started was that the movement felt very sluggish compared to other games. Maybe it's why I liked tank maps versus infantry.
People always hate large maps but I like em.

It's also much harder to shoot people. But I think that's pretty realistic.

Anyway, Yoshiro warned you. :)

Upvote 0