• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Destructable Statics?

Andrew!

Dec 15, 2005
Hi all, I'm new here and I checked the histroy and I haven't seen this in a thread yet.

----

BF: 2 adds abit of realisim by having destructable statics such as doors or walls to create a short cut, etc. Will this feature be included in the game? If not, I think this would be a great addition since it's a sim.

Last edited:
SgtH3nry3 said:
Isn't it possible to give buildings some sort of health system??
When it reaches 90 it begins to show cracks, 50 means it's bricks are falling off and 0 means it just collapses?!?!

Scripted of course, I know the physics engine isn't powerful enough... ;)
That is a really neat idea! I have no clue how they would implement that though. lol

I guess it could be done similar to the way a tank in the mod starts to smoke when hit by a shell but is not destroyed. You could say thats an intermediate damaged state. But, I think all they really do is add an emitter, not change the whole model. Anyway I like the idea of entire buildings suffering damage in that way, but it might get silly if a tiny corner of a wall is constantly pounded, meanwhile the whole building collapses. lol

Maybe on a smaller scale. I dunno but its intriguing.

Upvote 0
worluk said:
you dont map, do you?
and most certainly havent played Kharkov in the first version and dont know that the house fronts were desctructable statics in that version
I have done mapping in UEd, but that is a long time ago.

I have played Kharkov, but I never noticed it though...
Which version are you referring too?

Upvote 0
Andrew! said:
I know what you mean, Soldner: Secret Wars did almost the same thing. Only with holes instead.
Yeah but Soldner had a decent physics engine, that is.

Ostfront's only options to building destructions are:
  • Newer/Better physics engine (Open Dynamics Engine, Tokamak, Novodex)
  • Scripted wise (Would cause lag, especially when multiple destructions are done)
  • Animated (Would cause just a bit lag, but it isn't efficient...
I'd choose for the first option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Andrew! said:
Eh, I guess the physics were alright in the game. The feel wasn't right though.
Yes Karma physics, but those are outdated and are a pain for the framerates.
It contains a damn huge load of bs. Well it's a very simple but CPU-killer physics engine.

I'd rather have a physics engine which is more amazing and CPU-friendlier.
Karma physics have a bad karma...

After seeing the NovodeX SDK and NovodeX rocket would seamlessly on my Pentium 2 450MHz... My jaws just dropped.

I mean it contains all fancy things, and it can update the gameplay to a real simulation level.
Of course some of it has to be toned down to internet-speeds-standards. :D

Upvote 0