• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wondering if I'd be welcome on any servers..

BeerHunter

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
I'm stuck with a 28.8 rural DU connection at present :( and god only knows I've tried to get high speed out this way but so far to no avail.

Faint hope of wireless this spring/summer but I've been lead down that garden path so often over the years so I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

I've tried RO online a few times and as long as there aren't too many on a server (ie about 20 or so) and my ping is reasonable (<300) I'm OK..trouble is there are still quit a few server admins that think high pings lag a server and so I get the boot . This is most definitly a confidence crasher as I'm an adult gamer (belong to a couple of adult gaming groups..CoFR and FoCA) and I finaly gave up online , settling for the bot's :cool:

I play DoD on a selected server and manage to hold my own and support the team by selecting roles that don't require mad rushes into congested areas (hate DoD Avalanche and Anzio) such as support , rear guard (which no one else seems to think of :rolleyes:) etc.

So..what about it??

oh and yea - I whinning and looking for sympathy :p;)

I was playing on 56k in CIA 400ish ping people called for other high pingers (lower than mine) to be kicked but never me.
I think its due towards people not liking you for other reasons.
Some people are really paranoid about their own lag issues so blame anything.
Now i have 256k i still get 300ish ping on CIA which is why us nz'ers dont play RO cant wait for auzzie servers.
Yea warping, paranoia ,and kicking you for any excuse.

Upvote 0
THG repo said:
I was playing on 56k in CIA 400ish ping people called for other high pingers (lower than mine) to be kicked but never me.
I think its due towards people not liking you for other reasons.
Some people are really paranoid about their own lag issues so blame anything.
Now i have 256k i still get 300ish ping on CIA which is why us nz'ers dont play RO cant wait for auzzie servers.
Yea warping, paranoia ,and kicking you for any excuse.

Usually it is not the high ping, but the bragging about it which can get people kicked ;) It's not the rest of the server's population's problem if somebody thinks he would "pwn" them all, if he had a better ping, and letting steam off about that verbally :D

Upvote 0
-SemperFi-Jenova said:
DSL and 56k modems work no matter where you are as far as I knew.

No, even here in Norway (the richest country in the world, and among the more technically developed) we still have places without DSL, (like where i come from, but luckily, I've moved into the more civil parts now:))

I've never been to places you cant run 56k instead of 28.8 modems, maybe he (beerhunter) could just buy a faster modem? how about ISDN possibilities?

Upvote 0
BicycleRepairMan said:
I've never been to places you cant run 56k instead of 28.8 modems, maybe he (beerhunter) could just buy a faster modem? how about ISDN possibilities?

Our ISP (Telus BTW..Alberta,Canada) telephone lines restrict my connection to 28.8 on a 56K V-90 modem because of the distance from the city (about 25 miles) and the number of exchanges on the lines. Gawd I hate them!!

ISDN is available..at a cost of $125 / mo but their version doesn't allow Internet access , it's for secure data transfer lines.

Satelite is an option. Capital outlay roughly $800 for equipment and installation but from what I've read , isn't suitable for real time activities.

Wireless is my only hope and a couple of local ISP's are considering a move into this area but as I said , I've heard this before so am not getting my hopes up not to mention the fact we live in a heavily treed area and I might find the cost of a tower prohibative.

*sigh*

Upvote 0