• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lean implementation

Hyperion2010

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
NC
Im really happy to see that leaning has been implemented by the devs, it will really add to the feel of the game.

I do have a question about how leaning will be implemented though.

As far as I can tell there are 2 ways to do leaning, one where the animation for the player simply has their character (facing forward) lean to the side, nothing more.

The other way, which I find much more realisitic and useful, is to have the lean key lean the torso (in which ever direction) but THEN when the player moves the mouse ONLY the upper body turns and on release the view goes back to facing forward. (An alternate form of this implementation has only 1 lean key and turns and leans the player in the direction the mouse moves). Clearly a limit would have to but put on how far a player could turn around (like 160 degrees or something).

This second implementation allows players to "look" around corners with their backs to a wall, which is MUCH more like how it would be done IRL (dont know how many people stand with their face to a wall and then bend over sideways to look). Honestly the muscles that are used to "turn" and peak allow a soldier to snap back MUCH faster than the muscles for simply leaning sideways.

I hope that RO implements this second "back to wall" method where the torso turns and leans. I feel that from a gameplay perspective and from an imersion perspective ("look, that guy is doing what a real soldier would do!") that this would be the best implementation for RO.

Hyperion2010 said:
This second implementation allows players to "look" around corners with their backs to a wall, which is MUCH more like how it would be done IRL (dont know how many people stand with their face to a wall and then bend over sideways to look). Honestly the muscles that are used to "turn" and peak allow a soldier to snap back MUCH faster than the muscles for simply leaning sideways.

I hope that RO implements this second "back to wall" method where the torso turns and leans. I feel that from a gameplay perspective and from an imersion perspective ("look, that guy is doing what a real soldier would do!") that this would be the best implementation for RO.

That sounds like the implementation from Splinter Cell. It does seem more realistic at least for looking.

Another way to lean which might be more realistic, but may feel akward in the game or be difficult to implement is to stand perpendicular to the wall, and bend at the waist forward and look over your shoulder with your rifle out. This way you don't start facing the wall, but start with your shoulder against the wall.

So if your right handed, and you want to check around a corner on the left, you would approach the corner with your left shoulder against the wall, and lean forward at the waist with your rifle facing left, and pop your head and shoulders out looking to the left.

Stand up and try it, it makes much more sense that way.

Upvote 0
Ya, that was pretty much how I meant for it to work. Except that having the combo of both systems means that you can lean to peak around a wall from a long way away while also being able to stay protected while looking with your back to a wall.

As mentioned, who the heck runs up to a wall and stands there staring IRL at it (which happens alot right now in RO).

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Ya, that was pretty much how I meant for it to work. Except that having the combo of both systems means that you can lean to peak around a wall from a long way away while also being able to stay protected while looking with your back to a wall.

As mentioned, who the heck runs up to a wall and stands there staring IRL at it (which happens alot right now in RO).
Yeah Operation Flashpoint had something like this.

You could turn your back towards the wall and you could move your head independently.
Quite useless, but it's cool.

What if you could move towards the wall and just twist your neck around the corner to lure around?
You could use Q/E to lean just abit, to get your head past the edge of the wall.
And then you could independently move your head to peek.

Shitty though.
If normal leaning would be featured that would be fine enough to me.

Upvote 0