• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Detailed FX in Ostfront???

-=anders=-

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2005
Sweden
Hi...
I just sat here and thought about how detailed effects Ostfront will have.
Like does it now have realistic smoke like powder smoke off guns, and when bolting out the shell, does it come out smoke both in 1st and 3rd person view?
And does the smoke stay and rise or grow from the materials that bullets hits? Like dust from sand and concrete, wood etc. Will they have different smoke FX? I always wanted the smoke to stay longer when hitting things. I just thought that it would be possible now when you got the whole package of toys. It would be so cool if there could be a random system, like sometimes it would stay longer and somtimes not. But that depends on the wind strength i think. And UT does not have that I think. OFP have i think.

Does the bullets ricochets now? From like MGs?
Will blood stay longer on the walls, ground etc? And will others see it now, except just for the person who shot another.

Will helmets fly off if you hit them right? Just not a headshot.

Those little thing could do so much for the atmosphere.

Oh I just got to ask if we will get more voice commands and new russian voices?

Thats all for now...

Last edited:
-=anders=- said:

Yupp, all voiceacting redone.

I agree concerning dust and smoke bits.

But helmets should stay on the heads. If I am not mistaken, they were stapped to the head, so unless you manage to shoot the strap, you wouldn't see anyone losing it.

Upvote 0
worluk said:
yes, more efffects, higher load for the client. But i think that wouldnt be the problem since that could be made optional. A bigger problem would be something like blood on the wall that is visible for all players. The net load would be drastically increased.

Those blood effects would increase net load? :D
Well if it really does :)D) they can always make it client side.

Upvote 0
Shells ejected in both the 1st and 3rd person views in the mod, in fact there's an excellent example of this in the 3.1 trailer. Still don't know how the devs pulled off that shot, guess they were lucky the shell landed in front of the screen :D.

However, I remember that there was apparently some limitation of UT2k4 that meant that the shells had to be huge compared to RL, or they would disappear through the terrain or something. I hope that with the engine the devs managed to fix this, so that we don't have shell casings the size of stoagies flying around...

Upvote 0
Xendance said:
if you want the blood in the same area on the wall for all players, then yes
and it is already client side, but the point of the orginal poster was that it should be seen by all players, not only the shooter.
btw. im against those big splatter blood effects, but this already has been discussed to death in the suggestion forums

Upvote 0
Xendance said:
Yeah, that's just visual candy and satisfying for your eyes.. Doesn't neeed to be all correct on the surfaces. Just make it client side FX. But I think they've done that, if I know the team right... :D But ALL should atleast see it from other bodies that others killed.

Upvote 0
-=anders=- said:
Hi...
I just sat here and thought about how detailed effects Ostfront will have.
Like does it now have realistic smoke like powder smoke off guns, and when bolting out the shell, does it come out smoke both in 1st and 3rd person view?
And does the smoke stay and rise or grow from the materials that bullets hits? Like dust from sand and concrete, wood etc. Will they have different smoke FX? I always wanted the smoke to stay longer when hitting things. I just thought that it would be possible now when you got the whole package of toys. It would be so cool if there could be a random system, like sometimes it would stay longer and somtimes not. But that depends on the wind strength i think. And UT does not have that I think. OFP have i think.

Does the bullets ricochets now? From like MGs?
Will blood stay longer on the walls, ground etc? And will others see it now, except just for the person who shot another.

Will helmets fly off if you hit them right? Just not a headshot.

Thats all for now...
Well, if you have seen the great particle effects (fire, smoke, pouring fluids, lightening) from the RO mod, you'll know it's gonna be fine.

About the ricocheting bullets, I don't think that will be possible with the Karma physics engine.

Helmets won't fly off :p, they're simply too heavy to get blown off, and it has a strap to hold it on it position without flying of the bearer's head.

I do like the dust effect you would like to see on wood and concrete.
And I'd also like to see visible breath fumes coming out of your mouth in cold weather. (Of course, you won't breath when you die :p).

ShadowbaneX said:
No all the troops used that strap.
Nope, but the Stahlhelm is soo heavy even bullets can't shoot it off.

I don't feel like writing down whole the momentum law versus. counterweight of the Stahlhelm, but under normal circumstances (like NOT hanging upside-down :p) it shouldn't even twist the helmet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SgtH3nry3 said:
And I'd also like to see visible breath fumes coming out of your mouth in cold weather. (Of course, you won't breath when you die :p).
Ahh, I forgot about that... So cool it would be to have breath smoke from the opponents mouths. Then they can't hide in the bushes hahahaa! :)
No, but that woul really raise the atmosphere and make it alive..

Upvote 0
Pyros777 said:
I like the idea of small breath puffs accompanied by short shivering sounds on colder maps. It would finally give mappers more than one use for the temperature variable (current temp value only affects how long it takes for the MG to overheat). :D

And yeah I miss helmets falling off. :(
Hrm, never new that there was already an entity for this, but since there is....clearly it could have some quick implementation added and boom, you can see your breath when its cold out! (Could also be used to automatically decide if it was snowing or raining or sleeting, you know, just make it a really advanced "world weather" entity)

Upvote 0