• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cupola with gun?

Mormegil

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Nargothrond
I've read on these forums that some of these tanks had cupola mounted MGs, but they may have been rare in the Ostfront.

That got me thinking, could the tank commanders popping out of the cupola use an SMG if they had to? Would the guns available to the commander have been within reach?

Right now on 3.3, if your a tank commander/gunner, and see somebody coming up behind with a satchel, the best you can do is tell the driver (if you have one) to turn the tank around, and tell the MG (if you have one) to be read to start shooting. Or you can exit the tank to take out the saper.

IRL could the commander just have whipped out that MP40 or PPSh and fired away? Could this be implemented in the game?

In this case, the outside cupola view wouldn't fire the main gun, but give you access to your SMG. This would work best with another suggestion on these forums to have the outside cupola view be completely decoupled from driving the turret - making the turret rotation and gun elevation done by the movement keys.

Well in real life the commander would either have his hands on a pair of binocs, and/or his mike handset, not holding a SMG. The SMG would just get in teh way, and if you stowed it down in the turret, by the time you reached down and got it and then squeezed back up through the cupola, it would defeat the purpose.

I don't believe I have ever heard of a tank commander shooting from his cupola with a SMG, although the Germans were fond of putting shooting loops into their turrets to shoot infantry scrambling on the tank, although they eventually develepoded a much more effective device that was essentially a fragmentation explosive mounted on the outside of the turret.

Upvote 0
Most tanks were issued with one or two sub-machine guns, which were stowed in a seperate compartment somewhere at the rear of the tank, so a tank crew could climb out, fetch the weapon and defend themselves if the tank would be disabled. What we have now in RO is quite unrealistic, crew members popping out of a tank in a micro second with weapons, grenades and all.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind it if it was possible to survive a tank's destruction. Ie, the tank brews up and you still have a chance to get the hell out before you die. There could be burning damage or something, but still have a chance of making it out, perhaps with a pistol. Perhaps it would also be possible for a couple of ppsh's to spawn with the tank's demise to simulate raiding the idea that Red Storm posted.

Upvote 0
Tank crewmembers are the most versatile players in Red Orchestra: they can be infantry and shoot people with their SMG and chuck nades, they can drive a tank, they can fire the main cannon, and they can operate the tank MG. Something seems wrong there. :p

Perhaps give the tank crew members a penalty in weapon handling, as they're not a fully trained and experienced infantryman?

Upvote 0
ShadowbaneX said:
I wouldn't mind it if it was possible to survive a tank's destruction. Ie, the tank brews up and you still have a chance to get the hell out before you die. There could be burning damage or something, but still have a chance of making it out, perhaps with a pistol. Perhaps it would also be possible for a couple of ppsh's to spawn with the tank's demise to simulate raiding the idea that Red Storm posted.
Yeah, I mean tanks don't always blow up.
Mostly they'll just kill the engine of wreck something that kills the driver, gunner or any other crewman.

I hate it, that most games if not all games have tanks which actually blow up.
If I look for pictures of destroyed tanks, they usually looks like undamaged tanks, only with a huge hole, or several smaller ones, or a mix of them.
And sometimes, the turret is blown off :p
Dunno how they managed to do those things though :p.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
REZ said:
If anything make the exit time from a tank more realistic.... it's crazy to be setting a satchel down and then *pop* out comes the tank crew standing right next to you with guns in hand, blazing away. I always thought it was too easy to exit a tank. Maybe add an animation of the guy opening the hatch and climbing out, so it isnt so "instant".
Yeah, a lot of games still have this and I think it means purely agony for all gamers.

It's nothing more but trouble, so a climbing animation would be much better.

Upvote 0