• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

2 Men MG-Teams?

DraKon2k said:
Hey, I was wondering if we're going to see german 2men mg-teams? You know, the first guy is shooting, the other one carries the ammo and is holding it when the first guy is shooting. This wouldn't apply to the russians, since the the DP-28 is box fed.
I don't think this would work.

Why would you enter a server and want to play the ammo carier when you can also enter the action itself?!?

Maybe a pet AI-bot would suffice?

Upvote 0
Well, currently any regular soldier can give mgers an extra clip of ammo, simulating an extra ammo carrier without forcing someone to do it constantly.

There was a great deal of discussion over this in the old forum, especially on how to tie this into mg tripods for the germans and the towed maxim mg for the russians. I think the general decision was that it would would be extremely difficult to make it work correctly in the game (as well as get people to actually do it), so its probably been dropped by the devs.

Upvote 0
I don't think MG teams will work but maybe a panzerschreck team? There could be one gunner with the panzerschreck and no additional wapon. He can carry only one rocket in the tube. The other teammember carry an assault rifle, rockets and binockulars. But now we do not have any panzerschrecks...

Upvote 0
I second person would also act as the mg gunners eyes spotting enemies for him. So if there was some way to point of people who cross his line of sight and then let them gunner know. Like the person beside him is watching, give him binoculars and anyone inside his binoculars when he selects that area (just click his fire button) then they gunner gets a message like troops near the tower.

maybe even give the gunner a little symbol on his screen like an hand pointing in one directions. So the gunner gets the messages of troops around the tower, then a hand appears on his screen pointing to the left or right, up or down until the gunner his shooting at the right area. The spot sighted would be in the center of the binoculars view so the sighter could adjust the the sighted spots do the gunner gets very accurate info on where to aim. It would be up to the sighters to spot the enemies.

Upvote 0
Stangfriik said:
This is one of those things where the fun factor outweighs the reality factor. Just like a loader for artillery. Why would someone want to sit there and wait for the artillery command? I know I would never pick such a boring class
Indeed, maybe a bot would suffice?
At least, if bots are available in the game.

When you select either MG-42/MG-34/MG-08 Maxim-class a second bot will spawn with you, he'll run with you and when you deploy your MG-43/MG-34/MG-08 Maxim he will immediatly help you as a loader.

Same for the non-existing Panzerschreck class.

If the bot dies, a regular player (no matter which class) will help you.

Upvote 0
I still think I'd enjoy playing in that role from time to time, runn ing around with a good mg guy and setting him ammo and feeding/loading him the ammo while he blasts away.

As long as you get your own weapon to protect yourself incase someone rushes you from behind.

Bots would work for the times there's no players that want to fill the role, etc but when a player does, he picks the role and it spawns him with the mger.

Upvote 0
Stiler said:
Bots would work for the times there's no players that want to fill the role, etc but when a player does, he picks the role and it spawns him with the mger.
Sounds reasonable to me.

I mean if players really want to play as a machinegun-loader.
So be it...

But if there are no volunteers... Your pet AI-bot kicks in to help you.

Yeah, it has a future though.

Upvote 0
Well, technically, any one can help an MG out by simply staying with him, acting as another pair of eye's and ear's, as well as protection from flanking attacks. Just a matter of working as a two man team.

If jamming was implemented, having a loader could decrease the amount of jamming that would happen, at least thats one reason to have a dedicated mg loader, whether its an AI or human player... otherwise, the whole fun factor of babysitiing an mg gunner is probably very low.

But it would be a nice addition for a team that plays like one (it would also be nice to have a 4th person in a tank aka commander class who can act as a spotter... )
Though that two can be done by any other class... just set up on a hill with some bynoc's, and communicate enemy movement to the tanker's waiting around the hill.

Shadehunter

Upvote 0
I would actually often choose the role of MG support in maps without tanks. There is but one problem I see with it, however. MGers die to quickly. I usually don't make it through all my ammo with an MG and if I do it's because I was too far away for anyone to see my muzzle flash and pick me off.

A prime problem I see is that riflemen are just too good at picking off even a well covered MGer. As much as I love being able to sharpshoot so easily with a bolt action rifle (and I really do) I somehow think that riflemen weren't generally that good in WWII. If they were, I can't see how anyone survived. I don't know... I don't think I'd be very happy if I couldn't snipe with a bolt rifle, but I know I am not happy being so susceptible on the MG.

Upvote 0
I would prefer an "open" MG-Team. Which means: When another soldier is standing into a circle aruong the MG(radius of ~1m), the MG-Soldier can reload 10%faster and have 5% more accuracy. With a second soldier in the circle, 20%/10%. The additional soldiers could use their own weapons, and
the gunner could be able to see when one of the others would aim on an enmy soldier. Maybe he would see a green mark in a circle around the target, so that he only knows the approximate position of the enemy.

Upvote 0
Richard_B. said:
I would prefer an "open" MG-Team. Which means: When another soldier is standing into a circle aruong the MG(radius of ~1m), the MG-Soldier can reload 10%faster and have 5% more accuracy. With a second soldier in the circle, 20%/10%. The additional soldiers could use their own weapons, and
the gunner could be able to see when one of the others would aim on an enmy soldier. Maybe he would see a green mark in a circle around the target, so that he only knows the approximate position of the enemy.

While the idea in itself is very good, it just wouldn't really fit into RO's realism gameplay. I really like where this is going though.

Upvote 0
Imo it would be a useless feature, It would be aboring class, that no1 would enjoy. And to force a bot with evry mg, it might look nice..but why not just give the mger some extra ammo to simulate the ammo"guy". A bot would cause more lag in the game, destroying the fun. Not to mention that the bot wouldnt work in custom maps since most of em dont have bot pathing. I wouldnt work, it would be to complicated and imo a bit to over done..

So just drop the idea

Upvote 0