• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What would you rather face?

What would you rather face?

• Tiger

Votes: 67 78.8%
  • Panther

Votes: 18 21.2%

• Total voters
Depends entirely on my tank and the map.

Both tanks can be beaten by competent commanders, but one-on-one duels are inadvisable against either of them in anything other than an IS-2.

At close range, both tanks are weaker. This is the common problem with all German armor, though -- at close range their flanks are often vulnerable.

Really, though, it all depends on the situation. In any of the *76 Russian vehicles, I'll take the tiger, thanks. In the T34/85, I'll take on either tank IF I don't have to attack it head on and can actually flank it.

I still wouldn't judge any tank matchup based on ANY version of Arad. Arad is a shooting gallery. You might as well treat it like a live-action firing range.

Put simply, we have yet to see the capacity of pretty much ALL the tanks in the game and we won't until we have visual ranges of 2000-3000m. THEN you'll see why the Tiger is truly feared and the advantages of German armor over Soviet armor, as well as the offsetting advantages of Soviet armor and why they were designed the way they were. All this short range stuff we've been doing isn't a fair representation of the strengths of a lot of the tanks, or the weaknesses of other tanks.

Upvote 0
I completely agree with Solo4114 on this one....

In Ro, more realistic tank engagements happen in maps like Orel and BlackDay, however the range is still capped at 1000m, but it's a lot better than Arad. It's ashame that a lot of people get frustrated with driving long stretches especially in Orel, I've yet to play that map with two full teams.

However now that the devs. have opened up the option to make bigger map sizes and larger view distances (greater than 1000m) I'm wondering if anyone is working on a larger tank map?

Upvote 0
Depends entirely on my tank and the map.

Both tanks can be beaten by competent commanders, but one-on-one duels are inadvisable against either of them in anything other than an IS-2.

At close range, both tanks are weaker. This is the common problem with all German armor, though -- at close range their flanks are often vulnerable.

Really, though, it all depends on the situation. In any of the *76 Russian vehicles, I'll take the tiger, thanks. In the T34/85, I'll take on either tank IF I don't have to attack it head on and can actually flank it.

I still wouldn't judge any tank matchup based on ANY version of Arad. Arad is a shooting gallery. You might as well treat it like a live-action firing range.

Put simply, we have yet to see the capacity of pretty much ALL the tanks in the game and we won't until we have visual ranges of 2000-3000m. THEN you'll see why the Tiger is truly feared and the advantages of German armor over Soviet armor, as well as the offsetting advantages of Soviet armor and why they were designed the way they were. All this short range stuff we've been doing isn't a fair representation of the strengths of a lot of the tanks, or the weaknesses of other tanks.

Hear hear!

I dont have the patience to pay Orel, I admit. But the tiger really shines on Black Day!

I really REALLY look forward to new custom maps greater then a 1000m. It doest have to be the full 3000, but maybe between 1500 & 2500.

Upvote 0
The Panther is more a mixed bag in my opinion, you think youve angled it well and are sitting pretty and all of a sudden your engine is gone and your tank glowing red at the same time. I've seen 15 shells or so from 3-4 russian tanks just bounce off a panther that wasnt even angled all that great.

The Tiger when angled correctly is probably the hardest tank to kill in the game with the is2 being a close 2nd, the problem is I rarely see people who know its actual angle.... its 1.5 o'clock or 10.5 o'clock for you noobs out there. I actually got banned off a server called Battle-fields.com yesterday as they idiot admins thought i was cheating in the Tiger. I replied the tiger is the best tank in the game to which i got 'roflle noob haha no its not it suxxxx!!!111' he wasnt laughing when i I killed his tank 5 times in a row and was so furious he had to childishly ban me.

Upvote 0
If you're within decent range ie under 100m (in-game), a frontal hit would destroy a tiger. And that is correct!

But why not for a T34-85? An angled Tiger is still weaker than an angled T34 for some reason. This is the reason why I don't understand people raving about the Tiger being great at long ranges, it will have even more trouble penetrating a tank at 1000 meters when it can't even do it at 100 meters.

Anyone else think it is stupid that angling a Panther helps so much? I mean come on, it had a very thick and well angled front that was nearly inpenetrable in real life, but had weak sides. There are no shot traps modelled in RO so exposing the weak sides is silly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I don't really care. There isn't anything out there that can't be shot or blown up so it's just a matter of what kind of challenge I'm up against so I adjust my tactics accordingly. Obviously there are advantages but it's war man, so I will do whatever is necessary to do you before you do me.

Tigers were a far more superior tank than Shermans but in the end it was shear numbers that did it. So your big and bad, you don't scare me and I am not backing down. Ultimatly it's intellegence and communication that's gonna kick your ass!

Upvote 0
But why not for a T34-85? An angled Tiger is still weaker than an angled T34 for some reason. This is the reason why I don't understand people raving about the Tiger being great at long ranges, it will have even more trouble penetrating a tank at 1000 meters when it can't even do it at 100 meters.

Anyone else think it is stupid that angling a Panther helps so much? I mean come on, it had a very thick and well angled front that was nearly inpenetrable in real life, but had weak sides. There are no shot traps modelled in RO so exposing the weak sides is silly.

Yes thats true. I've found that angling (or my angeling anyway) has failed me alot as of late... The thing was designed to take the brunt of hits on the front, and I've found that even point-blank hits to the front have left enemy panthers unscathed! I think I will ditch angleing in future when it comes to the panther!

Upvote 0
But why not for a T34-85? An angled Tiger is still weaker than an angled T34 for some reason.

Very interresting since the T-34 only has 45mm of armor Vs the Tiger's 100mm and 80mm(sides/rear).
Angleing and sloping armor only go so far.

This is the reason why I don't understand people raving about the Tiger being great at long ranges, it will have even more trouble penetrating a tank at 1000 meters when it can't even do it at 100 meters

Thats right! The Tiger I's 88mm was one of its biggest assets yet in game it takes several 88mm shots to kill a T34 (both) even at close range!!? The 88mm was strong enough to bring down most heavier tanks in 1 shot which was one of the reasons the Germans armed the Tiger with the 88mm the only tank in game which should actually take a direct shot from an 88mm should be the IS-2 (only the 88mm L56 and I do not remember the ranges at which it could).
I mean if you take the Tiger I's main attribute away what do you have a vulnerable huge target which can be rushed since its fearsome gun is now little more than a cap gun- Ive had better luck penetrating T-34's in my pzIII L than the Tiger I. Even its heavy high quality armor has been nerfed since every 76mm gun seems to penetrate eventually and often but randomly they succeed in a 1 shot kill on the Tiger I.

Notice how even the poll supports the fact the Tiger I is unrealistically weaker than the Panther G!!

You will **** yourself when you encounter a Tiger on a server useing my armor mutator

It seems you got the armored part of RO right every tank seem to be accurate
and you fixed that blasted PTRD
too bad its not an official patch though:(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
dheepan said:
Tiger one owns t34s one shot even when it's angled will kill it

No, it does not even if the tank is at a very slight angle the 88mm will deflect sometimes when its not even angled which is unrealistic since combat reports state even at an angle a single round leaves the tank a heap of smoldering unuseable wreackage even its more heavily armored American counter part the Sherman suffered the same fate.

dheepan said:
just aim for the drivers hatch, and un angled just shoot the center of the tank and it explodes easily. The only time you won't one shot it, is if you aim low and hit the gun mantlet or the tracks.

I have video/demo (I will posted shortly on a new thread) of an the 88mm hitting the drivers hatch of a T-34/85 at 0 degrees and it still requires 2 shells to kill (no deflections although the T-34 should never deflect an 88 round)
It even takes 2 PF's to kill unless it predamaged!
The 88mm unless it hits the tracks or bearly nics the tank aiming should just require you to put the triangle somewhere on the T-34 (and fire) to get a kill (supported by numerious accounts combat reports testing and balistics)because of the enmorous power of the 88mm this is the same for the Soviet IS-2 which has also been nerfed armor and gun wise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0