• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Add Molotov Cocktail? (Merged)

[CoR]MiccyNarc said:
WTF? Let me say that again:

It was a common weapon.
If we have PPD40s, MP41s, and people begging for FG42s, I think the Molotov Cocktail has earned a spot.

I agree 100%

RO is currently almost unique in the gaming world as a refuge for "immerisive realism" junkies who like historical accuracy and know about the real world of WW2.

Molotovs were a common weapon and would hugely and realistically even up the balance when infantry were confronted with tanks in combat. The modelling of flame inside the tanks would be very immersive! LOL I am certain that I have seen molotovs used in a war game but can't remember which one it was. I honestly thought it was the RO MOD version but maybe not.

The opportunities for rambo types (they will always be with us) to run up behind a tank with a molotov in a fire-fight would add greatly to in-game drama too.

Upvote 0
molotov cocktails

molotov cocktails

well I was think that molotov cocktails would be cool..Also In the russian and german front there where alot of urban tank warfare.I thought it would be quite interesting to have a map like odessa mad into a tank map with a few tanks and halftracks with molotov cocktails being thrown out of building windows that would be quite interesting I think = )

Upvote 0
tehtemp said:
well I was think that molotov cocktails would be cool..Also In the russian and german front there where alot of urban tank warfare.I thought it would be quite interesting to have a map like odessa mad into a tank map with a few tanks and halftracks with molotov cocktails being thrown out of building windows that would be quite interesting I think = )
IMHO...
As cool as that would be...i still see that as a step away from combat and more towards cheap killing...I myself like a good skillfull enimey...one that makes you think hard about your actions...Molotov's would be nice only if they were given in one or two maps and even then only to a certain class...but i still dont see them as a very good improvment on the game...
but thats just MHO

Upvote 0
I did not say I wanted the motolov cocktail in every map just in urban warfare maps and yes It would improve the game cause there is not many games that have done that atleast WW2 shooters.And I dont understan "cheap killing"
I thought all killing was pretty cheap but JMHO
ps I do agree with the class thing.

Upvote 0
I think the problem with molitov cocktails (similar to flame throwers) is to make them realistic. I have not yet seen a game which managed to do this.

A molotov cocktail wouuld pretty much generate a pool of a burnig liquid, which is not hard to do on a flat surface, but once you start hitting walls, or vehicles, the whole thing could get really messy.

Upvote 0
Do not think this would be a good idea for the following reasons.

1. Flames are a killer of the in game FPS. Making it laggy as hell for most users.

2. Making the explosion would be a programmers nightmare for all surfaces (as said before) & the animations of deaths etc.

3. On defend maps you could just lob em at key points to prevent the oppositions access. Thus stifling the gameplay.

4. The lamers will use this instead of nades to spawn kill. Just think throw some cocktails into a spawn area & wait for them to spawn, instant death from the flames.

I can think of more but am too lazy to type em ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mappers could just place some boxes with molotov cocktails in houses etc etc.
The Finns also used them against russian tanks.
1980'ish, Swedish urban anti tank doctrine included taping a HE grenade to a petrol container, pulling the pin and lobbing the resulting FAE onto the back of a tank.

The burning petrol will be pushed through the airvents of anything not 100% airtight, plus the lack of oxygen will screw up the engines of state of the art tanks with airtight/NBC proof crew compartments.
So despite thermite, in all it's hatch eatign glory, Molotov's are still a proven tank fcker :)

This came first hand from the mouth of a Swedish, ex landing craft infantry officer, who was positively boastful, that all going well, even a winning Swedish marine landing against entrenched Russians, would have given him a calculated average life expectancy of 89seconds, (if) once the ramp dropped.

Upvote 0