• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will supressive fire be effective.

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I just looked in the search and saw nothing yet about supressive fire (beside in the penetration thread).
I'd like to know if a dev could possibly tell me (or anyone else for that matter) if supression will finally be effective. So basically will players get jirks if bullets fly by, making it unable to aim correctly? Will it be possible to lay down supressive fire for your teammates, while they move in?.

I know that in reallife you won't get some sort of jirking on the screen or whatever, but we don't have fear, we will never get fear. So i think there should be some sort of forced fear in the game. Just to make the gameplay styles more realistic.

There has been quite a bit of discussion about how to implement this over on the old boards. I think we will have to wait for an answer from the devs on this. For some reason I think that it may not be "coded" in to the game, however a good RO player knows that he should keep his head down. With the new weapon resting system I think its pretty much a given that walking slowly in ironsights to get a shot at a player laying down supressive fire will end in certain death.

Upvote 0
Why does suppression have to be coded or built-in to the game?

If I'm moving forward and a pair of MGs open up on me, I'll run and duck for cover and *maybe* be a bit jittery with my mouse, depending on how close it was. That natural tension could throw off my aim; it doesn't need to be coded.

In real warfare, you can have the guy who's stone cold and aiming steady, even when everything around him is being chewed to pieces. So, now you're going to make him automatically jerk everytime a round passes over?

Leave the effects up to the player.

I say a big hearty NO to coding in suppressive fire effects.

Upvote 0
WickedPenguin said:
In real warfare, you can have the guy who's stone cold and aiming steady, even when everything around him is being chewed to pieces. So, now you're going to make him automatically jerk everytime a round passes over?

The problem atm is everybody is like that guy, and nobody even slightly fears death, the worst that can happen is a wait of 45 seconds. Now if you'd add a max amount of "lives" per player instead of reinforcements per team. It might would have thesame effect. I'm not saying necessarily that it must be jerked. I just think there should be a method to make supressive fire effective.

I just wanted to know if the devs did anything to do that, for methods of how to do it there are 9934326 posts on the old forum itself. Getting a fear of death will never be realistical in a game, because everything stays a game. Thats why one of the many ideas is jittering things up, (maybe if you are experienced that you can get used to the jitter and get the mouse skills to counter it :p)

Upvote 0
Fu. Svedberg said:

And then when they die they ***** and whine like no tomorrow about the 45 sec waiting time instead of being careful with their lives from the beginning.:rolleyes:

Heey, I do that. :p

But like someone else mentioned, if the settle time for weapons increased (I don't mean the raising of the gun, but rather the alignment of the ironsights) and the transition time between stances would take just a tad longer, I think the supression would work on its own.

Upvote 0
Now that I think about it more, you really really dont want it coded to "move" your gun more. It would promote the wrong kind of game play becuase if you could get even 1 bullit near a guy laying down fire he would lose the advantage, making the game gimmiky.

Lack of real control/ artifical things that make it harder are VERY VERY VERY bad for RO gameplay. While it would be nice if there was some larger penalty for dieing theres really nothing you can do but make it easier to get killed if you do something stupid like stand up behind a wall being pounded by mg fire...

Upvote 0
I think it'd be nice for the mgers to be able to do that. As it stands right now mg's are basically good only for straight up killing.

I'd like to be able to pin people behind cover and because i'm firing right over their heads/around them, their aim isn't what it what normally be.

Perhaps you get sway, etc depending on how close the mg is firing on your location.

Upvote 0
Stiler said:
I think it'd be nice for the mgers to be able to do that. As it stands right now mg's are basically good only for straight up killing.

I'd like to be able to pin people behind cover and because i'm firing right over their heads/around them, their aim isn't what it what normally be.

Perhaps you get sway, etc depending on how close the mg is firing on your location.

I dunno. I certainly don't try to pop up when mg fire is hitting around me, or try to run across a street that an mg is firing down. While supressive fire doesn't effect a player's aim, it does let them know that someone is covering their position and will fire first if they pop up, and thus they stay in cover and hope the enemy loses interest.

Upvote 0
If we have decent penetration, supression could go a lot further. Or at least you wouldn't have "pop-up" riflemen right on the edge of a dirt mound ready to take a shot if bullets can go through dirt or thin walls.

Secondly, I'm all for an increased "settle time" when one goes from crouch to stand.

Something else that can work against pop-uppers is every time you pop up, your aim will be slightly shifted up or (most likely) down. Right now, you can aim in IS close to a target, crouch to cover, pop up to refine your aim, crouch for cover and repeat until you've got the target nailed, then take the shot on the next pop up.

IRL, your aim would shift everytime you stood up or crouched.

Upvote 0