• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The netcode.

gonzman

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne Australia
The one burning question I'd like the Dev's (Not community speculation) to answer is what kind of netcode are we going to see in the new RO, is it like the old style UT/3/4 netcode, favors the lower ping more than anything.

Or could we expect a Half-Life style netcode which predicts and evens things in (A bit better).

Personaly, i hate the UT netcode and the whole style of it, and i'd love to finally see some ability for a 350 ping to out shoot a 60 ping player. The worst thing about RO is trying to play while being out lagged, the difficulty is even if you fired first because of lag the enemy has ample time to shoot you and you will die.

but seriusly... a 350 ping? what are you? on dialup in australia trying to connect to a euro server?
from europe to west coast USA is 200ms at most for me.
and with anything sub 120 i dont even really notis much difference (exept a bit with the rifle, had to take more lead on the target)

a 350ms player is basicly laged out as far as im concernd and can make all sorts of strange things happen (once i was lagged out a bit and apperently i shot MYSELF, i got ahead of my own bullet)
i really dont want to encurage people to play with pings like that.
with your suggestion, the more they lag out the better they'll be able to play.
they'll be completely unprediable for the normal players, while still being able to shoot them.
no thank you.

the only real issue i have at the moment with the net code is when you turn a round a corner see nothing and a instant later a person is in the middle of the street.
it takes the game a while to figure out that you can see eachother, and it has to know that befor it will send you the data on that player.

infiltration fixed that by sending all the data all the time but thats a big strain on the servers.

Upvote 0
I will say that you have to read the stuff on source prediction, becuase while it may sound good in theory it just doesnt work as well. Its better to have straight up preference for low ping becuase its a whole lot easier to choose what server to play on. Heck with source getting on a server that actually works is a crap shoot becuase proformance is not based on ping in the slightest.

Stick with the UT2k4 (slightly modified) style netcode becuase it just simply better for server operators and for clients. Low ping = good is what you want to be able to say. For source I know for a fact that prediction means that low ping != good in many many cases.

It is easier to find a server with low ping than it is to search through a million servers with "low" ping that run horribly.

Being able to play on a server with 350 ping but not 50 should tell you something about prediction.

Stick with the pure netcode, its just better for the time being. Besides, soon there wont be any need for prediction becuase bandwidth will but up for enough people that all the info will get there on time...

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Besides, soon there wont be any need for prediction becuase bandwidth will but up for enough people that all the info will get there on time...

ping is a measure of latency, not bandwidth. All the bandwidth in the world won't make a 350 ping play like a 50 ping because the data you're getting is "old" compared to the data that the 50 ping-player is sending/receiving.

Upvote 0
Case said:
ping is a measure of latency, not bandwidth. All the bandwidth in the world won't make a 350 ping play like a 50 ping because the data you're getting is "old" compared to the data that the 50 ping-player is sending/receiving.
More bandwidth = less colisions, add that with faster speed and larger packet size and you get lower pings. Larger packet size means more information per server tick, therefore the more detailed the server client communication can be...

Upvote 0
The old CoR/CiA server would occasionaly allow me to ping 220, that was playable, last night i reinstalled RO went to play, had to join some server in the UK (All the rest were empty) ping was between 290-350.

I AM in Australia, i have 10mb Cable (downstream) 256k upsteam.

I'm not discussing the technical crap of a source engine style netcode, i'm discussing how it plays, and when lagged, it is without doubt, more FAIR to more players on average.

It also helps to remove the advantage of people with 20 ping compared to say 100 which is still fair.

I don't see truly how many people would prefer we have a netcode that favors only low ping.

I'm not 100% worried about it right now because i think RO-O will be stable and decent enough to have more players and a reasonable selection of servers, but just in case things don't go to plan, i'd still like a modern netcode and not play a game that feels like the online workings of Quake 2 (Click..Wait...shoot...hit)

Upvote 0
Dont know much about the source net code, but I rather not have a computer predict whether I killed someone in range or not... that just makes the game un-predictable realism wise... especially with RL balistics.

And as mentioned, I hate the fact that people can magically appear around corner's and such in the mod, no smooth transition.. one frame there is nothing, next frame, a full auto cutting you in half... irritating.
Excellent net code is key to fun gameplay, otherwise, a realism game can get very irritating.

And ping can also be affected by a router/switch/wiring... its rare that I ever get a ping below a hundred... can go as high as mid 200's at times, and thats on a 6mb cable line.

Shadehunter

Upvote 0
Shadehunter said:
Dont know much about the source net code, but I rather not have a computer predict whether I killed someone in range or not... that just makes the game un-predictable realism wise

I disagree very much, any issues you'll recieve with the predicition everybody else does too, and the bonus is when you click you shoot, and you will kill the enemy that way without waiting for lag to catch up. This is more realistic.

It might be unusual with predicition but it is fair, and suits games that require speed and accuracy.

Upvote 0
gonzman said:
I disagree very much, any issues you'll recieve with the predicition everybody else does too, and the bonus is when you click you shoot, and you will kill the enemy that way without waiting for lag to catch up. This is more realistic.

It might be unusual with predicition but it is fair, and suits games that require speed and accuracy.
Not ture, Source prediction is based on connection speed and ping, BOTH of which are differnet for each and every player.

(someone correct me if im wrong, i dont think i am)

Upvote 0
I think you are, it's about server rates compared to client rates, the big "fair"ness here is in fact if a player shoots an enemy on his screen, the enemy will die as if it were a completely lag free game, and that goes both ways.

Instead of having the guy with the 50 ping shoot, and kill the guy with the 150 ping even if Mr150 shot just a bit before, the kill would go to the 50 ping, fair? realistic? i don't think so.

Upvote 0
Got to agree with predictive coding here. I can't usually get on a server with less than 150ping and in tight situations it gets down to who has the fastest ping as to who survives. Also happens to me in Americas Army and it frustrates the fn hell out of me.

Tell me to play a lower ping server, I ask you to fly to the other side of the planet so I can knock your block off. On the whole with a ping upto 350 I can have a reasonable game but if people insist on boyenetting only or some other thing, then it's night from me cause I haven't a hope in hell.

In a game like this, it is fair to even the playing field so to give everyone a chance of a good game regardless of where they are on the plannet. Maybe RO Ost Front with gather a lot of interest and low ping populated servers might not be an issue but as it stands, it is.

Upvote 0
I can tell you that neither system is without flaws. PlanetSide (MMOFPS) uses client-side hit detection (if you can see the enemy you can hit him without having to compensate for lag). The problem with this system is that if you run behind a wall, a second or more later the enemy can shoot and kill you because on his screen you hadn't reached the wall yet (because his computer didn't update that you were infact all the way behind the wall). It can be very frusterating playing against players with very high pings because they take so long to update where you actually are and are always shooting and killing you in places you were seconds ago. I can't really say I prefer either method.

Upvote 0