• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Leningrad Streets

[TW]DrGuppy

Tripwire Interactive Staff
Nov 22, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
This is the map I was making for the Mod but seeing as RO:Ost is just around the corner I decided to put it on hold. In the meantime I'm learning to model in Maya. The basic layout is planned and most of the buildings are done in rough (although they'll need to be replaced). Anyways I figured I would start this thread now to give everyone a basic idea of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Description: As the name suggests this is an urban map in Leningrad (modern-day St. Petersburg). The map has a simple layout consisting of two main streets, buildings up the middle and on the sides of the streets, and also a few connector alleys and passages to allow players (and tanks) to cross back and forth. I chose Leningrad as my setting because of the great architecture and urban setting which would be a change from RO-WislaRiver (open countryside).

Axis forces will be attacking and have access to light tanks and other small vehicles (depending on what RO:Ost includes) to manouver through the debris-covered streets and roadblocks. The Allies will have very limited weaponry due to the seige but will have KV-1's since the main KV-1 factory was located in Leningrad and produced tanks throughout the war. Russians will have to rely on communication and their roadblocks to keep the German assault at bay. Most of the central buildings (between the two main streets) will be enterable as well as a simple sewer system underground.

Objectives: At this time I have 3 objectives planned out but may include more. The first is a complicated series of roadblocks with Anti-Tank positions overlooking them. The Anti-Tank positions will be mostly elevated inside the buildings and will require infantry to storm the buildings to take them out. The second objective is a searchlight position on one of the building rooftops that must be destroyed. The last (pending more objectives) objective is an underground communication bunker/command post. All of the objectives must be captured/held by infantry but whoever controls the streets will most likely win because nearly all buildings must be accessed from the streets.

History: Three months after being invaded by Germany the city of Leningrad (formerly Petrograd, presently St. Petersburg) was completely surrounded on September 8, 1941. The Siege (Blockada) lasted until January 7, 1944, a total of 900 days. To Hitler, Leningrad had long been a target as it was the birthplace of Bolshevism and ordered it razed to the ground. The people of Leningrad endured 900 days of hard labour, starvation, constant shelling, and aerial bombings. Estimates range from 1-2 million people in Leningrad were killed from shelling, exposure, starvation, and aerial bombings. During the siege precious supplies were transported across Lake Ladoga (nicknamed 'The Road of Life') whenever possible and later on KV-1 tanks were even transported out of Leningrad as the factory never stopped producing tanks throughout the siege. My map is based on Operation Feuerzauber (Fire Magic, later re-planned and re-named Operation Nordlicht or Nothern Lights) which was the planned invasion of Leningrad city in 1942. Although this plan was never carried out due to Soviet counterattacks and Germans never actually got past the suburbs of Leningrad I decided to base this map on what might have happened.

Screenshots:
Here are a few screenshots of the map for the mod. Nearly every building on my map comes directly from photographs of actual buildings along the central streets of Leningrad.

Russian National Library WIP:
(Photo)

LeningradSS0.jpg

Kazan Cathedral and Building No. 57 WIP:
(Photo) (Photo)

LeningradSS1.jpg

East Street

LeningradSS2.jpg

As I mentioned earlier this project is mostly on hold until RO:Ost comes out, can't wait to get back at it though! Stay tuned. :cool:

Last edited:
Exellent! Good to see a map based on a real world location (even though battle is a what if?). Real world location= more authentic=more immersion IMO.
This is the difference between if I like a map (good map but not based on the real place) or love a map ( based on the real location as much as possible).
I like how the balconies,# of windows+rows in that one building are just as they are in the picture, nice attention to detail. Kazan cathedral! If you plan on modeling the inside
of it that's going to be quite an undertaking lol. I think it's insanely detailed, might have to simplify. I myself am working on a map that's based on an actual place also. Edit: just re-read where you said most main buildings will be enterable...Nice!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
By the way, I downloaded Wisla River--I love it!

Great realism on the terrain, trench, and little objects--looks a lot more realistic than most maps, where a Communications trench = square hole with radio on a table.

And the approach up to the trench, along with looking down from the trench, look just about how I imagine the real thing would be--messy but protective. Nice going, especially for a first map.

I do, unfortunately, think that it'll eat framerates & be laggy, since it does have waving trees, a good amount of little details, and fairly open spaces. I am really hoping the BFE crew can test it for you and make it play as good as it looks.

And now back to Leningrad--rock it brotha! I have faith you can make this a very good interpretation, and not end up with the virtual successor to Kiev.

Upvote 0
Lucius said:
I think it says in the overview that RO:OST maps are based on real locations. :cool:

*edit*

Found it: Fight intense battles on 13 authentic Eastern Front combat environments

Oh I know they are, I'm not trying to knock the developers maps (they absolutely rule!) But I think sometimes it might be hard to find info or pictures of a certain place
so they use 'creative license' or 'guestimation' which is totally understandable. I just think on battles that have alot of info out there on them every effort should be made to stay true to history. Like the old Berlin map, I don't think any building or street on that map represented what was actually there, aside from the Reichstag of course.

Upvote 0
You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to create a map based around an historically correct location - a lot of effort goes into researching the material and making the buildings look and feel right - correct textures - correct architecture and proportions - correct placement - everything - then if it's a shelled city you then begin the task of demolishing your work - if it isn't right someone will notice - I'm not naming names here or anything (Ingmar)

Lruce

Upvote 0
Lruce Bee said:
You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to create a map based around an historically correct location - a lot of effort goes into researching the material and making the buildings look and feel right - correct textures - correct architecture and proportions - correct placement - everything - then if it's a shelled city you then begin the task of demolishing your work - if it isn't right someone will notice - I'm not naming names here or anything (Ingmar)

Lruce

Case in point, RO-MoltkeBridge. And that was with before and after aerial photos of the neighborhood cataloging the buildings and level of destruction.

Maybe with Flashpanhunter now on the dev team, we might get a fully-realized Moltke Bridge map.

Upvote 0
I actually started planning this map a while ago thinking that combat did actually take place within Leningrad itself. Turns out the Germans never entered the actual city although fighting occured around the suburbs. During this learning process of what actually took place I found out the Germans had serious plans on two different occasions to push into the city but both times were cancelled due to Soviet counterattacks. Although this isn't historically accurate it came so close to coming true that I decided to continue making the map anyways.

I think it's important to put the spotlight on areas of the war that otherwise may never be shown. The people of Leningrad are often overlooked because of more common battles around Stalingrad, Moscow, Berlin or other town/cities. Plus look at all the cool architecture I get to make! ;)

Oh and thanks to everyone who commented on Wisla River! I'm currently working on some fixes now that I have some feedback of what it plays like online. I'll keep you guys updated on my progress. :cool:

Upvote 0