• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No death messages by default

Mormegil

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Nargothrond
I know I'll get a bashing for this by my BFE teammates and clan players.

I just got to say that having no death messages (maybe not on "n00b" servers) would go a long way to immersion and forcing more realistic team play.

For example, I can toss a nade into a room or window that I know somebody is in, look up for a death message, and know that the room or coast is clear.

Same thing with trying to take out MGs from a distance. Not knowing for sure if somebody is dead will make you more cautious.

this has to be an option to the server admin (and i actually doubt they changed that). For public play its ok, for wars and BFE, well, usually you dont do public stunts in wars anyway. Still i dont see a reason why it shouldnt be an option.

Its the server admins fault if they dont set the according variables :cool:

Upvote 0
This kind of feature (which I would personally love) does not work if it isn't added as a default for servers. People want to load the game and play it, changing extra settings usually does not get picked up by the masses. Take a look at RO currently, sure you have the option of taking them off but most servers stick with the defaults. Personally I think they should be off by default but definately keep the option to turn them on in the server menu.

Upvote 0
DrGuppy said:
This kind of feature (which I would personally love) does not work if it isn't added as a default for servers. People want to load the game and play it, changing extra settings usually does not get picked up by the masses. Take a look at RO currently, sure you have the option of taking them off but most servers stick with the defaults. Personally I think they should be off by default but definately keep the option to turn them on in the server menu.

most server admins stick with it cause they like it that way. ou can be sure that every admin atm knows that this setting exists and also at leadt would know who to ask what setting it would be.
+ the fact that most servers are run by clans and for matches (at least for ladder wars) DM have to be on atm

Upvote 0
Manstein said:
this brings up interesting problems tho, with TK's, if there's no death messages, people would get kicked for what would appear to be no reason, when really they just hit their TK limit, this would be especially problematic for new players, who, as we all know, TK quite a lot more than vets

This reminds me. We should probably go dig up one of the old IFF threads from the old board and post it somewhere for new people. We all know that at the beginning its nearly impossible to tell friend from foe and having a sticked thread on the issue might help new players right from the start.

Upvote 0
worluk said:
most server admins stick with it cause they like it that way. ou can be sure that every admin atm knows that this setting exists and also at leadt would know who to ask what setting it would be.
+ the fact that most servers are run by clans and for matches (at least for ladder wars) DM have to be on atm
and because you are the big leader of it all i guess we won't see it getting turned off for ladder matches (i personally like turned off death messages though) But still press f1 and you see if you killed him. you'd need a scoreboard that only updates like once every 3 mins or so.

Upvote 0