• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Makhnovo released

Monkwarrior said:
ps don't burp so much on teamchannel silly boy

One little burp, that's all it was :p

p.s. I am 41, even if I act 14.

BTW - I have identified about 4-5 parking zones around the poshta - some very obvious such as in front ('nade rain ensues), by the well (watch out for guys proned to your front and left by the yard), to the right by the wheelbarrow (this catches allies out - there is a large hole in the fence you can drive through), round the back (not so much use as there are no holes in the poshta fence there) and, finally, my own personal favourite, driving straight thru the open front doors and parking in the middle of Poshta dining area :eek: .

That example of ram-raiding normally provokes cries of "WTF!?!" from the allies and actually works quite well. Make sure you only have one guy in the HT though as he will probably be unable to bail out and so should just switch from driver to MG and spray the kitchen/stairs area, until he is shot, usually from behind.

Rez - getting stuck in the bath is a common problem for people of a certain weight :D I suppose I could move it right into the corner to prevent that.

Slyk - There are no terrain 'holes' to the best of my knowledge - there may be areas where the terrain dips below the bottom of the house smesh and there are certainly areas where grass is growing thorugh the floorboards of some of the khati. This last, whilst not exactly deliberate, kind of ties in with the theme of a lot of the buildings being semi-derelict.

There are also certainly areas where grass shoots off the top of hills - the smooth brush should take care of a lot of them. Can't say as I noticed any floating stuff on my last run through - can you remember what it was you saw? bushes maybe? or fences?

If, after 6 years of marriage, I ever find myself needing to impress the parents of a girl again I will try and bear your words of wisdom in mind :p

Kabex I have indeed used location names for all the houses and their gardens but I just noticed that some don't work and that some numbers mysteriously disappeared from the OH map. :confused:

Upvote 0
Nestor,

During the same round in which we found the bathtub thing, we were subject to an extreme amount of spawn camping. We had a very good, communicating team, and soon the Germans found out that they simply would not be able to take the Poshta. So the map turns into a reinforcements battle, which is fine, but this particular German team thought it would be smart (I found it to be tasteless) to spawncamp us in force. Not just one rogue guy, but many guys hanging out in our spawn, throwing nades and taking pot-shots. Is there anyway you could add a mine zone around the perimeter of the first Allied spawn so players wont feel compelled to spawn kill...... please?

Upvote 0
I've played this map quite a few times (on a full server), and I find that the Poshta is really just too hard to cap. I think the primary reason for this is that it is nearly impossible to get grenades into the windows. If you ever revisit this map, please remove the grids from the windows (even though they look very good).

I also found a spot on the opposite side of the initial German spawn (out past the windmill in the wheat field) where the terrain doesn't allow the HT to drive for some reason. It's past the wheat field. WAY out there. The reason why I have to drive out there is because the Russain MG'er sprays me with bullets whenever I'm returning to the spawn to pick up more guys.

I really like this map. I just think it's a bit too hard for the Germans to cap the first objective. It becomes frustrating after a while.

Upvote 0
Well the thing is you need to disembark at a distance and the enemy sniper should be doing his job taking out the pt's and mg's in the buildings. It's not impossible but it requires a higher degree of teamplay. It always comes down to reinforcents. I played this map with the guys at Ironcrescendo and we were short handed by 4-6 people and we managed to hold out till the last minute, and last 20 seconds in the first two rounds. We lost basically because we ran out of reinforcements, damn you beta 3! The germans have superior firepower, and you must use it to your advantage to win the map. The Potsha is a strong russian position and you have to use teamwork to overcome it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for putting so much time into this map Nestor. I've play a couple good matches on it and its a solid challenge for both the Russians or the Germans to win. And that is amazing!

*7GA* Nestor Makhno said:
BTW - I have identified about 4-5 parking zones around the poshta - some very obvious such as in front ('nade rain ensues), by the well (watch out for guys proned to your front and left by the yard), to the right by the wheelbarrow (this catches allies out - there is a large hole in the fence you can drive through), round the back (not so much use as there are no holes in the poshta fence there) and, finally, my own personal favourite, driving straight thru the open front doors and parking in the middle of Poshta dining area :eek: .

I find parking the HT's in the wheat field to the east side of the poshta (or whatever side which doesn't have windows) works well. Three times now I've been part of a group which unloaded there, made our way through the hedges/fence, across the road, through the gap in the poshta fence and up the stairs to take the poshta. Even a half-squad of germans can take out whatever resistance is covering that side and get into the poshta (staying alive in there is another matter).

Keep this in mind Russians and cover that flank well. The Motherland depends on you! ;)

Upvote 0
As REZ mentioned there is quite a bit of spawn camping going on which needs to be adressed. I would place some anti-tank barricades in a line across the roads near the Station so at least the Germans can't drive halftracks that way. FPS was quite low because the map is so flat and has so much vegetation. Be sure to turn off collision on anything that doesn't need it and maybe cut down the vegetation in places where not a lot of fighting happens. I would also work on the flow of the map a little bit because it seems most of the Germans simply walk forward and end up at the Station and not the Post Office.

Other then those points I found the map to be very realistic looking and fun to play. If the Germans get some teamwork going it is very winnable for them. Good work. :cool:

Upvote 0
Ohnoes, I know - you have stated the map is finished but I still have to say what I have in my mind - I didn't have time to test b3 because I was on holiday trip.

I kinda liked the less graphical version of it (b1), now it has heavy amount of objects and everything has strong contrast.

problems: (the performance problems may have disappeared after I reinstalled the game but I haven't played it after reinstalling so I dont know yet)
a) the benches at church put my fps to 1-5.
b) generally fps dropped a lots from betas.
c) russian spawn visible from station windows and when you are capping it, you can see enemies popping out from no-where.
d) jumping out from window to the station ramp's roof makes you fall thru the texture, its not solid?

suggestion:
a) I think germans should be able to flank church from the direction where russian spawn exists before station is capped.

But I haven't changed my opinion: This is a great map.

Upvote 0
It appears that the designer (Nestor) removed the collision from the windows prior to my before post.

Thank you very much for doing that.

I have one final comment and then I think this map will be perfect.

Nades. There is possibly a bug which allows Grenades detonating NEAR the halftrack to kill the driver. This should not be possible. Because of this, I would suggest that the grenades are removed from the Russian players loadouts (except for maybe the commander). Once the halftrack/grenade bug has been addressed, you can put them back in.

That will give the Germans a chance to actually get the halftracks to the the Poshta without getting nadespammed to death.

I still contend that the Poshta is the hardest capzone in the game (OK, Town Assault's final objective is harder, but IMHO that map is ridiculously German Biased). But that makes it FUN.

To fix the "spawn camping" issue, I think you should have the Russians spawn BEHIND the Poshta (say near the pond), rather than in the Station. It will be harder for the Germans to spawn kill when they have to go though the Russian lines to do so. (And to be clear, the Russians like to spawn camp from the right hand fenceline with rifles. That should be addressed as well)

Personally I feel most players spawn camp on this map because the first objective is SO hard to take that it gets frustrating and then the spawn camping proceeds from there.

Upvote 0
Ok - I had no chance to release the fixed version last weekend as promised. I'm afraid RL came crashing thru my door in the form of a bit of a dust-up with an anti-social neighbour of mine.:mad:

Still, no bones broken, situation back to normal.

Before it all kicked off, Dr Guppy patiently sat down with me and talked me thru 'The Way of the Optimiser' (like a Bruce Lee film but with slightly less cheesy overdubbing). So that map is now approaching the point of being as optimised as it's gonna get. This is still going to put quite a load on people's gfx cards though - the design is basically just too big, flat and full of smeshes to ever get it to the kind of level that, for example, TW, would release a map at. To put it bluntly, some people will not be able to play this map on the rig they've got.

I have been experimenting, albeit unsuccessfully, with a method of getting team-specific mine volumes to move about depending on the capping of objectives. This is what is going to be needed to prevent the axis spawn-camp.

I have slightly decreased the cap times for the objectives as well, in the hope that this will remove the temptation for axis to spawn-camp when they should be capping.

I have also added an extra stairwell up to the Station Telegraph Office (from outside the 'Wicked Penguin Memorial Kraphaus').

Reinforcements have been increased for both sides.

I will certainly be endeavouring to get the spawn-camp-proof version out on Saturday.

Upvote 0
Something I didn't test (yet).
Did anyone ever time the time it takes for a sovjet to return to the 1st objective and compare this to the time for a german to reach this objective ? And I mean INCLUDING the wait-time for a HT to spawn and getting inside + driving it.
I still have a strong feeling that the sovjets will allready be in a defensive position while the germans are still driving towards the objective. If so it explains partially why the first objective is so hard to cap.

Monk.

Upvote 0
The Axis spawn every 15 seconds, the Russians every 20. But with the 30 seconds spawn time for half-tracks and the time spent waiting for a full load this is probably a very good explanation of why the first is so hard to cap - I had never thought of that.

I suppose decreasing the HT spawn time to 15 seconds would work.

Frankly, though, a lot, if not most, of the successful axis assaults I've seen have been a combination of slowing down the reinforcements (admittedly sometimes by the dubious tactic of spawn-camping) and a head-on storming of the poshta.

Upvote 0
Phoenix-D said:
I'd definitely say leave the grenades in. The HT bug isn't that significant.

I respectfully disagree. It is possible for the russians to knock out the HT well before it ever reaches its objective because of this bug. It's very exploitable and IMHO the Germans rely on the HT too much for the issue to exist on this map.

It's also (IMHO) too easy for the Russians to simply throw 5 or so grenades (since everyone has them) at the HT as it stops to unload, killing everyone who's disembarking. The map HAS to be somewhat balanced. I don't think it's very fair that the Germans HAVE to catch the Russians sleeping in order to get their halftracks unloaded without losing most of the people aboard.

Besides, there's plenty of other custom maps where there are very few nades and nobody seems to complain. Heck, the Germans on Tula outskirts have to assault bunkers and only the commander gets nades.

Upvote 0