• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Server requirements.

I could tell you that the testserver is a dual xeon with tons of ram (Thx Clanservers <3), but that wouldn't help. I would say you can host 10-20% more players with RO:Ostfront at the moment (it isn't finished yet). Does not sound alot, but it is a huge improvement.

Ramm-Jaeger can tell you more, i bet he will help us out :)

Upvote 0
There is a linux dedicated server Steam client. Valve is probably 80%-90% of the way to having a linux Steam game client but they so far have not released one. From what us out-of-luck linux users can gather the dedicated server client does everything that the normal Steam game client does except provide a GUI browser to purchase games. If Valve's website let you log into a Steam account and purchase games then I see no reason why the same linux client couldn't be used to start the game client instead of the dedicated server...

Upvote 0
[RO]schneidzekk said:
I could tell you that the testserver is a dual xeon with tons of ram (Thx Clanservers <3), but that wouldn't help. I would say you can host 10-20% more players with RO:Ostfront at the moment (it isn't finished yet). Does not sound alot, but it is a huge improvement.

Ramm-Jaeger can tell you more, i bet he will help us out :)
are there any optimizations included for amd opteron vs. intel xeon and vice versa, that we can use? what is the best option? im mean on the server side.

Upvote 0
Well, when you use the server only as a gameserver, you do not need alot of RAM, 1 gig should be enough. CPU, quite simple as always: Get the fastest one you can afford :p. IMHO Opterons outperform Intel CPUs under linux, do not really know which processor is better under windows.

Even though i would personally prefer linux, i read somewhere that the Unreal Engine 2.5 based servers perform a little better on windows systems.

Great, i think that did not help at all :).

Upvote 0
[RO]schneidzekk said:
Well, when you use the server only as a gameserver, you do not need alot of RAM, 1 gig should be enough. CPU, quite simple as always: Get the fastest one you can afford :p. IMHO Opterons outperform Intel CPUs under linux, do not really know which processor is better under windows.

Even though i would personally prefer linux, i read somewhere that the Unreal Engine 2.5 based servers perform a little better on windows systems.

Great, i think that did not help at all :).

All right, thanks, so it will be AMD 2.2Ghz and linux with a 1G Ram and a dedicated 100mb connection. yahooo!=) Thus most Europeans and Scandinavians would have a very low ping there as we are going to re-root the channel to the west.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Drude,

Your 1mb up isn't as bad as you think... it might be ok if the server is colocated and using 95th percentile billing and you can burst over 1. When our UT2K4 Onslaught (aka "resource pig") was full at 32 man, we threw a couple spikes over 2, but the base of the usage was about 2/3rd to 3/4ths of the 1 meg line. Plus, if you modify the config and keep the max-connection-rate down, you'll be able to keep the data throughput somewhat under control.

GL!

Upvote 0