• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Anti TK matters.

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Lately in the mod i'm seeing more and more purposal tk's. Atleast a few times a day will someone join the server to teamkill for fun.

Now afcourse we're able to set things up as punishment, kick, sessionban, timelessban.

My personal problem is that the limits are usually, hard to set. You can already change the max tk factors for bullets, grenades and artillery. To change the tk limit to the possility of real tks.

My problem is related to new players, older players will usually have an accidental tk, but new players sometimes continue clearing a friendly objective only finding out he killed a few teammates after a while.

In order to not scare of new players you can set the tk limit really high, but then a forcefull tker might be able to ruin 1/4th to 1/2nd map on purpose.

Sadly a kick won't scare off forcefull tkers but it will give some notice to new players. A sessionban will scare of players even more, but usually the tker will return an hour later or so.

Basically the only thing that will keep tkers out is a lifetime ban or atleast a really long ban, but you don't want to ban accidental new players. Without them even seeing a warning they are tking too much.

So i was wondering if it's possible that the server will count the amount of normal kicks between a set timespan. Once it counts 3 kicks within the timespan it will full ban (or something along that line).

That way new players will atleast know what they are up to, i just want alot of players to enjoy playing. While giving the new player teh opportunity to learn the game the way its meant to be (with tks on), without any forcefull tker getting the opportunity to ruin the game.

(I hope that the community will soon make a mutator like the old anti TK mutator, preferably one that doesn't crash the server :p)

Well, according to the online interview with devs Bill and Dave, you won't be able to spawn tk anymore or blow up your own tanks at spawn. So that's one problem solved.

From a player standpoint I would say an auto-ban for excessive TKs is ok, but maybe for an hour or so. Maybe a few hours or a day, but not permanently.

Permanent bans should only be given out personally by admins. It would suck to have a bad day with arty and get auto-banned permanently.

Akso remember AFK people in spawn are a legitimate target. :p

Upvote 0
the key to this is to admin your server as much as possible. Intentional tkers are very obvious and get just a single warning with me about. Then perma ban their ass!!.

www.roladder.net has a list of (ut mod atm) bans plus servers that obey good admining rules (see "server rules").

Plus its helpful to give admin powers to other players you trust (ie other clanleaders etc) so they can keep an eye out when your not about.

Upvote 0
team killers will always find a way round being kicked. i remember on 1 server i was playing on, 1 guy was team killing he was warned that he would be kicked if he carried on. so he changed his tactics instead of killing he used his pistol to shoot his teammates, once or twice not enough to kill you but to seriously deplete your health. I found that more annoying than the tking, as it took people longer to realise what he was doing. ooooh !!!makes my blood boil. :mad:

if you invent somthing that is idiot proof. someone else will invent a better idiot..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
spraduke said:
the key to this is to admin your server as much as possible. Intentional tkers are very obvious and get just a single warning with me about. Then perma ban their ass!!.

www.roladder.net has a list of (ut mod atm) bans plus servers that obey good admining rules (see "server rules").

Plus its helpful to give admin powers to other players you trust (ie other clanleaders etc) so they can keep an eye out when your not about.

You know that, that is what we have for now, but there isn't always an admin arround while we've got lots of em.

Upvote 0