• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

sniper scope and reload

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/9130sniper.htm

The Soviet PU scope was 3.5x, the PE and PEM scopes were 4x. I've never really used the Soviet sniper in the game, so I forget which mount/scope combo its got on it.

The German sniper looks like a high or low turret mount with 4x or 6x Zeiss scope on it. Again, I'm not much of a sniper, so I haven't paid too much attention.

Upvote 0
The_Countess said:
quote from the new rifle manual, rifles for dummy's :

"move your ironsights over the target and then you just double click on your enemy to kill them"

i'll probably stick with auto bolt (if possible) as long as they made the auto re-aim interruptable.
Quote from the current rifle manual, rifles for dummies 3.3:

"Move your ironsights over the target and then just click on your enemy to kill them" ;)

I tried out the Trenches mod for HL (as several here advised others), and I have to say that I like the idea of manual bolting. Granted, taking away secondary fire as bayonet is not something I though was the best idea, but it is very easy to pick up. MB all the way! :)

Upvote 0
The_Countess said:
quote from the new rifle manual, rifles for dummy's :

"move your ironsights over the target and then you just double click on your enemy to kill them"

great! i'll feel like im starting a programe every time i kill somebody.

i'll probably stick with auto bolt (if possible) as long as they made the auto re-aim interruptable.

New rifle manual? :confused:

Upvote 0
Jimmy said:
New rifle manual? :confused:
yes... the (hypothecial) one they are going to make... for RO:O.
that i was sarcasticly referencing to.

"Move your ironsights over the target and then just click on your enemy to kill them"
yes exectly. and thats how it should be. note the complete absence of any reference to windows style double clicking in order to kill your target.

I tried out the Trenches mod for HL (as several here advised others), and I have to say that I like the idea of manual bolting. Granted, taking away secondary fire as bayonet is not something I though was the best idea, but it is very easy to pick up. MB all the way!
dispite how much i hate it i REALLY hope its just under the fire button and not some key on the keyboard or god forbid the right mouse button (thats for IS mode and IS mode ONLY!, anybody who has anything different should be shot. twice.)
not having it under the fire key would be really confusing to new players (who will get stuck with a rifle first time round in all likelyhood) not to mention verry counter intuitive.
MB was only added because apprently interruptable bolting got to complicated. i still think that would have been the more ellegent sollution thou. they also removed interruptable reloads for the same reason... even thou they worked fine in the mod.
so i dont get it. why?

here's hoping they left atleast all the other interrupable actions in there. being a sitting duck while your soldiers obsessivly trys to finishes something is easily and by FAR the most anoying thing in the mod.

Upvote 0
As a note, since someone was trying to figure it out, I'm pretty sure that the German scope is a high turret mount, with the 4x power Zeiss.

Though, I'm a little curious as to whether or not the game is going to incorporate the PE and PEM scopes, as the PU scope wasn't actually issued until mid-1943.

And for the earlier topic of if one can remain scoped in, or if the recoil would knock oneself out of the sighted position. Just to test it, I took my Mosin Nagant sniper up to the range this morning, and yes, you can keep your scopes field of vision even with the recoil. It still takes a second or so to re-locate your target, but it is possible to never loose your FOV.

Well... until you reload, anyways.

Upvote 0
JCoquillon said:
I won't give details but the manual bolting is so easy to use and intuitive that I couldn't consider going back to auto bolting. It is well worth the 10 minutes it takes to pick up, in terms of improving how you play the game.
If you are serious, this is the best news about Ostfront I've heard. Being able to clear my magazine of the last round, without giving away my position...oh man. Two years of playing RO, and that's been the thing I've fiended for the most. More than new weapons, way more than the introduction of vehicles, that single thing.

I pre-ordered a half hour before looking for more on this subject, and damn, if you're serious...so giddy.

Upvote 0
Athena said:
Unfortunately, you can't do that:

[23:56] <[RO]Ramm-Jaeger> You can't manual bolt to ditch your last ammo
[23:57] <SgtH3nry3> Why not? :(
[23:57] <[RO]Ramm-Jaeger> You only manual bolt after firing

Now you have to be messing with me :confused:. If not, then I suppose there's a reason. Can't be all that hard to implement it for an unfired round, if it's in for a fired round...argh. So confusing. And depressing.

Upvote 0
Bet said:
Now you have to be messing with me :confused:. If not, then I suppose there's a reason. Can't be all that hard to implement it for an unfired round, if it's in for a fired round...argh. So confusing. And depressing.
A bullet, doesn't matter if it's fired, unfired or a dud, should have it's own entity.

Manual bolting IMO should be used in such extent that you can totally recycle all bullets out of your entire clip/mag/en-bloc (whatever) so you can use it for tactical ends.

And reloading mid-clip (loose bullets or whatever) such be possible aswell...

It's good, but far from good enough IMO.

But I haven't seen it in action, so I can't judge it.

Upvote 0
Llyranor said:
Wait. If you want to bolt out your unfired clips because you want a fresh clip without having to fire them, and since that option apparently isn't available, can you just 'reload' and get a new clip in?
Not as it stands in version 3.3, there is no DoD-style '5 round stripper clip even after firing only one shot' reload. This is a good thing, and a bad thing. Good because it aids in the immersion, bad because it means you give away your position to get rid of that last round or two before heading into fresh combat. This is always the issue that 'manual bolting' threads end up boiling down to, amusingly enough. The exception being the sniper scope threads, like this one here.

Upvote 0