• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO and foul language

Thank you Jack. But maybe me and you are both wrong. Cursing, and apparently ambushes and such, never happend in war so im sure it shouldnt be in a WARgame. All the personal accounts ive read depicted them as saints that prayed all day in silence, gathered flowers in the morn, and had tea party's at dawn, then of course got up out of the trenches and shot people in the face, skewed them through the throat, and blew them to pieces with explosives. They never, EVER, cursed though. That might make them break down in tears and divert them from fighting the war.

Upvote 0
Jack said:
Probably 50 years from now no one will even really know what the Nazis stood for or what their aims were.

No. The facts and memories will continue to get blurry and misconstrued as time goes on but that was a war which was started by one the most evil regimes in history. Thousands of photographs, video footage, books, etc. have documented the war and the pre-War Nazi period and centuries from now people will continue to look in interest in that time period just as certain historians are interested in ages well before the modern era. I seriously doubt us humans won't let ourselves forget.

Upvote 0
We do not need any hard coded language filters in the game engine.

If server admins wish to enforce a policy of not swearing on their servers, let them.

On the Battlefield.no servers overuse of profanity is frowned upon, and harassing other players is a reason for warn/kick/ban.

On a game server, one wants a friendly atmosphere, if Amerikaner needs to feel aggressive and swear, he should go about bombing a third world country or something.

On a sidenote, i remember an interview of some of the real people portrayed in the band of brothers mini-series. They actually reacted on the use of swearing in the show, and thought that they didnt swear that much in their day. Something to think about.

Another sidenote:
Anybody else watching Battlestar Galactica? Freck you! Freck this! Motherfrecker! He's frecking with me! Freckin' A! ^^
The weird thing is that it actually works.

Swearing is a pollution of the language, and should not be encouraged.

Upvote 0
A pollution?

You know what's funny?

Languages are made by man, man invented languages.

Man made up those words, then deemed them "bad."

It's the same as making an apple pie then taking it out of the stove and saying "no, you must not eat this pie, this pie is baaaad!"

The worlds themselves aren't "bad" they are only bad in which context you see them as bad.

If you replace a "bad" word, with any other word, that that word is the EXCAT same thing as taht "bad' word merely different.

If you like say in BSG, used "frack" in place of the f word, and then everyone else started to use frack as the f word, when does "frack" become bad aswell? Do people suddenly deem it a bad word and then you can no longer say frack?

Would people just constantly make words bad, and constantly keep going through "new made up bad words" to filter out the meaning of the old ones? It's nothing more then replacing the cycle.

As far as the game goes, I'd really like a filter, as I see most servers are going for the "family friendly" (self-censor) route.

Have a filter on by default and be able to turn it off. Let those that swear swear and those that don't keep their eyes from seeing those "bad" letters on their screen.

I am not askin to swear like a sailor, to over-use it, to sound like Sgt. Gunney from Full metal jacket. However it'd be nice if when certain situations called for it I could let out a simple "word" and not have to feel like I have to watch my mouth, in a game where people are killing other people...seems a bit obtuse to me.

"Killing, A-ok, here's your gun and bullets"
"bad laungauge? nooooo, I'll ban you"

Though if there's no filter and all the servers "ban" people for just usin sparse "bad" words from time to time I'll keep my mouth shut and respect the rules, because I'd still like to play the game moreso.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nyu said:
No. The facts and memories will continue to get blurry and misconstrued as time goes on but that was a war which was started by one the most evil regimes in history. Thousands of photographs, video footage, books, etc. have documented the war and the pre-War Nazi period and centuries from now people will continue to look in interest in that time period just as certain historians are interested in ages well before the modern era. I seriously doubt us humans won't let ourselves forget.

We can only hope that it is not forgotten. All I am saying is that being aware of the reality gets more difficult if you are deliberately snuffing out anything having to do with the subject, like the symbology.

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
This is such an incredibly stupid idea that I puked in my mouth. You have to be immature to even suggest such an idiotic addition. Cmon, for christ sakes lets just replace the bullets with airsoft pellets to not offend the squeamish. My God.
Actually I usually play with the blood off. I enjoy the tactical and individual skill involved in the game but not particularly the violence. Besides, if my kids come in while I'm playing, I really don't want to have to deal with their distress at seing people get splattered.

It's just like the "don't be mean to new players" issue - as a very wise person once said to me, "there's never any need to be a ****wit". Having a language filter available or even enforcing polite conduct doesn't take anything AWAY from anyone's experience but it goes a long way towards making some people more comfortable, and that IMO is worth doing.

Regards

Upvote 0
It takes away from my experience. I dont care how shallow you think i am but i like to curse and often. I dont want my game polluted with friendly talk. Once again this is a wargame stop trying to make it a clean friendly hippie convention.

Just as in sports, online games are a competitive experience and trash talk and cursing are part of that even in friendly pub games. This is an M rated game, how about you people act like M rated adults.

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
It takes away from my experience. I dont care how shallow you think i am but i like to curse and often. I dont want my game polluted with friendly talk. Once again this is a wargame stop trying to make it a clean friendly hippie convention.

I guess that's the problem. If other people don't want curses, then curses would "pollute" their game.

If the devs have time, I don't see why they couldn't incorporate a client side filter.

If you want your curses, keep the filter off.

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
I see no problem w/ that Mormegil. I just think this is such a trivial thing and the devs have far better things to worry about.

I agree. That's why to me, it's a whole "If the devs have time" (which I doubt they do right now).

BTW: The main reason I kept the blood on is for visual confirmation of a hit. I'm curious how this will be in places like Germany, where I think there's a ban on blood (unless it's green or something).

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
I dont want my game polluted with friendly talk. Once again this is a wargame stop trying to make it a clean friendly hippie convention.
It is a game, and in games it is common with rules for fair play. God forbid having a friendly chat with people in between shooting them in the groin. :)

I am not a phanatic about not having swearing online, but i will not tolerate being abused from some p*** at the other end.

Upvote 0
I am strictly against any form of censorship. If someone yells at me, I either don't take it seriously or ignore it. If I have the urge to reply, I do it in a civilized manner, and worst case, I kick ban him. But I don't want any form of censorship on my chat. Also, a wordfilter will just lead to even more annyoing word creations which bypass it, like phuk, kont, sh!t, etc...

So why even bother?

Upvote 0
Stiler said:
Did you just censor the word Punk?
No, he used word "p****"...
I personally don't like abusive language. When playing CoD2 online I hang around 82ndDiv server because admins there keep order and kick everyone using curses or behaving in harsh way (sorry for CoD2 example).
But... I would like to have it server option or even leave it to server admins. It always work better and does not allow bypassess as [-project.rattus-] mentioned.

Upvote 0
Ghadafi said:
Ah, but isnt kick/ban cencorship good as any?

No, it is not.. that would be removing an individual who cannot adapt to the behavior I would wan't to enforce on my server. Also, I said it would be a "worst case scenario", where someone deliberately attacks one person and I notice that that person can't cope with it or defend himself. After all, gaming should be enjoyable for all involved.

But I don't like censorship and I do not have anything against the occasional 4-letter-word, be it in anger, in fun or just affectional (allthough I rather scream it than type it...). Also, it makes normal conversation a hassle, because either one word has two meanings, and is in the filter for the worse one (like dick = penis/ dick = first name) or becasue it has a totally different meaning in another language (dick = penis in english / dick = fat, chubby, overweight in german)...

And to those arguing that they need this, so their children don't see it: Firstly, the kids should not be playing a game like RO anyway. Secondly, they learn their swearwords anyway, much sooner than all of you think, from different sources (siblings, friends, etc...)

Upvote 0
You'll note I never suggested my kids would be playing RO. Just that they might come in while I'm playing.

If folks are so keen on making the RO experience as unpleasant as possible, just because "it's close to real war", why not go join an Ultimate Fighting Comp and get your 'kicks' that way? It'll fill all your desires for trash talking, realism, and unpleasantness at once: :)

I have a foul enough mouth myself that a bit of swearing really doesn't bother me. But not swearing doesn't bother me either - except I have to think of different words to use if I TK by accident ;)

Racist abuse, which I have seen once in RO and a few times in other games, that's a different story. I'd happily see anyone who engages in that behaviour banned permanently from all public servers.

Regards

Upvote 0