• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sniper teams and MG teams.

Nicholas

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
What if these classes had teams, like for a machine gunner there would be a loader who could belt feed the gun and carry extra ammo, and for snipers there could be a sniper-spotter team, a sniper with a scoped bolt action, and a spotter with binoculars and either another scoped bolt action, a scoped semi, or just a regular non sniper gun. (I think it varied in real life, maybe giving them an SMG would be bad though)

I think this would be a good idea, but whats important is do you guys think it would work? I mean tanks are supposed to work in teams.

Nicholas, it's a realistic idea. Unfortuantely, realism and playability don't always mesh in a game format.

I would bet many purists who would like to emphasize "teamplay", would balk at having to serve as a MG loader or just a sniper's spotter. Ideas for *good* realism only goes so far before players start bailing out because they're not having fun.

Upvote 0
Nicholas, it's a realistic idea. Unfortuantely, realism and playability don't always mesh in a game format.

I would bet many purists who would like to emphasize "teamplay", would balk at having to serve as a MG loader or just a sniper's spotter. Ideas for *good* realism only goes so far before players start bailing out because they're not having fun.

Yeah, maybe its taking it to overboard, it would be like having to be a loader on a tank, but maybe they could have an option where you could load for an MG gunner as a riflemen if you wanted to, and I think they should give snipers binoculars anyway if its historically accurate.

Upvote 0
The MG resupply idea is good (they do this in FPS games, but your dedicated MG loader for resupply would be more accurate).

TWI could have a dedicated AI ammo runner doing this task in the games too (as an alternative idea).

Binocs for snipers could/should certainly be in (better yet "trench periscopes"). Historically accurate too, but then so many players get disturbed by being sniped, so bestowing even greater assets to the marksmen just stirs the pot even more.

I'd say stir baby stir!

Upvote 0
Reasonable suggestions - but...

They aren't snipers, only designated squad marksmen. So they wouldn't have one.

And the MG things whilst realistic are difficult to make fun.

Really, I didn't think they had designated marksmen back then, I thought that was a modern thing. Will there be both marksman AND snipers then, maybe snipers will be the "elite" one?

Upvote 0
Yeah, maybe its taking it to overboard, it would be like having to be a loader on a tank, but maybe they could have an option where you could load for an MG gunner as a riflemen if you wanted to, and I think they should give snipers binoculars anyway if its historically accurate.

I like this idea, if a mate of my has an mg, i can stay with him and load it for him.

Upvote 0
As far as we know the squad marksman will be the only sniper, there are no plans for the "sniper" class as we think about it traditionally.

Basically not a sniper in the sense that he's crawling around in the grass for 3 days and assassinating a single guy, he's taking part in a battle and just shooting guys at long range, which makes him a marksman or sharpshooter.

Upvote 0
And for eveyr kill he gets you get as many points, that would make people want to do it!

Indeed! Maybe you could 'apply' to the MG gunner to help him? So you get the points and that you can get extra ammo from a crate? Maybe an animation that you run around with ammo boxes and your kar98 on your back? And if you run into an enemy you have to drop the ammo boxes and switch to your kar98, kill the enemy and than pick the ammo boxes up again?

Upvote 0
I'm not really sure how this worked in real life, but the MG classes as presented in RO are LMGs that are integral to the squad. I'm not sure if these had dedicated loaders/ammo suppliers, or if those roles were just taken care of by whichever squad mate happened to be nearby.

Medium machine guns (ie. those with a tripod mount) were definitely dedicated teams. But the squad-integral machine gun is a light machine gun, with just a bipod. My understanding was that that MG had ammo carried by several squad members and was just supplied and assisted as needed.

If we had true MMG teams, then it would be great to have a loader, who could carry the tripod and extra ammo, etc.

As for sniper assistants, it's already been covere that they're marksman, not snipers.

Upvote 0
Reasonable suggestions - but...

They aren't snipers, only designated squad marksmen. So they wouldn't have one.

And the MG things whilst realistic are difficult to make fun.

You do realize that Russia had actual sniper schools in WW2 right?

Sniper teams were also used. Here is an example.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3361/3545135499_99d1def563.jpg

The Germans had sniper schools as well, and they used teams too.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/325686-2/K98_ss_sniper-742x501

I for one don't think this would fit in HoS, due to previously stated points, but it's completely accurate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You do realize that Russia had actual sniper schools in WW2 right? [..]

Here we go again...I though this "everlasting sniper debate/jabber" would be over, but I was obviously wrong...

Mauser, you are just completely missing the point and failing to understanding, what SheepDip is actually saying. Sure, they had snipers, but snipers were not operating inside a rifle platoon/rifle squad as integral part of those. For example in the RKKA snipers were often subordinated to company and platoon level, but they still (ofcourse not without an exeption) operated as snipers, and did not become an integral part of the company/platoon/squad. So the company commander/platoon leader used them as snipers, not as "designated marksmen". Since othervise it would have been just waste of resources.

And to the main point, to have a soldier with a scoped rifle as integral part of rifle squad is perfectly realistic for both, Soviets and Germans. No question about that. But they are not snipers. That is the point. They are just ordinary soldiers (best shots of the squad) with scoped rifles to increase effective range of the squad

Last edited:
Reactions: SheepDip
Upvote 0