• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gunslinger Perk - Yes or No?

Gunslinger Perk - Yes or No?

• Total voters
I did read a bit (not all 35 pages, sorry, I have a life), and based on what I read I came to the conclusion that the perk wouldn't add anything significant enough to gameplay to make the time put into development worth it.

I think you over-estimate how difficult it would be to develop a perk given 2/3 of the suggested weapons already exist in game...

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafmute
I did read a bit (not all 35 pages, sorry, I have a life), and based on what I read I came to the conclusion that the perk wouldn't add anything significant enough to gameplay to make the time put into development worth it.

I think you over-estimate how difficult it would be to develop a perk given 2/3 of the suggested weapons already exist in game...
The perk itself is just a block of code, someone who is proficient at Uscript could probably throw it together in a few days to a week. There is already 2 official TWI weapons the perk could use, and people have already posted images that could be used for perk icons. The framework is already there if there is interest in the perk, the only things remains is if TWI approves or disapproves its time worth.

Upvote 0
I just really don't see the point. Everyone who wants the Gunslinger can come up with a million reasons why it should be in the game but the fact is everything Gunslinger could do is already covered by an existing class.

And that's whats so awesome about it.

Every perk can do what the Gunslinger can do, yes, and they can do it better too.

BUT. The Gunslinger is the only one that can do all of those at "the same time" (just switch weapons, and you switch your proficiency).

That's why I advertise it as a versatile perk. It'd be even more than the SS is right now if done right. But of course, it'll be weaker than the specific perks.

Upvote 0
And that's whats so awesome about it.

Every perk can do what the Gunslinger can do, yes, and they can do it better too.

BUT. The Gunslinger is the only one that can do all of those at "the same time" (just switch weapons, and you switch your proficiency).

That's why I advertise it as a versatile perk. It'd be even more than the SS is right now if done right. But of course, it'll be weaker than the specific perks.

I don't see what's so awesome about that...

I'll stick with my assault rifles, thanks. As long as it doesn't imbalance things I won't complain if the perk is added (although I still find it a bit pointless) but it'll be no loss if it isn't, either.

Upvote 0
I support this idea,

But to not throw Sharpshooter in the trash, you guys can add more Semi-Auto and Sniper Rifles to fill Sharpshooter, like a L96 or a L1A1

And more handguns, like a Colt Python or a USP

No need for adding even more weapons. Not only is this more work for the devs, but it's useless.

The SS already has three weapons - LAR, Crossbow and M14 - as is with almost any perk (support, commando, demolitions). All is needed is reajusting those weapon's weight so he isn't limited to LAR/M14 loadout. This re-weighting has been suggested, and consists in increasing the M14's weight by 1, and reducing the LAR and Crossbow weight by 1. By doing so, the SS can wield LAR and Crossbow, or LAR and M14, but not Crossbow/M14 since that would make him virtually untouchable.

And for the handguns you suggested. If those are destined to the gunslinger, then it'd be useless since they'd do the same job the current handguns provide. If they're targeted to be SS weapons, then it'd go against 25% of this perk's purpose, which is removing hangun proficiency from SS, because that's among the reasons it is so overpowered.

But thanks for the support! =D

Upvote 0
Hi

Hi

I support this suggestion and I think the bonus in zedtime is a great idea. However I think it would be awesome if the gunslinger gets also higher sensitivity bonus, faster shooting bonus (triggerfinger) and maybe less recoil in zedtime, this would look cool and make gunslinger more different from other perks because of the bigger advantage in zedtime.

I'm sorry if this has been suggested before/this was stupid idea.

Upvote 0
I've pretty much read over everything in this topic from the very first post, and I completely support the addition of this perk.

I will say that I am still skeptical when it comes to the damage bonus during zed-time. It isn't a balance issue related to becoming too powerful; quite the contrary, it's a balance issue regarding whether or not the perk should have to rely on almost completely random events (the initiation of zed-time) in order to be an effective killer rather than having an ability that would increase their effectiveness more passively.

So long as the perk is useful all the time, not just when zed-time is going on, I am perfectly fine with that unique ability; it does definitely sound interesting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No need for adding even more weapons. Not only is this more work for the devs, but it's useless.

Perhaps, TWI could give make a competition of some kind for modellers to make weapons. Then a competetition for animators/coders to animate/code the weapons. Then TWI walks in, takes the finished (or close enough) product and adds it into the game.

I have heard that TWI is releasing animations and the like to be used in the SDK, so something like this would not only mean more weapons but lighter work for the devs.

There is always a solution, if you're willing to wait long enough for it. :)

Upvote 0
I don't have anything to add to weapon suggestions as we're pretty much have it covered. Raging Bull for tier 3!

As for perk ability, I think some kind if ZED time linked ability is pretty cool. However flat out massive damage increase during ZED time seems pretty lame, seen as gunslinger should already have respectable damage modifier outside of ZED time. Someone said something about "what happen if ZED time happen and GS is reloading?" earlier, which give me an idea:

Sleight of hand - because Gunslinger is skilled with pistols, he can sometimes reload them impossibly fast in the middle of combat when his mind is focused.

Start from level 0, everytime a ZED time start, if Gunslinger is holding any pistol and they're not fully loaded, he spins it in his hand and it's reloaded. Takes about a second (in ZED time) to spin, the gunslinger can then be certain to have 2 second window to spam his guns. This also triggers for any ZED time extensions.

For each level up, Gunslinger increases the length of ZED time by 10%. So 6 level 6 Gunslinger will increase each ZED time to a wooping 13.8 seconds maximum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't have anything to add to weapon suggestions as we're pretty much have it covered. Raging Bull for tier 3!

As for perk ability, I think some kind if ZED time linked ability is pretty cool. However flat out massive damage increase during ZED time seems pretty lame, seen as gunslinger should already have respectable damage modifier outside of ZED time. Someone said something about "what happen if ZED time happen and GS is reloading?" earlier, which give me an idea:

Sleight of hand - because Gunslinger is skilled with pistols, he can sometimes reload them impossibly fast in the middle of combat when his mind is focused.

Start from level 0, everytime a ZED time start, if Gunslinger is holding any pistol and they're not fully loaded, he spins it in his hand and it's reloaded. Takes about a second (in ZED time) to spin, the gunslinger can then be certain to have 2 second window to spam his guns. This also triggers for any ZED time extensions.

For each level up, Gunslinger increases the length of ZED time by 10%. So 6 level 6 Gunslinger will increase each ZED time to a wooping 13.8 seconds maximum.

And seriously, why can none of that just be replaced with a "reload faster" clause without the need for a gimmicky reload script that is almost certainly going to cause more problems getting to work smoothly than its worth?

Upvote 0
I quite like the idea. I haven't read everything, just a couple of pages.
Some of my ideas to throw in the pot that's already overflown :p

Gunslinger = Sharpshooter - I've read notions of gunslingers bieng watered down sharpshooters. This could be the case, but if the class has other pro's and contras it does not need to be I think.

I also personally have no problem with overlapping abilities, in fact I'dd like to see more of it. If the sharp and gunslinger are both good with handweapons then I have no problem with that.

I like the idea that you have the freedom to approach a problem any way you like. This is something that bugs me in some class based shooters, where the class distinctions are so pronounced you are forced to play a certain way.

The difference to me is:

* That sharpshooters tend to be more of a supportive role, they tend to be in the middleground of backline with their long range weapons.
Ofcourse players are breaking this "rule" all the time, but that's the case with any class.

* Sharpshooters tend to carry heavy gear, making them slower
If there was to be a gunslinger class, I would like it to be lightweight and fast, kind of like a beserker with guns. This would place the class inbetween the sharpshooter and support/commando. A more minimalist fighter.

* Special abilities
- Detonating grandes by shooting them - perhaps even midair, tough this might be too outlandish.
- Faster walking speed and reload? Not necesarily very powerfull: agility and reliability are more important then making heavy hits.
- Discounts are not needed I think, as the weapons tend to be cheap to begin with I think, making them even more cheap might lead to 'abuse' of this class at the start of the game.
- Instant headshot ability for very closeby clots and stalkers. Pushing the gun to the forehead, kind of brutal :p

* For what kind of players? The ones that like to move around freely and agile and do not mind giving up some of the firepower. Tough this class would give them the advantage of special abilities specifically for this style of play. Much like the beserker is with melee weapons.

*Pitfalls: should not overpower beserker or support.

Just wanted to say that I personally love playing with handguns, so I'm biased :p

Upvote 0
To me, this seems a bit of a 'because we can' perk, why use sidearms as your main weapon anyhow?

Because sidearms can fulfill different, varied purposes while keeping their man advantages (handling & low weight).

We can have powerful hitters and small, fast-firing weapons, bot having the same design overall and without any difference from one to another. Just take the Deagle/M9 example. If you look past the size factor, they're both identical. They work the same, reload the same, behave the same.

Thus justifying the versatility of this perk.

Upvote 0