• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Hetzer [WIP]

AXEL

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2008
Just thought I'd let everyone take a look at my little hetzer's progress. This is also open to criticism as it is my first rendering, and any pointers would be nice :D

hetzer4.jpg

hetzer3.jpg

hetzer2.jpg

anyone have any idea what i should do next with it?:confused:

Start with the main components (wheels, gun, etc.) and work your way down to the small details; attack the mesh as a whole, it works for me atleast.

BTW, are you using your reference schematics as the viewport background? You may want to map them on planes, and freeze them. Zooming and panning around the viewport may screw up the placement/size of the reference images if they are being used as the background.

To make life easier, convert the canvas size of the reference schematics to a square, and map them on a square plane, so that you don't have to worry about stretching issues.

Upvote 0
anyone have any idea what i should do next with it?:confused:

First of all you have to make a proper drawing setup. Check the images of my first post in VW82 thread. You will need at least front-, side- and top-view. Better one view of each side, so additional left, right and rear views will help.

I don't know anything about Maya but I imagine that things are equal to 3dsmax. So after you've collected all drawings together you have to bring them all to an equal size. Build planes for each right, left, top, front and rear view and texture them with matching images. Proper drawing setup should be the first job to make exact models.

Upvote 0
well i'm using gmax as of current. And for the screen shot I just made the perspective view the overall view. I have no idea why the top view was thrown in there because it isn't in the normal perspective view. I do have a top,left side,front view as well with correctly proportioned images of the corresponding parts of the hetzer, so it is all to scale and the correct shape and whatnot. Now for the wheels and the gun, I can just assemble it away from the tank then attach it, correcto mundo?

Upvote 0
Yeah, but it isn't their top priority. I think it has been pigeonholed for the time being.

If this guy get's it done and does a good job he can probably donate it to DH, and they will be able to help him iron out the bugs, also some very good Renderers and Texturers there who could give him help and assistance. Also get the Hetzer in DH quicker.

Upvote 0
Any news on the model?

haven't made much progress recently (been playing too much video games :D)

i did just get semi-done knocing out a saukopf in about 15 minutes, still needs some beautification though

saukopf3.jpg

saukopf2.jpg

Saukopf1.jpg

i'm currently pestering a few people as well to get some help to finish this thing, its been sitting on my plate too long. I want to move on to a heavier tank, like the Jagdpanzer IV.

I haven't really given the idea of letting DH use it much thought because I was working on it before it came out, but since the release I don't see a big problem letting them use it. I would like to release it and test it in RO first.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Way too much mesh-triangles for the Saukopfblende and barrel. Must be thousand or even more? Try to build the barrel with 12 or 16 edges. The other thing can be done with about 200 triangles.

Make proper smoothing groups. The earlier to learn about them the better. Bad or unsmoothed models we already have enough in game ;)

I've made a quick barrel with 16 edges and it has 80 mesh triangles:
barrel00zy6.jpg

Note that on its back side all inside edges are melted to one vertice.
barrel01om8.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0