YouTube - Killing Floor - 1015 Beta Patch 4 - Machete and LAW Combo on Suicidal
The LAW damage increase is pretty nice as you can now 1 shot scrakes on solo suicidal without using the demo perk. Still, the main drawback of the LAW is that it leaves no room for a suitable backup weapon unless you are a support specialist. While having rockets that can do ~2920 damage per shot is nice, unless you are playing on farm, west london, or wyre, space will be a concern as you will need to fight in close quarters at times or move some distance away to get a clear shot. For that reason, LAW users may want to consider using other perks such as:
- Support - Can carry the pump shotgun, which has good penetration, to defend himself at close range.
- Berserker - Level 6 weapon bonuses allow the machete to be a serviceable weapon. Melee movement bonus lets the zerker put distance between himself and the mob in order to get a clean shot. Damage resistance reduce the cost of any mishaps.
- Medic- Same reasoning with speed bonus and superior armor though the medic's speed boost is an overall boost and not restricted by melee weapons.
- Sharpshooter - 9mm is a beast in the hands of a shooter and more powerful than a commando perked AK on head shots with near instant reload. Note that the sharpshooter's head shot bonus doesn't apply to the LAW since DamTypeLAW.bCheckForHeadShots == false.
Of course, the tight space can also work to your advantage as the specimens will be bunched tightly together allowing you to kill a score of them with 1 rocket.
Without the demo damage bonus, the LAW can deal ~1825 damage and the blast radius, despite the decrease, is capable of wiping out 15 or so specimens in 1 shot. In the end, it comes down to whether or not you want to trade CQC capability for more powerful rockets, 1.6x more powerful that is.
Numbers for the 9mm (35 base damage) with level 6 SS perk (+60% base damage, +50% head shot damage, +60% faster reloading):
- 35 * 1.6 = 56 damage/shot [SCAR base damage was 57, now bumped to 67]
- 35 * 1.6 * 1.5 * 1.1 = 92.4 damage/head shot
- 2.0 sec/reload * 0.4 = 0.8 sec/reload [SCAR base reload rate is 2.966]