• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Ponyri Beta 3

Imho name can stay as it is, which RO map is historically correct to the bone like you demand it? Shall they also be renamed therefore?

Nah.... most all the maps adhere to trueness to a large degree... This one however is "off the charts" for inaccuracy... the school house was farther way from the Station and especially farther away from the Tractor Works, the train tracks ran from the station out of the area with a full shuttle to the tractor works. There is a river missing, a few farms, barns, hills and homes missing and the actual distances are nowhere near correct. All one need do is look over the maps of the area in that time period. Of course, the loadout is a joke. Its a typical, "sandbox foot soldier skirmish" map and nothing more.

But its all good... leave the poor thing called Ponyri... everytime we look at that name we can think of this stunning map. I don't have to play the map So truly, its all good. In fact, on second thoughts, who cares? :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The lighting is what catches the mood of the map. No way will I change that.

I bet if I left the tank in mike wouldn't be on another one of his crusades against the mappers. You want everything historically accurate and on a 1:1 scale? Learn how to map and clear you calander for the next year. Further more mappers cannot cater to everyones tastes or make every little detail historically accurate without killing the game play of a map.

Upvote 0
The lighting is what catches the mood of the map. No way will I change that.

I bet if I left the tank in mike wouldn't be on another one of his crusades against the mappers. You want everything historically accurate and on a 1:1 scale? Learn how to map and clear you calander for the next year. Further more mappers cannot cater to everyones tastes or make every little detail historically accurate without killing the game play of a map.

Crusades?? Surely you jest. I've supported mappers form the very early days of CoD,'Till right now today with Servers and beta testing. How dare you insinuate other-wise. I am not a history accuracy zealot by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I've said many times as long as the architecture, uniforms and terrain are "like it was" the weapons, loadout, gameplay and scenario can enjoy "creative liberties" - my exact words.

I didn't and am not asking for nit picking details.... sport. You have RAPED the Battle of Ponyri, plain and simple!! What gameplay?? There is none, there was none, unless you wanted to call coming up out of the German trenches to get killed by artillery a "fun" map. But that's neither here nor there.

This is simply put not a map about, of or even near the Battle of Ponyri, Ponyri Station and/or Hill235.. but as you say, its your map... have fun.

I offered sincere critiques at which you took some sort of personal offense. How many OTHER of your MAPS have I aggressively supported and kept in our server's rotation against the wishes of many others because of your creative abilities? You have a very short, thankless memory. I would never ask anything of a mapper that would be detrimental or selfish.

Upvote 0
Must admit when i first saw someone was making this map my initial thougths threw me back to CoDUO and the map of ponyri on there ..... Tanks, Infantry .... nice combined layout.

When we installed and played on our server i was suprised at how it looked nothing like the layout from CoDUO. as iam not a "MoD" player and only know what ponyri looks like from CoDUO which is right ? UO or Ro ? or is this just a mappers artistic license ??

Just curious. :D

Upvote 0
Dude why dont you learn how to map & make a map thats 'historically accurate' as a tribute to the real Ponyri then?
We can't, there already is a map called Ponyri.

Just give some good arguments why you shouldn't make it a historcal accurate map when you give it a name after that battle?

How about a map about the battle of kursk (called Kursk) without any tanks, how about a map called Berlin where you have to fight in a big grain field with T60's on both sides.
Sounds stupid? It is.

Upvote 0
I meant real photographs, like aerial reconnaissance. Hand drawn maps do help with the positioning of the objectives, but not what the actual ruins/buildings looked like.

I'm a bit confused. Under the Ponyri thread in level design, you were given pictures posted of villages, ruins, tanks, the schoolhouse, a picture of the possible train station, maps, layouts, and even pictures of COD version that alot of people have enjoyed. You were given alot from the community. Did you forget about these?

All of that great info seems to have been ignored. I don't think you can say you have a "dilemma" about information.

Upvote 0
(Looking at this in practice mode while roaming)

A couple of quick comments before I continue.

It seems to me that the Hill Objective just is too close to the rest of the town. Probably too late to increase the distance in the map at this point. BUT, if you decided to, I would increase the height of the hill a bit and put 50-100 meters extra distance between it and the town.

As the Germans were more or less attacking from the North to South, would it be possible to orient the map that way, specifically the overhead map? (I personally usually look at a map with North being up :D )

I seem to get mostly great fps on this map. Perhaps adding some bushes and more ground texture (some tall grass tufts) later on before final wil enhance the maps realism. Right now you have flat grass textures and just trees, bushes would be nice.

------------------------------

OK and now specifically looking at the Schoolhouse and the Town:
- Same comment about the dead trees I made before applies here. Knock over a few of the dead ones and maybe have a fully leaved one survive somewhere in the town area.
- With the exception of the Schoolhouse, all the other buildings are ruins. I would suggest maybe one or two of those just be partial ruins. Would possibly add more dimension to the infantry fighting in this area.
- The road thru the town looks barely used. Perhaps a darker, more rocky looking texture as it runs in that area.

More comments in a later post.

Upvote 0