• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Quietus

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
California
I'd like to get a Radeon X1300 to replace my eternally struggling Geforce FX5500. I've never had an ATI card before and I'd like to know if they have software similar to Nvidias "Display optimization wizard" where it guides you through setting proper contrast, brightness, and RBG gamma levels. Basically "monitor calibration wizard" software.

Your mobo doesn't have a pci-e or agp slot... getting the x1300 sounds like a temp fix to me. Face it, you need to upgrade, badly.
I'm so used to not running games on max settings it doesn't even bother me anymore really. An "upgrade" would basically mean get a whole new computer which I'm not willing to do. Just because there's new tech out there doesn't automatically deem old tech worthless. They just want people to believe that otherwise why would anyone upgrade? I've heard many many people state that PCI express (16x) is complete overkill in almost all cases. Almost no video card currently out there can max out it's bandwidth. Even most "hardcore" gamers could probably get by with AGP 8x pefectly fine with blazing framerates & everything cranked but since it's "old" it somehow transforms into utter ****. Alot of hype IMO.

Look at this article: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/pci_express_performance/then realize that AGP is basically the same as PCI express(8x). Kinda funny. {bell toller} *ding ding* "AGP'rs upgrade today! Your systems are now obsolete and of little use! The end of your gaming life approaches!" Course PCI is worse than AGP but like I said it gets me by acceptably.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes it'll have the same stuff.
Ok, so you're confirming about the "monitor calibration wizard" I take it?

But if your playing RO, don't expect the card to do anything. It's all CPU.
Very true. All those bullet calculations I think are the main reason why. Other games use the standard "hit scan" for bullets which I've heard is far less demanding. As far a new card not helping I know for sure it will (even in RO) mainly because my FX5500 has a 64bit memory bus while the X1300 has 128bit memory bus in addition to higher clock speeds. About the CPU: Actually I started overclocking my CPU (2.66Ghz P4) to wring out as much performance as I can. Right now I've got it up to 2.76Ghz and I'm slowly taking it up till I find out where it's limit is. I've already noticed a performance increase just from that little bit of overclock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are low end, medium end and high end cards.

The FX5200 would be the low end, the FX5700 would be medium end, the fx5900 the high end.

SO I am guessing you're fx is in between low and med

The X1300 is a low end card.

I STRONGLY suggest putting in 60$ more and get a Powercolor X1650Pro...
They run VERY Well and should go for about 100$.

Yet, for a weekend gamer, a recent low end card does do the trick...
I just don't see much performance gain by jumping from a low/med card to next gen low end card.

(Edit... sorry the previous post has valid points... I didnt really look much into the technical)

Upvote 0
I'm so used to not running games on max settings it doesn't even bother me anymore really. An "upgrade" would basically mean get a whole new computer which I'm not willing to do. Just because there's new tech out there doesn't automatically deem old tech worthless. They just want people to believe that otherwise why would anyone upgrade? I've heard many many people state that PCI express (16x) is complete overkill in almost all cases. Almost no video card currently out there can max out it's bandwidth. Even most "hardcore" gamers could probably get by with AGP 8x pefectly fine with blazing framerates & everything cranked but since it's "old" it somehow transforms into utter ****. Alot of hype IMO.

Look at this article: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/pci_express_performance/then realize that AGP is basically the same as PCI express(8x). Kinda funny. {bell toller} *ding ding* "AGP'rs upgrade today! Your systems are now obsolete and of little use! The end of your gaming life approaches!" Course PCI is worse than AGP but like I said it gets me by acceptably.
I didn't say you needed the best system money could buy. If you want to play any new games coming out this year or the next, your going to have to upgrade. Though if RO is all you feel like playing, then a x1300 will somewhat helpful in the fps department. I'm just trying to help people make good financial decisions when it comes to upgrades, no need to jump on my throat. I know that for the most part the 16 lanes of the PCI-e slot aren't going to be used to the max unless your running in insanely high resolution with every image quality setting set to the max. I in fact, have a mobo with an AGP slot and had a thread a couple months ago where I was wondering if I should upgrade my video card (I didn't, I'm saving up for the "big one"). I quickly realized that wasn't the problem, its the cpu. A 3.0 ghz P4 is still not enough to make RO run above 30 fps constantly. So really your going to need to upgrade your cpu. But whats the point in wasting all this time and money when you might as well go the extra step an go for a full upgrade? Though if you like playing RO with crappy to decent framerates, ugly graphics, etc. be my guest, just don't flip out and think people are telling you to upgrade just because they are easily seduced by higher image quality and fps.

Upvote 0
If it is just for RO, It is not worth getting a slightly better videocard, specially if it is AGP.

AGP's fastest cards are RadeonX850's...
Not much AGP Chipsets have CPU's that can bottleneck that videocard.
(Unless you have a nice 742pin Athlon64 Clawhammer with 1024 of l2 cash:D )

So not mather what, AGP is dying, and agp compatible cards are more expensive.

Milk that joyful P4... save and get an Intel or Amd with the latest Chipset available.
A decent AthlonX2 or C2D and a mid range videocard will set you for 2 years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Really for my needs a X1300 will be fine. All I play is RO. I don't run in insane resolutions or crank texture resolution to max, AA etc because for the most part it's overkill to me. The difference between medium and high or "extra high" is not great enough to warrant the video card (or whole new system) to run it IMO. "More with less" is my motto. I plan to overclock the X1300 too in addition to my CPU (which I'm estimating I'll be able to take it to around 2.8 or 2.9Ghz) A full upgrade isn't necessary at this point for me. Maybe when (or if) RO2 comes along and demands more I will.

Upvote 0
I have only had ATI and the actual card works very good. My current is an X800 XT. Software works fine also.

I will never buy another ATI for my computer though; for the fact that I have a $50 rebate that has been approved but held up indefinately from ATI's rebate center. This is despite repeated calls, emails etc to them with them not being able to tell me why the rebate check hasn't been sent. Also, they say they are unable to 'expedite' my rebate check. This has been about 20 months.... :mad:

Upvote 0
I have only had ATI and the actual card works very good. My current is an X800 XT. Software works fine also.

I will never buy another ATI for my computer though; for the fact that I have a $50 rebate that has been approved but held up indefinately from ATI's rebate center. This is despite repeated calls, emails etc to them with them not being able to tell me why the rebate check hasn't been sent. Also, they say they are unable to 'expedite' my rebate check. This has been about 20 months.... :mad:

Could very well be part of the acquisition of ATI and their possible masking of certain liabilities such as hundreds if not tens of thousands of rebates. Send a letter to the VP of PR at AMD explaining your predicament - be sure to be brief but offer detailed info.. ;)

Upvote 0
If it is just for RO, It is not worth getting a slightly better videocard, specially if it is AGP.

Milk that joyful P4... save and get an Intel or Amd with the latest Chipset available.

AGP's Fastest cards are the X1950Pro's, not the X850's.

Upvote 0

Actually you're wrong there mate.

You can get x1950 Pro's and XT's for AGP, there are also 7950GT's hitting the market and plans for DX10 cards using AGP as well.

It isn't quite dead yet!

Though people beware, do not buy a Powercolor x1950 AGP, they have inadequate cooling for parts of the board and suffer a lot of issues. I had to RMA my first one because it wouldn't run any 3D app at all without shutting itself down and the second I got ran fine for a time at AGP 4x only and then just upped and died a few days ago, literally the core just died. This was running at stock speeds with what I thought was adequate cooling too.

I have a 7950GT coming in the mail and am not buying ATI again.

Upvote 0