• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Build Error

thegreyrider

Dec 16, 2006
I've been days trying to fiqure this out.
I built a basic level. and it is playable.
However when i try to add Terrain I keep getting this Error.
Failed to enter Autoplay.rom?NumBots=0: Can't find file f
or package 'Field'

Field is the name of the test Package. (ofcourse)

I get this error when I hit the play level button and the game tries to launch
When I open the level again It tells me Error Can't find file "field"
if you save now all will be set to null.

The Grey Rider

I've done some more digging.
I t appears I need to save the textures in the texture browerser.
I guess just name it the same as the Map? Leaving out The" RO_"
and are you saying by using the "My Level" instead of "Field" for the package name I don't have to save it? and yes it's the heightmap and layers.

Thanks for the quick responce.

The Greyrider

Upvote 0
"Mylevel" is a special Package that Saves everything in it inside of the Map you are working on. It is really the best way to Save Custom Content, unless you are working on/in a Modteam where others may need easy access to Custom Content you create. Downloading/Installing a Map which uses "Mylevel" for Custom Content makes it much easier for Players and especially for Noobs.

Any type of Custom Content can be placed in the "mylevel" Package, with one exception, Music Files. Music Files need to be separate from any Package.

Notes:

1) "mylevel" can be spelled in any way: mylevel, MyLevel, MYLEVEL, mYlEvEl are all equally valid and are the same thing

2) to Save the contents of the "mylevel" Package, Save your Map.

3) Important: You must place any Content Imported into the "mylevel" Package into your Map before Closing UEd, even if you Saved the Map. If you do not, UEd will cull unused items from the "mylevel" Package.

4) If you must use a different Package than "mylevel", then Save that Package in the appropriate Browser

5) Important: All your External Packages must have unique names even if they are different Content such as Textures and Sounds. So a Texture Package named "Test" and a Sound Package name "Test" are big No-nos and UEd will throw a fit if you do that. Using TexTest for Textures and AudTest for Sounds would be fine though.

6) Don't put spaces in names and don't Import or Save things to Directories that have spaces in their names, such as in "My Documents". UEd hates spaces and will throw fits.

Upvote 0
Slight addition to what Sandorski said:

mylevel doesn't like complex materials - if your material (for example a shader or final blend) requires more than a single pass then it won't save properly in myLevel and you will have to create and save a new package.

If you're making a custom map, however, don't create seperate packages unless you really have to: people don't like having to d/l seperate packages or put them on their game servers.

Upvote 0
Well, I finally got the terrain to work.:D
Now I have another question.
On some occasion's, when I build A map. My little guy dies as soon as he spawns. when I look at the console. It tells me." someone pushed me off the edge". also the tank I put in blowes up before the map starts. The spawn is in the middle of a large field and is close enough to the ground.
I guess my question is, which one of you are pushing me.:rolleyes:
But really any Ideas?
The Greyrider

Upvote 0
Look in the Side or Front viewport in UEd. You'll see 2 lines that go across the grid(if you zoom out far enough), one is Blue(IIRC) and is the Stallz zone(for flying vehicles, they basically quit rising in that Zone) the other is the Killz zone where everything dies. I suspect your Terrain is below the Killz zone, either raise the Terrain above it or lower the Killz zone(don't recall where to do that.

Another possibility is that you simply need to do a Build All. Adding/Subtracting BSP without Re-Building causes death on Spawn as well.

Upvote 0