• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Camera Bobble

zeroethics

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2006
One of the coolest effects I have seen in next gen previews (for BIA HH, MOH A, dark messiah...) is camera bobble, where the camera is tilting from side to side and bobbing up and down. In RO O the camera does bob up and down ever so slightly. Would it be possible to increase the bob up and down (seems like it was more drastic in the old mod)? Would it be possible to have a diagonal tilt bobble ( there is when you die)? Is this more of an engine limitation or....?

one word: unrealistic
camera bobble is hollywood-style
your brain corrects your view when you run or something like that

one word: realistic
I don't think it's "hollywood" at all, although hollywood has used the technique. Your brain does not correct your vision like that. Go for a run and see what I'm talking about, let alone moving the way you would under combat conditions.
If you've ever seen footage fromn a helmet mounted camera you'd see what I mean.
It was more of a question about engine limitations anyway.

Upvote 0
one word: realistic
I don't think it's "hollywood" at all, although hollywood has used the technique. Your brain does not correct your vision like that. Go for a run and see what I'm talking about, let alone moving the way you would under combat conditions.
If you've ever seen footage fromn a helmet mounted camera you'd see what I mean.
It was more of a question about engine limitations anyway.

Helmet-mounted cameras always look shakier and less stable than my view while running.

Besides, that kind of visual bobbing back and forth motion (without your body actually feeling it) does give people various degrees of motion sickness. Kind of the opposite of most motion sickness, which is where you feel motion but don't see much movement.

Upvote 0
I think our brain also corrects it when we're playing the game.
Hardly...
To re-use my last example:
Read the forum and shake your head while you do. You will see that you can shake your head quite strongly before you lose the ability to read.
Now imagine if the board would flicker in zickzack as strongly as you shook your head. It would be MUCH harder to read.

Upvote 0