• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hip Shooting BOGUS

ok WHY DO PEOPLE FIRE FROM THE HIP YOU ASK?! because the is take a nice 3 seconds to get up and another 3 to put down. i have some guns, it dosent take that stinkin long, but in short, its better to just start shootin then to actually aim..
Yeah I think the time it takes to go to the sights should be decreased and be based on the weight and cumbersomeness of your gun (e.g. M38 faster than M91/30)

Upvote 0
Hipshooting vs irl

Hipshooting vs irl

well I wouldnt try the hipshooting in life especially 50 feet away against an enemy behind cover..Irl u would be dead. But if ppl get pissed at hipshooting in RO u should Try a Game called Americasarmy(AA) its free to download so try that out hipshooting is pretty hard there even though they have crosshairs:)
ive been playing Ro for about sixmonths and the hipshooting still pisses me of..'
Mind u not at close range. But at middle range because no one that has done anykind of millitary trianing would even think about trying it Irl. Becuse u would be very dead if your foe was aiming at u with an rifle or ak of any brand.
and yes i takes some gaming skills to learn how to hipshot. But in reallity no sane man would use it.
Best regards
Kozuth

Upvote 0
I'm not confident with the current system either.

With semiauto rifles or smgs it's most of the time more effective too shot from the hip instead of using ironsigths. That is not only the case at close range, but also at mid range.

Also with rifles I find hip shooting at least at close range more effective.

This is not true. Some people are good at knowing where that bullet goes, but any more than one shot goes all over and you are either just lucky or getting them with teh spray. Some people I"m sure even put little dots on thier monitors where their "center" is LOL. It is always more accurate to pull up iron sights unless you are in a panic shot situation and face to face.

First you can switch between weapons too fast (also position switch in vehicles). So nades and PAKs can be used gamey like and not relistically. Second the weapon is positioned always centered when not using ironsigths. Which makes is comparable to having a virtual cross-hair at least at close distances. Third there is no momentum while rotating the body. So you can incredibly fast turn in every direction and so act faster as it would be possible in reality.

There is a delay between weapons for the most part. Try switching to a grenade from your rifle, priming it and throwing it, especially when walking or running. It can seem to take forever. As for rifle to pistol, it's pretty fast, but it does not take that long in real life to pull a pistol from a holster and flip your rifle around on your back at the same time (remember you are not just holding it, but it is attached with a strap).
As for turning your body...just stand up and turn fast, the game is almost too slow. In real life, you can turn and face multiple directions and be aware of more of your surroundings MUCH faster than in game, and I don't know about you, but for me, when my body turns and stops I am not carried continually around by my own momentum. If the human body could not overcome the momentum of it's own movement that would really put a damper on sports like Soccer or Football or Hockey or Tennis. They have done a good job.
I do however agree with the switching between vehicle seats being instant and unrealistic.

Upvote 0
There is a delay between weapons for the most part. Try switching to a grenade from your rifle, priming it and throwing it, especially when walking or running. It can seem to take forever. As for rifle to pistol, it's pretty fast, but it does not take that long in real life to pull a pistol from a holster and flip your rifle around on your back at the same time (remember you are not just holding it, but it is attached with a strap).

I just stopped the weapon switching time from a some weapons:

It takes about 0,9 sec to switch from whatever weapon to MP44

and further:
0,9 sec for Pistols
0,8 sec for Russian PPSh41
0,7 sec to F1 Grenade
1,7 sec for Stiehlhandgranate
1,2 sec for PAK

These values are not 100% accurate but they are pretty close.

Of course you need further iron sights for rifles and PAKs for accurate shooting. Also you have to cook and throw grenades.

But still within this time you shouldered your actual weapon and switched to another one. In case of rifles, smgs and pistols you can immideately use them. And they are already in a perfect position for accurate hipshooting.

A well it doesn't matter what you are actual doing like running, standing or lieing.

As for turning your body...just stand up and turn fast, the game is almost too slow. In real life, you can turn and face multiple directions and be aware of more of your surroundings MUCH faster than in game, and I don't know about you, but for me, when my body turns and stops I am not carried continually around by my own momentum. If the human body could not overcome the momentum of it's own movement that would really put a damper on sports like Soccer or Football or Hockey or Tennis.

True for only moving your body.

But if you use a weapon you must after rotating or turning balance it out for accurate shooting. And then hold a 5kg heavy unhandy rifle in your hand and repeat that. It wouldn't probably take very long, but it isn't a instant thing like it is in RO.

Upvote 0
Well i think if you saw a guy with a nagant peering down his ironsights at you in real life and you had a mp40 your instinct would be to start moving quickly in a zig zag pattern whilst blasting away with suppressing fire, all the time trying to seek adequate cover of course. I find it perfectly feasible that at close ranges (0-50 metres) an experienced smger could hit a man with at least one bullet out of the 30 or so. Isnt that what the ppsh41 71 round drum was designed for? Give a robust weapon with a high rof and capacity to undertrained soldiers - they mighnt be accurate but theyve more of a chance with 71 bullets to either suppress or kill

Upvote 0
My first reaction would probably be to scream an obscenity while diving for cover, then worry about shooting. Or at least think some unpleasant thoughts his way and hope the Tula gods are on my side :)

Anyway, I would agree that while moving the hipshooting could use a bit more wobble. But when stationary hipshooting is hard enough in game. The people who do it consistantly are generally well practiced vets.

And to whoever said 'you're not just holding the rifle, it's attached to you 'so it shouldn't take as long to bring up the pistol, I disagree. With current tactical slings you can litterally drop the rifle and go to pistol, but WWII rifles used a simple shoulder sling, and all pistol holsters of the time (AFAIK) were the large 'flap' type, which don't exactly lend themselves to quick draws. I think it's fine as is.

EDIT: Also, the low ready carry that is used today wasn't tought as a basic military principle in WWII was it? I'm not 100% sure on this, but I do believe the training was more how to shoot than how to be ready to shoot. That said, I'm sure even if it wasn't part of the training the people who made it through th war picked up on it pretty quick, as it does feel much more natural than just popping up the gun for shots.

Upvote 0
This is probably one of my biggest gripes about RO. I don't mind that people can fire from the hip. What bothers me is the fact that when you do fire from the hip, you will always hit the same place everytime. There is no variation. So if you figure out how much to hold off, using the barrel, its almost as good as aiming. My problem with this is realism. If any of you were in the military or even have some experience shooting, you know there is NO way you could be that accurate firing from the hip and in most cases while moving too. The accuracy during hip shooting really needs to be toned down IMHO. Am I the only one that thinks this?

Idiot/Newb. Ah yes finally found the thread where I can truely laugh and feel evil at the same time.

Upvote 0
Idiot/Newb. Ah yes finally found the thread where I can truely laugh and feel evil at the same time.

This is where I can say I've truely found someone with ZERO military or combat experience as well as someone that has NO experience with firing weapons. I thought RO was supposed to be realistic, not arcadish. In my 16 years in the Army, infantry and sniper school and combat tours, I have yet to meet anyone that can fire from the hip while moving and be consistant as in here. The point is realism and it definantly ISN'T in RO as far as this subject is concerned.

If you're not going to contribute please don't troll the thread. You obviously have nothing of value to add to this conversation.

Upvote 0
maybe you should realize that this is still "only" a game :) this game has it "rules" like "it is sometimes better to try hipshot+run instead of aim carefully" and many players can decide for this more often than any of them would do it in RL... just because dying does not hurt... and freeaim in RO is perfect as it is... of course you can learn how to hipshot pretty good even for longer distances... but that is the difference between good and bad players...

Again, as advertised, RO is supposed to be based on realism. America's Army definantly has it covered better than in here. I'm not sure where you missed the part about RO not being acadish, well, it wasn't supposed to be.

Upvote 0
I don't see the problem with Hipshooting. It still requires some degree of skill, and if you miss, you will surely die. Riflemen need a chance in close range, or if they are ambushed, and hipshooting is there only hope in point blank range. It takes long to bring up Iron Sights, and you will be dead by then.

I agree with this poster. Speaking as somebody who almost always gets stuck playing a Strelok or Schuetze, I think hipshooting in RO strikes a good balance between realism and playability. It's not completely realistic, but it does balance the game, by giving bolt-action riflemen a chance at close range.

I don't know what servers the OP is playing on, but in my experience, hits beyond close range with a hip shot are pure luck. Even at CLOSE range, hits with a hip shot are often just luck. I've been in situations where an attacker charged me with bayonet or gun butt, and killed me after I missed with two or three hip shots--and I'm fairly accurate. I've also charged enemies and bayoneted them after THEY missed with hipshots at point-blank range.

Hip shots may not be truly realistic--but then, neither is coming back to life after you're been killed. Both are necessary compromises with reality to make the game playable and fun.

Upvote 0
This is probably one of my biggest gripes about RO. I don't mind that people can fire from the hip. What bothers me is the fact that when you do fire from the hip, you will always hit the same place everytime. There is no variation. So if you figure out how much to hold off, using the barrel, its almost as good as aiming. My problem with this is realism. If any of you were in the military or even have some experience shooting, you know there is NO way you could be that accurate firing from the hip and in most cases while moving too. The accuracy during hip shooting really needs to be toned down IMHO. Am I the only one that thinks this?

Well, I spent the last week practcing 2 hours every day JUST on Hip shooting at map objects (posters, poles and windows) to get it right.
Its ALOT of hard work, especially with the semi auto and Semi-sniper.
But now after 10.000's of shots, ive finally managed to gain some accuracy!
(well deserved)...

Even with this accuracy it's still a great risk shooting from the hip if u miss the first or second shot, as the enemy by that time has managed to deploy his Ironsight.

The maximum purposeful range for hipshooting the SMG, I think is about 20-25m with short burst, and 10m for long bursts, after that you run too great risk of being IS'ed (by an average shooter)

About 40-50m with the Semi-auto, and 10m with the Bolt.
(from my experience)

Also I think having a good hip shoot skill, will decrease the time for you to line up the IS quickly (so you dont need to adjust), so I beleive all serious players should consider perfecting this skill for what its worth :)

Upvote 0
I dont think hipshooting is that effective. I have barely been shot with hipshots at ranges greater than 30m and if i were they were almost always very lucky or they fired a gazzillion rounds.

I think i am one of the better hipshooters and i still cant hit someone at 30 m all the time but then my greatest skill with hipshooting is my very low reaction time and accuracy at short ranges. I can out perform a semi or smg quite often in cqb just with hipshooting.

Upvote 0
This alone would indicate that hipshooting is too easy... think about it: Who would honestly hipshoot a guy from 40m away.

9/10 you will miss at this range with hip shots, and if you don't then you are a hip shooting god like that guy in the video or got lucky. If you have no time to go to iron sight before the guy gets behind cover then just take a shot from the hip - yea it will take some skill or luck, but it would in real life too and you WOULD if you had to. If its a guy at 40m away though you might as well go to iron sights like you would in real life

KrazyKraut can YOU hip shoot at 40m without fail nearly every time? If you can't then how can you say its easy?

I dont think hipshooting is that effective. I have barely been shot with hipshots at ranges greater than 30m and if i were they were almost always very lucky or they fired a gazzillion rounds.

I think i am one of the better hipshooters and i still cant hit someone at 30 m all the time but then my greatest skill with hipshooting is my very low reaction time and accuracy at short ranges. I can out perform a semi or smg quite often in cqb just with hipshooting.

Yea its close range that its effective (for me anyway). About 0 - 10m

Last edited:
Upvote 0
9/10 you will miss at this range with hip shots, and if you don't then you are a hip shooting god like that guy in the video or got lucky. If you have no time to go to iron sight before the guy gets behind cover then just take a shot from the hip - yea it will take some skill or luck, but it would in real life too and you WOULD if you had to. If its a guy at 40m away though you might as well go to iron sights like you would in real life

KrazyKraut can YOU hip shoot at 40m without fail nearly every time? If you can't then how can you say its easy?
No. But let's cut the range down to 30 or better 25 metres, you'd have either SVT or G43. In real life that *still* is a distance where you'd "IS" (spell it "ice", makes it sound cooler :p ) the enemy. But in RO? I'll rather jog towards him strafing left and right and empty my 10 round clip into him, because the third or fourth bullet will hit him. At least. And that's what's stupid. Like I said it's not the hipsohooting accuracy in general. It's a combination of the hipshooting accuracy while moving made worse by a too long time to bring up the sights.

Upvote 0