• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How do you guys prefer the gunsounds to be?

Jerren

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2011
Hi you awesome peoples, I am one of the sound effects devs on the rising storm team. My job is to record and produce highly realistic gunsounds for the upcoming Rising Storm Mod. However, I want to have your opinion on the type of gun sounds you all prefer.
So far, I have noticed that even tho RO2 has pretty realistic gun sound recording, some complain that the gun sounds are not powerful enough and don't have enough" boom" sound. Now In my experience on the gun range firing weapons, in real life, guns have more of a "pop" sound, and the further away you get, they actually have a fire cracker sound, so there isn't much of a "boom".. Here is an example of the sound im talking about :
Distant Gunfire - YouTube
I have designed the guns sound so far to produce THIS effect. But my question is, would you guys prefer that, or would you prefer for the sounds to have a lot of bass, and more BOOM? I can make the sounds very realistic, but that "MIGHT" not please those who are used to guns sounding very powerful with a lot of bass (counter strike). So just seeking some opinions. It comes down to, do you prefer RO1 sounds which has more boom, or RO2 type of gun sounds which is more treble and sound more like "fire crackers". Thanks for the input.
BTW Here is a mod I created for Brothers in arms which features real recorded gunsounds, so this is an example of the type of gunsound effect possible: Brothers in Arms, realistic version, "bia 4" - YouTube

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadrach
Lovely!

I like when the combination of hollywood boom, and reality pop are used.
What I notice the most are the after sounds, or resulting echo reverberation.
So when you hear an MG going off the actual firing is pop pop pop but once the mg stops firing there is some boom as the echo travels away from the gun.

Rifles I don't like when they sound like I just fired an HE 105mm round. They do have more of a treble pop than any real bass Especially outside. Only inside in a box do you get that BOOM because the muzzle crack immediately returns to you instead of traveling away.

Emphasis on the reverberation effect I think is a must. I rarely hear the sound wave traveling out in shooters. If you ever fired a rifle prone in an open field you can actually hear the soundwave traveling outwards. I am sure that is a pretty difficult thing to reproduce with 500 sound effects happening.

More treble for your trouble.

Upvote 0
Only weapon sounds i don't really like are the pistols (especially the German 38), when you have sounds for games, you really have to get the feeling you are firing a weapon, i don't get that with the pistols at the moment, they really sound like popguns and sound weak. The grenades can use more volume as well....

Upvote 0