• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Solution] possible fix for crashing on map load

xGear

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2011
I just tried this out and my game is working, almost brought a tear to my eye lmao.

But I need to see if this will work for anybody else so I need somebody to try it out.

In the ROengine.ini go down to [Engine.ISVHacks] and turn these from false to true.

bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True

PumpWindowMessagesWhenRenderThreadStalled=True

I tried that and it's working fine now.

You can find the ROengine.ini in My Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\ROGame\Config

Also this is not a fix for the server browser, it's suppose to be a fix for when you are already joining a server and it crashes during the map loading.

Last edited:
Reactions: daschewy
Ok I reverted to default and tried different servers and different ways to join (console and joining friends game) and It crashes during the map load.

So this fix definitely does something, there most be other variables.

drswank, did you install the UE3 Redistributable?

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=57699

The main issue to me seems to be that the background video got troubles with the alpha maps of the serverbrowserlist. So your computer will have serious issues playing back that video.

With your fix it looks like there is a slight delay in obtaining that list so that the video loads for a bit and the menu. Allowing you atleast to go to say the friends tab.

Upvote 0
Ok I reverted to default and tried different servers and different ways to join (console and joining friends game) and It crashes during the map load.

So this fix definitely does something, there most be other variables.

drswank, did you install the UE3 Redistributable?

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=57699

Yes, and even played 3 hours last night. The problem started this morning. I have literally done zero on the computer between last night's successful RO2 session, and this morning's unsuccessful RO2 crash session. It's so odd. The game seems to be getting worse.

Just reinstalled the game, now I can't even get past the server browser CTD problem... gosh, the game is decaying before my eyes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just tried this out and my game is working, almost brought a tear to my eye lmao.

But I need to see if this will work for anybody else so I need somebody to try it out.

In the ROengine.ini go down to [Engine.ISVHacks] and turn these from false to true.

bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True

PumpWindowMessagesWhenRenderThreadStalled=True

I tried that and it's working fine now.

Also from google researching, this seems to be a UE3 engine problem, not a bug specific to RO as alot games that run on the UE3 engine seems to have had this problem.

Didn't work for me. I just have major serverbrowser lag, game srarts up fine though.

On a sidenote, I left the game alt tabbed out for a while, when I returned the lag had gone but soon returned again.

Upvote 0