• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A Fresh Coat of Dirt

Reise

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006
Maine, US
This isn't as much a suggestion as it is a personal hope of mine. I've spent the last few nights watching documentaries on the horrors of Stalingrad, and I can't help but notice how much more bleak and gritty the scenes from the battle are compared to what we've seen so far in previews for RO2.

I understand the game isn't finished yet, but I'm hoping the battlefields and soldiers themselves receive a fresh coat of dirt to highlight that atmosphere. Right now things are a little on the sterile side. Pure white snow and (in some cases) sunny skies don't seem to mirror that forlorn environment seen in wartime footage.

Since the early previews things have dirtied up a bit, and I hope the trend continues. TBH even the raw recruits should have their share of fresh dirt. But TL;DR: I just hope that in the end the game winds up with the perfect atmosphere to go with its many gameplay features.

you need to have more initiative. a personal request like this will get ignored unless you can provide them with high quality dirt, dust, dry and wet mud layers of varying sizes and shapes, and further categorize it by splash rate and direction for them to apply to their textures.

Surely its just a matter of modifying the existing player skin :confused: - Reise didn't say that the dirt should be dynamic (although I thought the dynamic modification of skins in Mafia 2 was very nicely done imo).

Personally, I would like to see a range of skins suited to the environment. Grubby and muddy if its damp / raining etc or dry and dusty if its a sunny day. Of course gameplay needs to be taken into account in terms of learning characters skins to tell the teams apart.

Upvote 0
I've spent the last few nights watching documentaries on the horrors of Stalingrad, and I can't help but notice how much more bleak and gritty the scenes from the battle are compared to what we've seen so far in previews for RO2.

Keep in mind the documentary footage often sometimes always is in B&W. Quality of the footage is often bad and dark. And a lot of it is made after a specific battle with propaganda purpose. Smoke sometimes added and stuff like that.

This all contribute to the fact that in our mind a Stalingrad scene must be dark, dirty and gritty. Smoke everywhere and its cloudy and dark.

But a sunny wintermorning with fresh fallen snow is very very bright and clear. An sunny august scene around noon is clear to. I just try to tell there must be a balance.

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
Keep in mind the documentary footage often sometimes always is in B&W. Quality of the footage is often bad and dark. And a lot of it is made after a specific battle with propaganda purpose. Smoke sometimes added and stuff like that.

This all contribute to the fact that in our mind a Stalingrad scene must be dark, dirty and gritty. Smoke everywhere and its cloudy and dark.

Hmm I thought I mentioned something about the black and white making it seem more dramatic, but I must have cut it before posting. I was under the impression that a decent amount of the Soviet films made during the battle were authentic and non-staged.

But yeah I can imagine it was sunny out occasionally, like before and after the bombing of the city, but there should be a mix of both settings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wonder what the skins will look like for the germans in any december maps.

btw speaking of black and white films, wouldn't that be cool to have a mod where everything is in black and white?

how about an option to turn the screen black and white and add granuals like a black and white film. sure it would be a disadvantage but it be a player side option. :D

Upvote 0
Maybe during a battle, overtime depending on how 'far' the battle of Stalingrad is, things get dirtyied up?
For example: 1st skirmish of the battle, all clean buildings not knocked down.
Then as the time period progresses (or depending on what battle) things are torn, looks like crap and you wish you were wearing some socks instead of sandals today.

Upvote 0