• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Concern about grain elevator

heady its not just a "skybox":). "realism" is a word that is almost synonymous for "brown" , "assloads of green", or "overly dark and depressing". I would like battlefields to feature something other then that norm, ie the realistic weather of that time. too many games set the mood / tone to "uber sombre" by making the world look like your viewing it through shyte stained goggles.

In an odd way i would rather have unrealistically bright and crisp day over the dark sombre stuff as a break from the norm. OR have a varying weather system for each map which generates the weather in each map as you start the map, so the map could be bright and sunny one time, and raining the next.

Exactly. This was why The Pacific wasn't desaturated like Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan, which had a washed out gray atmosphere.

Upvote 0
To address the concern about all the maps feeling gray and gloomy - that's not going to happen. A simple way to check this fact is by actually looking at screenshots of all the maps.

We want each map to have an unique atmosphere to it. The two most similar maps light/atmosphere at the moment are Grain Elevator and Station. It's possible either one will change, as it is with the rest of the maps.

A lot of atmosphere and mood we're try to achieve are based on when the actual battle occurred. Spartanovka takes place in August, which was very hot and dry. So the map features dry/burned grass, bright sun and dusty air.

In contrast we have Red October Factory which takes place in February, which was damned cold. Through lighting and post effects we gave the map a frosty, dark feeling with a cold color palette.

Upvote 0
To address the concern about all the maps feeling gray and gloomy - that's not going to happen. A simple way to check this fact is by actually looking at screenshots of all the maps.

We want each map to have an unique atmosphere to it. The two most similar maps light/atmosphere at the moment are Grain Elevator and Station. It's possible either one will change, as it is with the rest of the maps.

A lot of atmosphere and mood we're try to achieve are based on when the actual battle occurred. Spartanovka takes place in August, which was very hot and dry. So the map features dry/burned grass, bright sun and dusty air.

In contrast we have Red October Factory which takes place in February, which was damned cold. Through lighting and post effects we gave the map a frosty, dark feeling with a cold color palette.

Sounds good, but, please not overdo the atmosphere with post-procesing. Usually, bright day turns into weird blobby bloomy yellow sky.

Also, while I appreciate the realism and attention to detail as to do it how the battle actually happened. Keep always an open door for a possible Day/night/weather dynamic system update in the future... this would be IMO, one of those things that would add a lot of replayability. And the advantages would outweigh the possible realism compromises by far. Like the incursion of the MKB (which I support)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Keep always an open door for a possible Day/night/weather dynamic system update in the future... this would be IMO, one of those things that would add a lot of replayability. And the advantages would outweigh the possible realism compromises by far. Like the incursion of the MKB (which I support)

Odds of this are slim to none. The way Epic accomplished it in the UDK feature trailer is a dynamic light that would make most computers crap out. So unless we decided to make our min reqs 8 core processor and Nvidia 580's and AMD 5800's....

Upvote 0
Odds of this are slim to none. The way Epic accomplished it in the UDK feature trailer is a dynamic light that would make most computers crap out. So unless we decided to make our min reqs 8 core processor and Nvidia 580's and AMD 5800's....

Well, its not necessary that the time or weather changes during the play, but making it random at start (or server side configurable) would be a good plus, and would make every round feel different without straining CPUs.

Upvote 0
Odds of this are slim to none. The way Epic accomplished it in the UDK feature trailer is a dynamic light that would make most computers crap out.

Light and weather conditions hardly change during 30 minutes beside it starting to snow and stopping to snow or starting to rain and stopping to rain.

Its more like perhaps even having some completely seperate map files with different time or lightning conditions. With perhaps slight changes in game play.

Think for instance like zhitomir and zhitomirrevenge. Playing a map in reverse order and higher initial destruction with a different look makes a map play differently.

Ontopic:
Personally I like gritty skies, as long as the actual map still looks pretty bright. In empty skies there is not much to see, i love clouds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not really. It would pretty much mean an additional map for every "different" setting.

So, wouldn't it be possible to add that night/day/weather dynamic cycle (the one that runs so bad), but also making it so, that before the round starts, the server freezes it at some (random or specified) point?.

One map for each setting would be a dirty way out, but someone who understands those editors could make the changes in no time. The problem is that you could end up with a 300 maps pack, but hey, I have Napoleon total war, if that thing can take up to 21GB, why not RO?. (Sorry, I tried, and I just can't figure those editors out, or I would make them myself, the further I got was extracting the voices from KF, and corrupting my game files)

The other inconvenience is that when a map gets patched, you have to patch all versions, or make new versions from it. So I'd like you to really look into the first paragraph solution instead ><

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I had the exact same idea as Fedorov (random day-time conditions on map start). I don't understand why no-one does that? Making a dynamic day-night cycle is not that difficult (I did it myself for some university projects), taking into consideration that you don't need the actual dynamics during gameplay.
It can give you additional 3-5 variations of the map, which can be quite a significant change to the default map.

And speaking about post-processing, I really like when the image is a bit desaturated. Dunno why, but it gives a much more realistic feel.
For example you can watch this video of the game series IL-2. Check the sequence 00:08 - 00:28 and the sequence 00:30 - 00:50. IMHO the second sequence looks much better. YouTube - Storm of War vs Wings of Prey video mashup

Upvote 0
desaturated isn't realistic. it's part of post procession used in films for atmosphere...and has carried over to games in the form of puke green or fecal brown smeared across the screen. just look around you, is every hue dulled? didn't think so.

as for why no one does a bunch of different versions of the same map...well because there's very little return for all that effort, which could easily be spent on creating something new. day night cycles has always been somewhat of a gimmick advertised as being this great thing when it's really not that significant.

Upvote 0
desaturated isn't realistic. it's part of post procession used in films for atmosphere...and has carried over to games in the form of puke green or fecal brown smeared across the screen. just look around you, is every hue dulled? didn't think so.

as for why no one does a bunch of different versions of the same map...well because there's very little return for all that effort, which could easily be spent on creating something new. day night cycles has always been somewhat of a gimmick advertised as being this great thing when it's really not that significant.

The problem is that not all of the games have a realistic color brightness and saturation, and some of the colors are overdone, so in most cases I'd prefer a desaturated version, and in the example video - I prefer the second sequence.
And desaturated, doesn't mean 50%, it could be slightly grayish, and it might look much nicer. But that's my opinion.

Upvote 0
So, wouldn't it be possible to add that night/day/weather dynamic cycle (the one that runs so bad), but also making it so, that before the round starts, the server freezes it at some (random or specified) point?.

Dynamic is dynamic, doesn't matter if it's "frozen" or not.
Or then, as previously said, you'd have to build (which takes hours) different versions of each map with the editor.

Upvote 0