• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Riot Shield

Whenever you add a weapon you have to ask:

- What does it add to the game?
- Who gets it?
- What is it's niche?

I think it has potential, but you need to give it a niche, a role and reason for being there. Every other weapon has one - the riot shield should be no exception.

Personally, I like the idea of it being a weapon for a zerker to use in concert with the machete (or some form of night stick). We've even got a character in full on riot police gear - Constable Briar would look pretty natural running about with a riot shield and one-handed melee weapon and so long as the shield held some ind of niche of it's own (perhaps increased defense at the expense of offense - a Zerker being able to tank and hold the line) it would be an interesting addition.

It could be an awesome teamplay 'weapon' on certain maps. As another mentioned they'd be of great use to zerkers on cramped maps, giving them situational tactics - on a huge map like farm it's better to wield a katana and run like a manic, where on biotics it might be better to grab a pal, and a shield for both of you, and provide a defensive line for your mates while they shoot over and between you and into the zeds.

Upvote 0
@Wolfdust

If they did put it in there really is not a specimen who can really get through a few sheilded zerks I think.

Sirens come to mind as a very obvious choice since they could do that already. I'm sure that if it was feasible to make the shield stop a zed (perhaps using a modified version of the clot-grab mechanism?), it would be feasible to make certain zeds ignore (following the example - like how zerks ignore clot-grab) it entirely. An FP or Scrake seems a likely candidate for punching through a zerker shield wall.

They would have to put the WPC new ZED in and give him some ability to break through the sheild or knock the sheild back to make it a bit more of a fight ^_^

I would totally be down with the Brute being used for a shield-wall-breaker as well. It's an awesome little mod that I fully support going official should TWI decide to use it. :D

Upvote 0
I am surprised by that some ppl think riot shield is a joke on this game:confused:
For me, katana is the biggest joke on this game.

Riot Shield is very suitable with kf.
see kf's default player skins. there is a riot police.

The Riot Shield
*pros
- it can prevent any attack from front, except siren, and flame from husk.
- it can push specimen off, like l4d.
- it is not broken

*cons
- you can use only one handed weapons, but not primary weapon
- very big weight
- slow movement

I believe the riot shield might be fun on this game:D

If it were to be put in the game I have a few questions:

- How big would it be, body length?

- What would the damage resistance be on it?

- How much would it weigh?

- Would you only be able to wield the riot shield?

- Can you switch between the shield and a primary weapon such as an AK47?

- Can you put spikes on the shield for fun? <not a real question but it would be fun no?

-

Reactions: Lacedaemonius
Upvote 0
*pros
- it is not broken
-
This is not pretentious at all...

In fact, the type of riot shield you are talking about (it doesn't have durability and provided melee invulnerability) is the worst way of adding it.

If you have a berserker sitting in the middle of a doorway with 4 other players that have weapons with decent range and a medic, you couldn't lose.

it can prevent any attack from front
Oh, like FP or Scrake attacks. That isn't broken at all.

If you had read the links I posted, you would have seen that the best option was a riot shield that provided additional damage resistance versus front attacks and would have durability to survive lots of little attacks or a few heavy attacks, at most. Furthermore, it would work better if a particular weapon was tethered to the shield combo because treating the shield as a weapon with that can combo with any one-handed weapon would require coding for each combo as a separate weapon and would make switching screwy.

Upvote 0
The only time you would use it is against the patty.
jh9bwo.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your not getting it are you? The knife and frags were from the first KF in 2005, before suggestions from COD never existed. The AK47 was decided by the developers not by the community.

Doesn't matter. You said all CoD weapons must go. That means the aforementioned weapons need to go as well.
You mad, bro?

Nope, not really.

Reactions: Sammers
Upvote 0
it doesn't matter if it's from CoD or CS. However, just because it isn't automatically disqualified doesn't make it a good idea.

Can I be honest with you here?
Look at my sig. . .

CoD gives people the impression of fake skill. CS today is just full of veterans who will kill any noobs who just got the game.

The ideas from either game shouldn't be take because they a elite in that game but they would make a good addition to Killing Floor.

With that being said, I honestly don't want to see the CoD ideas repeated in Killing Floor because they have 4 games of CoD with the same basic ideas and ruined some online play. . .

But what we should be looking at for game ideas is old school games like Zombies Ate My Neighbors. . . SERIOUSLY < < < Look up some of the items you use and some can just make it in here. . .

Upvote 0